What's new

What ya eating?

You guys do a non oily keema ? how ?

Fry it in a little bit of butter (as you would fry eggs). Add salt and pepper to taste. Simple as can be.

I like to add chopped onions a couple minutes before taking it off the stove.
We call it katchi pyaaz ka qeema.

Serve with chopped chilis, coriander, the usual stuff.

One addition I have picked up from Iranian cuisine is to fry tomatoes by themselves and add them on the side. It's a completely different taste to cooking with tomatoes.

Steak & Eggs for breakfast.

Attachments

• 20220521_121750.jpg
    20220521_121750.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 30
Fry it in a little bit of butter (as you would fry eggs). Add salt and pepper to taste. Simple as can be.

I like to add chopped onions a couple minutes before taking it off the stove.
We call it katchi pyaaz ka qeema.

Serve with chopped chilis, coriander, the usual stuff.

One addition I have picked up from Iranian cuisine is to fry tomatoes by themselves and add them on the side. It's a completely different taste to cooking with tomatoes.
Nice, looks like I'll have to give those suggestions a go.

If doing an angrez style breakfast, I love a grilled tomato on the side...aadha kato, and brown sugar laga ke heavy bottomed pan or preferably grill mein khoob pakao, then later add eggs, sausages, baked beans and whathavyou.

1653407848675.png

1653408026730.png

ekdum mast caramelize ho jaata hai and makes for a nice crust when done perfectly 🤤

Had poha, a light and common breakfast staple across pretty much all of India.

View attachment 847566

simple flattened rice just tossed in some spices and often served with fried peanuts and potatoes in the mix (I don't like mutter/peas in mine). Wonder if they eat this in Pakistan as well :what:
We have something called Chevda in countless varieties. Basically it's a mix of flattened rice or other grains, lentils or channa fried with curry leaves, black salt, chaat massala, sugar, lemon juice or citric acid, fried peanuts and raisins. It's very popular in Karachi, specially with the memon or gujrati community. I love it. :smitten:

We have something called Chevda in countless varieties. Basically it's a mix of flattened rice or other grains, lentils or channa fried with curry leaves, black salt, chaat massala, sugar, lemon juice or citric acid, fried peanuts and raisins. It's very popular in Karachi, specially with the memon or gujrati community. I love it. :smitten:

In India poha is eaten as breakfast mainly in western India (Maharastra and Gujarat). In recent years it has become popular in other regions too as a healthy and light breakfast among health conscious people.

Dry Chivda on the other hand has a version in almost every state. The version found in Eastern UP and Bihar is the tastiest.

Cheevda is a namkeen, Gujarati origin if I'm not wrong, ubiquitous everywhere in north India. I like the khatta meetha one, which I think is the original one, Gujjus are notorious for making everything sweet, even their main courses have sugar in them some time. Great light snack, love it !

AFAIK it came from Gujarat to Karachi indeed and their footprint is well defined in our street food and many snacks. Dahi bada, meetha dahi bada, mash ki daal ka dahi bada, dahi phulki, chana chaat, samosa chaat, namak para chaat, daal sev to name a few are quite common in Karachi. My personal favorite gujarati dish is Kadi pakoda with plain rice or besan ki roti. :smitten:

AFAIK it came from Gujarat to Karachi indeed and their footprint is well defined in our street food and many snacks. Dahi bada, meetha dahi bada, mash ki daal ka dahi bada, dahi phulki, chana chaat, samosa chaat, namak para chaat, daal sev to name a few are quite common in Karachi. My personal favorite gujarati dish is Kadi pakoda with plain rice or besan ki roti. :smitten:
Wow nice, all of those sound super familiar and are staples of western indian snaky chaat cuisine but found all over the north west in one form or the other.

Kadi ? as in Kadi chawal ? its a thick yellow gravy with besan/gram flour ke pakode, its a curd/dahi based gravy and finished with a mirchi ka tadka.. I love it, nice and light.

1653503126433.png

not sure what region it originated from, a quick wiki says it is popular in both countries.

Wow nice, all of those sound super familiar and are staples of western indian snaky chaat cuisine but found all over the north west in one form or the other.

Kadi ? as in Kadi chawal ? its a thick yellow gravy with besan/gram flour ke pakode, its a curd/dahi based gravy and finished with a mirchi ka tadka.. I love it, nice and light.

View attachment 847837

not sure what region it originated from, a quick wiki says it is popular in both countries.

I believe Kadi's roots lie in UP or Vihar and their version is the most consumed in Pakistan. Gujarati kadi is served with or without pakoda although I'll refuse to eat it if I'm robbed of the pakoda. Veggies could be added and there's always coco-nutty aftertaste in each bite.

In London I had Rajastani kadi and it has a texture of a thick creamy stew with oker and potatoes but no curry leaves. I was truly disappointed. Kadi is incomplete without a curry leaf and green chili tarka. :nono:

I believe Kadi's roots lie in UP or Vihar and their version is the most consumed in Pakistan. Gujarati kadi is served with or without pakoda although I'll refuse to eat it if I'm robbed of the pakoda. Veggies could be added and there's always coco-nutty aftertaste in each bite.

In London I had Rajastani kadi and it has a texture of a thick creamy stew with oker and potatoes but no curry leaves. I was truly disappointed. Kadi is incomplete without a curry leaf and green chili tarka. :nono:
Agree, also, the tadka also has rye ke daney ? or something too.. that also adds to the whole thing apart from the deep fried mirchi.

oho, bhook laga di.. might have to fry a sausage or two now

Agree, also, the tadka also has rye ke daney ? or something too.. that also adds to the whole thing apart from the deep fried mirchi.

oho, bhook laga di.. might have to fry a sausage or two now

My fav tarka's include:

Simple pyaz ka tarka goes with channa daal, sada pulao (zeera pulao), tahiri and haleem.
Zeera + garlic tarka for masoor daal
Curry leaf, green chili, haldi and chili flakes tarka with kadi.
Julienne ginger and onion tarka with black lentils.
Ajwain (carom) tarka with many stirfried veggies and toasted bread :smitten:

My fav tarka's include:

Simple pyaz ka tarka goes with channa daal, sada pulao (zeera pulao), tahiri and haleem.
Zeera + garlic tarka for masoor daal
Curry leaf, green chili, haldi and chili flakes tarka with kadi.
Julienne ginger and onion tarka with black lentils.
Ajwain (carom) tarka with many stirfried veggies and toasted bread :smitten:
Tahiri ? you have that too ? :o

I love that stuff, they put gobi, gajar, hari mirch in all of it and it gets steamed nicely... best enjoyed with a tamatar/pyaz ka raita (kinda like a veggie biriyani).. not sure if they have a meat version, never heard of one around here anyway.

and thanks for helping decide tomorrow's lunch, tahiri it will be !

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom