Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I would like to kick start by saying

Bubble canopy
Thrust vectoring
Twin engine
Possible twin seat or a version of it.
Modular design so even panels can easily be replaced during combat and upgrading easy
Radar absorbing paint

Lots missing so let's see what people think

Bubble canopy
Thrust vectoring
Twin engine
Modular design so even panels can easily be replaced during combat and upgrading easy
Radar absorbing paint

next gen aesa radar.
some kind of pod mountable laser weapon further down the road.
next gen cockpit.
next gen EW measures.
array of next gen missles from longer range bvraams to hobs missles etc.
some new concepts introduced too that are not yet bieng applied elsewhere.

In my opinion...

1) it should be single engine medium aircraft. This would serve as a replacement for the older blocks of F16s and JF17s.

2) Avionics should either be domestic or sourced from the corresponding country(Turkey in case Pak buys TFX or China in case Pak goes for J31 or something like that). This should be done for the sake of commonality. Also AESA is a must.

3) No expense should be spared in making it stealth. This includes the shaping, composites, and RAM. Stealth is a huge advantage over the enemy.

4) knowing the constraints of Pak's economy...the savings could come from excluding TVC. TVC is costly...and for this single engine medium aircraft, which will become the next mainstay of the PAF(replacing JF17s and F16s gradually)...TVC would be an overkill and an unnecessary expense. Instead it could have canards to achieve high AoA...if those wouldn't effect its RCS too much.

Another aspect of savings would come from the fact that it's a single engine jet. This aircraft would not be intended for air superiority. For air superiority Pak can acquire off the shelf(or with some ToT) jets like TFX or J31 or something. This single engine jet would instead be multirole(including ground attack).

Some commonality of avionics or engine between this single engine 5th gen jet(Project Azm) and the twin engine(tip of the spear and lesser in numbers) 5th gen jet(TFX/J31/etc) would be immensely helpful. This commonality could reduce the cost, make maintainence easier, and improve aircraft availability rates.

Moreover this single engine medium 5th gen jet can be a huge success in terms of exports. There is currently only one single engine 5th gen jet(F35)...but it's not a medium jet. Additionally it comes with a ton of strings attached with the possibility of sanctions in war time...not to mention the huge cost, putting it out of reach for most countries. So in short Pak can corner the market in the absence of any competition in that category. After the next 10 to 15 years when the time rolls around for other nations that are not particularly rich to upgrade their jets, they would consider 5th gen jets. A single engine medium 5th gen jet(less costly to buy, fly, and maintain as compared to twin engine bigger 5th gen jets) with no strings attached and a modest price(if Pak can control cost over runs) would be a very appealing option.

End goal should be for Pak to only have two platforms that serve as a high/low mix. One being the rather expensive heavy twin engine 5th gen jet(for deep strike capabilities and air superiority) and the other being the lower cost medium single engine 5th gen jet(for being the workhorse and to make up numbers). It would be much easier to just have two types of fighter jets in terms of supply lines and maintenance facilities, especially if there is commonality between the two.

Before anyone gets all riled up...do know that this is just my opinion. I don't know if this is the path Pak would follow or if it's even achievable for Pak to be able to fund a clean sheet design like this.

Last edited:
In my opinion...

1) it should be single engine medium aircraft. This would serve as a replacement for the older blocks of F16s and JF17s.

2) Avionics should either be domestic or sourced from the corresponding country(Turkey in case Pak buys TFX or China in case Pak goes for J31 or something like that). This should be done for the sake of commonality. Also AESA is a must.

3) No expense should be spared in making it stealth. This includes the shaping, composites, and RAM. Stealth is a huge advantage over the enemy.

4) knowing the constraints of Pak's economy...the savings could come from excluding TVC. TVC is costly...and for this single engine medium aircraft, which will become the next mainstay of the PAF(replacing JF17s and F16s gradually)...TVC would be an overkill and an unnecessary expense. Instead it could have canards to achieve high AoA...if those wouldn't effect its RCS too much.

Another aspect of savings would come from the fact that it's a single engine jet. This aircraft would not be intended for air superiority. For air superiority Pak can acquire off the shelf(or with some ToT) jets like TFX or J31 or something. This single engine jet would instead be multirole(including ground attack).

Some commonality of avionics or engine between this single engine 5th gen jet(Project Azm) and the twin engine(tip of the spear and lesser in numbers) 5th gen jet(TFX/J31/etc) would be immensely helpful. This commonality could reduce the cost, make maintainence easier, and improve aircraft availability rates.

Moreover this single engine medium 5th gen jet can be a huge success in terms of exports. There is currently only one single engine 5th gen jet(F35)...but it's not a medium jet. Additionally it comes with a ton of strings attached with the possibility of sanctions in war time...not to mention the huge cost, putting it out of reach for most countries. So in short Pak can corner the market in the absence of any competition in that category. After the next 10 to 15 years when the time rolls around for other nations that are not particularly rich to upgrade their jets, they would consider 5th gen jets. A single engine medium 5th gen jet(less costly to buy, fly, and maintain as compared to twin engine bigger 5th gen jets) with no strings attached and a modest price(if Pak can control cost over runs) would be a very appealing option.

End goal should be for Pak to only have two platforms that serve as a high/low mix. One being the rather expensive heavy twin engine 5th gen jet(for deep strike capabilities and air superiority) and the other being the lower cost medium single engine 5th gen jet(for being the workhorse and to make up numbers). It would be much easier to just have two types of fighter jets in terms of supply lines and maintenance facilities, especially if there is commonality between the two.

Before anyone gets all riled up...do know that this is just my opinion. I don't know if this is the path Pak would follow or if it's even achievable for Pak to be able to fund a clean sheet design like this.
one correction, for air superiority Pakistan would need the j 20, j 31 is more on the lines of f 35, a multirole jet.

Bubble canopy
Thrust vectoring
Twin engine
Radar absorbing paint

Not sure if this is a serious question, Do Pakistan has a choice. We will get what comes in a package deal.

I would like to see a design first.
how do you design first before knowing what the parameters are? so you have to establish the requirements before the design.

Not sure if this is a serious question, Do Pakistan has a choice. We will get what comes in a package deal.
they are designing and developing. what do you mean do we have a choice?

Thrust vectoring,twin engine,stealth design,new bvr missiles with 400 km range ( hahahaha),small rcs,small size of plane,hmd,ew measures,long range air to surface missiles ( very long range to knock out sams),new generation of radar might be aesa radar,more hard points,overall it must look like gripen.we can do it.

Last edited:
how do you design first before knowing what the parameters are? so you have to establish the requirements before the design.

they are designing and developing. what do you mean do we have a choice?

We will do all the designing and developing in roughly around 5 years? we still do not have 100% design and develop capabilities for thunder, how 5th generation could be done.

We are working with our friends and they have already R&D and we have to choose while gaining operational experience and training.

I like to think logically and practically. I could be wrong eh.

one correction, for air superiority Pakistan would need the j 20, j 31 is more on the lines of f 35, a multirole jet.
Not necessarily. J31 is still in development and not set in stone. Take the F22 for example, it lacks the canards unlike the J20 but it is still super maneuverable due to TVC. The J31 too can achieve supermanueverability with TVC and possibly slight changes to its wings.

...and idk if China would export J20 to Pak.

OP is asking based on the scenario, Designing, developing, manufacturing locally and not using any developed platforms. discussion gone south...

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom