What's new

What ya eating?

I'll put it in another way - Value for money south Indian food is not easy to find in Delhi, while you can get value for money north Indian in Mumbai and BLR. Swagath is good but expensive. Similarly there used to be one Naivadyam but again fairly pricey. I am used to Malabar Parathas for Rs 20 and chicken roast (half plate) for Rs 40 in a Kerala mess next door. Opposite my house an Udupi restaurant makes finger licking dosas for Rs 50 and giant Thatte Idli for Rs 20 with ghee.
Mostly, but not entirely true.. there are thela stalls doing dosas (not the greatest quality though, has to be said)

stuff like this:
1653408860196.png

decent food, but watered down sambar, dosas/utapam are far from Sagar level stuff.. :/

but you get what you pay for, so..

I'm sure its much better down where you're at when it comes to this type of cuisine, its just so much more prevalent.

Just to flip the script a bit, down south, as much as I love it... they fail miserably with their versions of cholle bhaturey... so I stick to the regional fare.

Mostly, but not entirely true.. there are thela stalls doing dosas (not the greatest quality though, has to be said)

stuff like this:
View attachment 847408

decent food, but watered down sambar, dosas/utapam are far from Sagar level stuff.. :/

but you get what you pay for, so..

I'm sure its much better down where you're at when it comes to this type of cuisine, its just so much more prevalent.

Just to flip the script a bit, down south, as much as I love it... they fail miserably with their versions of cholle bhaturey... so I stick to the regional fare.

Chhole Bahture is a disaster outside Delhi. And I love them so much, I learnt the recipe from a Delhi chef and make them at home. 90% authentic taste. My friend circle loves it so much they almost demand it every month. As a result I have had to purchase a huge cooker because when I make it, I have to make it for 6-7 families.

Chhole Bahture is a disaster outside Delhi. And I love them so much, I learnt the recipe from a Delhi chef and make them at home. 90% authentic taste. My friend circle loves it so much they almost demand it every month. As a result I have had to purchase a huge cooker because when I make it, I have to make it for 6-7 families.
:)

Bro, if ever in Dilli.. ek paharganj wala hai.. omg, divine !

and there's lots of good tutorial vids on it.. practice makes perfect.. I <3 ghar ke much lighter chhole/chawal.. different styles

My friend circle loves it so much they almost demand it every month. As a result I have had to purchase a huge cooker because when I make it, I have to make it for 6-7 families.

Sir Jee: Tau keya "Maharani Jee" ko "baawarchan" bana diya hae? :lol: :lol:

Sir Jee: Tau keya "Maharani Jee" ko "baawarchan" bana diya hae? :lol: :lol:
Sir jee,
I have learnt the hard way that demonstrating your culinary skills in front of your wife to impress her is counter productive. Since ours was a love marriage, I have indulged in this showmanship much before marriage, which has now come to haunt me.

Sir jee,
I have learnt the hard way that demonstrating your culinary skills in front of your wife to impress her is counter productive. Since ours was a love marriage, I have indulged in this showmanship much before marriage, which has now come to haunt me.

But, good, that you can cook inticate dishes yourself.

But, good, that you can cook inticate dishes yourself.

Hamare yahan ek kahawat hai - "Majboori ka naam Mahatma Gandhi"

When I was in my 20s, there were no food delivery apps. No Google Maps, nothing, no one telling you where to find good stuff. If petoo people like me had to satisfy an itch, we had to cook it ourselves.

Apna haath Jagannath.

Even otherwise, for people with meagre talents like me, cooking was all we could show off. Painting aur sculpting karni to aati nahin hai.

Gyala ka matlab kya hota hai saar ?

"Gyala"??? Never heard this word.

Hamare yahan ek kahawat hai - "Majboori ka naam Mahatma Gandhi"

When I was in my 20s, there were no food delivery apps. No Google Maps, nothing, no one telling you where to find good stuff. If petoo people like me had to satisfy an itch, we had to cook it ourselves.

Apna haath Jagannath.

Even otherwise, for people with meagre talents like me, cooking was all we could show off. Painting aur sculpting karni to aati nahin hai.

You are a humble person. You have an excellent analytical ability, which is very rare. These days, every intellectual faculty gets clouded by religion, faith, politics, nationalism etc. etc. It has become extremely difficult to remain rational, as well as humane, beyond the realm of personal faith.

Last edited:
Had poha, a light and common breakfast staple across pretty much all of India.

1653410333242.png

simple flattened rice just tossed in some spices and often served with fried peanuts and potatoes in the mix (I don't like mutter/peas in mine). Wonder if they eat this in Pakistan as well :what:

Remember seeing some vids of Pakistani breakfast and, man ! .. that was some srs heavy stuff, an oily meat curry with a very thick kubooz (Afghan style) bread... yikes 😱

probably works in very high altitude cold areas but not in the plains, and deffo not during the summers, gotta keep it light in garmio ki dino mein.

not much different in oily levels than the venerable chole bhature tbf, but a heavy meal like that to start the day just ruins it.. neend hi aati rehti hai uskay baad pooray din

eat like a pig, become a pig :sarcastic:

Remember seeing some vids of Pakistani breakfast and, man ! .. that was some srs heavy stuff, an oily meat curry with a very thick kubooz (Afghan style) bread...

The Afghan bread is amazing and, fresh out of the tandoor, is fantastic by itself with just cheese or butter.

I don't like the traditional halwa poori breakfast of Pakistan -- far too oily -- but another common breakfast is minced beef (qeema) with paratha or naan.

A solid, non-oily, protein-heavy breakfast with low-GI carbs will keep you fueled throughout the day without feeling heavy. You can even skip lunch.

The Afghan bread is amazing and, fresh out of the tandoor, is fantastic by itself with just cheese or butter.

I don't like the traditional halwa poori breakfast of Pakistan -- far too oily -- but another common breakfast is minced beef (qeema) with paratha or naan.

A solid, non-oily, protein-heavy breakfast with low-GI carbs will keep you fueled throughout the day without feeling heavy. You can even skip lunch.
Yeah, we used to have an old man Afghani seller go door to door with fresh kubooz back in the day, loved it with some oily spicy mutton but generally not for breakfast, unless nursing a hangover. :P

You guys do a non oily keema ? how ? they mostly look like this, thick layer of oil (which is delish in itself as a dip)

1653409995139.png

I've tried beef keema too, loved it, but is a bit hard to find, spl in a place like Delhi or up north generally.

oho, bhook lagva di yaar.. that poha didn't cut it, my inner pig is roaring for some now 😆

Yeah, we used to have an old man Afghani seller go door to door with fresh kubooz back in the day, loved it with some oily spicy mutton but generally not for breakfast, unless nursing a hangover. :P

You guys do a non oily keema ? how ? they mostly look like this, thick layer of oil (which is delish in itself as a dip)

View attachment 847574

I've tried beef keema too, loved it, but is a bit hard to find, spl in a place like Delhi or up north generally.

oho, bhook lagva di yaar.. that poha didn't cut it, my inner pig is roaring for some now 😆
Apke post padh kar ek mashhoor admi " shakaaal " ki yaad ati hai .
Unki ye line " kitna bhi khilado , bhuka hi rehta hai "aap par fit baithe hain
😏😏

Apke post padh kar ek mashhoor admi " shakaaal " ki yaad ati hai .
Unki ye line " kitna bhi khilado , bhuka hi rehta hai "aap par fit baithe hain
😏😏
lol, mera metabolism theek hai.. generally don't put on weight but diet ka thoda khayal to rakhna padta hai

mmgfyjcc.JPG

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom