• Undergraduate student

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Graduate and working

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Post graduate Studies

Votes: 33 36.3%

• Total voters
Exactly!!! go to Amsterdam.

Just learn from Sri Ram Kumar not to get TOO excited about the trip before actually landing there! ;)

ehhh??? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the issue of how much time it takes for a PhD in the USA:

Many variables involved: University, Department, Thesis Advisor, Thesis Committee, Thesis topic choice.

I finished a PhD in Physics at a major mid-western state university in four years. I matriculated after my BS degree in Septembger 1967 and was granted my PhD degree in October 1971. One of my starting classmates finished in May of 1971, five months before me. Another of my starting classmates took 8 years to finish. The basic requirements for the degree could be completed in three years time if you could take a full credit load every semester and during the summer half-semester as well. the main variable for my physics fellow students was thesis topic choice and thesis advisor. Some choose a poor thesis topic that is difficult to bring to a successful conclusion. Some thesis advisors want more years of coolie labor out of their students than others. My cousin had gone to this same university six years before I did. He coached me in (1) choosing a thesis advisor by looking at how long the advisor's students took to finish (pick a quick one!) and (2) pick a thesis topic that has as much definitiveness as possible in that advisor's field of study.

My cousin finished his PhD in three years and was 21 years old when he finished. He was the son of a Christian missionary in India and went to a school for foreigners in India: Kodaikanal International School. This school let him graduate from "high school" at the age of 15. He came to the USA and went to a college affiliated with his father's (my uncle's) church. They let him graduate from college in three years, i.e. at age 18. He then went to the same big midwestern university that I later went to and earned a PhD in Organic Chemistry in 3.5 years. He went to work in the research laboratories of DuPont at age 21 as a research scientist. After four years at DuPont he was offered a university professorship and was a tenured faculty member by age 27. So, there are some very quick PhD's and many slow ones. Quick PhDs come about because of superior planning (by the student) or luck (a thesis topic that "clicks" from the word "go").

I completed my MBA from Punjab University in 2007

I also Qualified my ACCA in 2010 ( Though still have 1 yeas of articles left )

Currently i am Studying CFA II stage.

On the issue of how much time it takes for a PhD in the USA:

Many variables involved: University, Department, Thesis Advisor, Thesis Committee, Thesis topic choice.

I finished a PhD in Physics at a major mid-western state university in four years. I matriculated after my BS degree in Septembger 1967 and was granted my PhD degree in October 1971. One of my starting classmates finished in May of 1971, five months before me. Another of my starting classmates took 8 years to finish. The basic requirements for the degree could be completed in three years time if you could take a full credit load every semester and during the summer half-semester as well. the main variable for my physics fellow students was thesis topic choice and thesis advisor. Some choose a poor thesis topic that is difficult to bring to a successful conclusion. Some thesis advisors want more years of coolie labor out of their students than others. My cousin had gone to this same university six years before I did. He coached me in (1) choosing a thesis advisor by looking at how long the advisor's students took to finish (pick a quick one!) and (2) pick a thesis topic that has as much definitiveness as possible in that advisor's field of study.

My cousin finished his PhD in three years and was 21 years old when he finished. He was the son of a Christian missionary in India and went to a school for foreigners in India: Kodaikanal International School. This school let him graduate from "high school" at the age of 15. He came to the USA and went to a college affiliated with his father's (my uncle's) church. They let him graduate from college in three years, i.e. at age 18. He then went to the same big midwestern university that I later went to and earned a PhD in Organic Chemistry in 3.5 years. He went to work in the research laboratories of DuPont at age 21 as a research scientist. After four years at DuPont he was offered a university professorship and was a tenured faculty member by age 27. So, there are some very quick PhD's and many slow ones. Quick PhDs come about because of superior planning (by the student) or luck (a thesis topic that "clicks" from the word "go").

True, but like i said, in UK you can go from a 3 year Bachelor's degree to straight into PhD. However, you must grab your future thesis advisor by his freakin ballz..........otherwise you will have to foot the bill for another 3 years of expensive education.

All you need academically is a 2.1 degree (Upper second class honors) and they will be willing to offer you PhD. The thing is, once you have PhD in your hands, what to do next? UK is such a grim work place, coupled with gloomy weather all year round that i regret why i left USA. But then i don't blame myself....:P

Basically, i graduate next year, and i will definitely go for Masters as my field is so vast that i need to specialize somewhere to get to know more of it......but UK is 1 year Master and elsewhere is 2years. So lets see.

Exactly!!! go to Amsterdam.

Just learn from Sri Ram Kumar not to get TOO excited about the trip before actually landing there! ;)

ehhh??? ;)

The Dutch have increased regulation in Amsterdam, they want to shake off that tourist for drugs reputation. They have actually asked many of the so called 'smart shops' to close down. So it's not easy to get stuff there anymore....thought still a lot more easier than England.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phd: Plasma physics , Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
:thank_you2: Im glad to see we have one on this forum who is from MIT. MIT is the highest ranked engineering institute/ university of the world for engineering studies. Did you get scholarship or paying for, how much did you score in GRE? :what:

I just checked and found MIT still on top in list but sadly ranking of my university, UTS, has fallen from around 80 in 2002 to 143 right now :cry:. But it is still not bad if we see even IIT Bombay at 49. But I can see that UTS is still among top 20 engineering institutes in world if we check 5 Star label also. :chilli:

But yes Indian institutes get ranking because of very high 'cut off' but Western because of high infrastructures :lol:

For those who don’t know about engineering institutes here, below is the QS Ranking of the institutes/ universities. QS ranking is the most recognized in the world, by any newspaper and governments :)

QS World University Rankings - Topuniversities

Hmmn...very good Jade. I myself was thinking of going for their Masters in Finance after my ACCA and 3 year mandatory work experience preferably interning as a buy-side analyst, before going for the CFA charter. How soon would you be done with your MBA, mate ?

I will be done by July 2012. Masters in Finance at LBS is a ten months program and most of the cohorts in the class are either from investment banks or trading companies such as Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Nomura, etc... A small percent of the class are also sponsored by the banks themselves.

Excellent ! Procedure for entrance ? GMAT score cutoff ?

:shout:

The same procedure as any top B School. You have to fill their online application, write 5 admission essays, and provide your GPAs and GMAT. Once short-listed, you will be called for an interview either to London or in India. If in India, you will be interviewed by an alumni and if in London, you will be interviewed by a member of admission committee.

There is no GMAT cut-off; however, the average GMAT is 710. For an Indian or a Chinese - as we fall under ultra competitive category - a GMAT score of 730 to 740 would be safe bet. Higher the GMAT, better are your prospects.

Back
Top Bottom