What's new

What is the India-Myanmar-Thailand Highway

If it were the same you already had connectivity to your eastern parts through the chicken neck...you would never wanted transit through BD....trade isn't just connecting roads on a map...it is a lot about saving time...otherwise Bangladesh would never need a road with either Thailand or China....they already trade via sea.

True, but it offers an alternative and reduced BD capacity to blackmail. Its called Risk Mitigation.

There is a massive highway upgrade program called the East West highway corridor.

Ssisters.jpg

290px-North-South_East-West_Corridors.svg.png

The biggest problem is that Indians are not free to visit the north eastern states without special permits.

Who said you are not free to visit the states? ILP is needed in Arunachal, Mizoram and Nagaland. Once you take it from their respective state departments, no one stops you from visiting or staying as long as you want.

Even in my state Sikkim, there are certain places like north Sikkim where permit is needed.

You see those photos that are so serene and become so happy admiring the beauty of the entire NE India?

That serenity is because there is restriction on the movements.

Imagine being surrounded by Bangladesh, Myanmar and China and then removing all restrictions.

We have very less population density and despite such limitations in the region, we have illegal foreign immigration from our neighbourhood.

The region has been neglected so long that now the current administration is under pressure to do everything.

Imagine if movement was not restricted.

Once you visit any of our states you will understand why permits are important.

For Assam,no special permit is required albeit if you are visiting some sensitive conservation zones, permission from necessary authority must be taken.
For Sikkim, unless you plan to visit Indo-China border, no special consent is required.
For Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram and Nagaland, you can enter a few Kms inland if you can manage the guards in the state police chowks in border to buy cheap booze :azn: or shop in nearby towns but going further into the state requires ILP.
But all these is worth it to drive in the Digboi-Margherita-Ledo-Vijaynagar stretch of the Stilwell Road which is a absolute beauty.

The permits are usually not that difficult though I have heard many of my north and south Indian friends complain about it.

Who said you are not free to visit the states? ILP is needed in Arunachal, Mizoram and Nagaland. Once you take it from their respective state departments, no one stops you from visiting or staying as long as you want.

Even in my state Sikkim, there are certain places like north Sikkim where permit is needed.

You see those photos that are so serene and become so happy admiring the beauty of the entire NE India?

Imagine being surrounded by Bangladesh, Myanmar and China and then removing all restrictions.

We have very less population density and despite such limitations in the region, we have illegal foreign immigration from our neighbourhood.

The region has been neglected so long that now the current administration is under pressure to do everything.

True, a grave yard has the most serenity.

Shiv Sena believes the same thing about Bihari emigration. Kashmiri muslims believe the same thing about others.

Why stop at permit ? start demanding passports to enter N.E.

Shiv Sena believes the same thing about Bihari emigration. Kashmiri muslims believe the same thing about others.

That is unfair, he did condemn ILP as forced isolationism and pandering to fringe groups.

You need to come here and see what is the situation.

Even I need a permit to visit Nagaland. The Naga permit is simply because of government weakness of not being able to take naga militant groups head on.

Whereas Aruanchal and Mizo are sensitive due to porous borders and cross border issues.

What Shiv Sena and Kashmiri muslims are asking is not the same thing as here.

You need to visit here and see first.

That is unfair, he did condemn ILP as forced isolationism and pandering to fringe groups.

He did and then he changed tone.

You need to come here and see what is the situation.

Even I need a permit to visit Nagaland. The Naga permit is simply because of government weakness of not being able to take naga militant groups head on.

Whereas Aruanchal and Mizo are sensitive due to porous borders and cross border issues.

What Shiv Sena and Kashmiri muslims are asking is not the same thing as here.

You need to visit here and see first.

Xenophobia is not a new thing for me to see it first hand.

I am not denying the damage on culture and even ecology, but the solution to that is not more segregation. The solution is more opening of society to accept new inputs and influences.

Its Ironic that Nagaland, Mizoram and Arunachal welcomed the cultural dilution due to Christianity but have a problems with Hindus and muslims.

Its Ironic that Nagaland, Mizoram and Arunachal welcomed the cultural dilution due to Christianity but have a problems with Hindus and muslims.

Nagaland's problem is that Baptist Church has transformed them into another philippines; only this time it is more aggressively 'anti-indian'. Also successive government encouraged missionaries of US to come and convert under Nehruvian "globalist culture" romanticist ideas. This was a continuation of the British policies which encouraged conversions during colonial era.

And the result is for all to see.

In fact, interestingly enough swami Vivekananda had warned of this development in pre-independence era and so did many members of the "right wing". But the "secular, liberal, awesome" governments ruling from "left-centre of political spectrum" didn't give a rat's rear.

Baptist Church is one of the most radical churches and most of the xenophobic tendencies in ultra-conservative pockets of US originate due to the presence of these churches.

Put such a religiosity in the minds of a population tiny, isolated and distinct of another country... and bang you get NSCN, NSCM and militant groups actively funded by western churches and even some neighbours.

I don't blame common Nagas at all.

Just the "secular liberal awesome" governments.

Last edited:
Nagaland's problem is that Baptist Church has transformed them into another philippines; only this time it is more aggressively 'anti-indian'. Also successive government encouraged missionaries of US to come and convert under Nehruvian "globalist culture" romanticist ideas. This was a continuation of the British policies which encouraged conversions during colonial era.

And the result is for all to see.

In fact, interestingly enough swami Vivekananda had warned of this development in pre-independence era and so did many members of the "right wing". But the "secular, liberal, awesome" governments ruling from "left-centre of political spectrum" didn't give a rat's rear.

Baptist Church is one of the most radical churches and most of the xenophobic tendencies in ultra-conservative pockets of US originate due to the presence of these churches.

Put such a religiosity in the minds of a population tiny, isolated and distinct of another country... and bang you get NSCN, NSCM and militant groups actively funded by western churches and even some neighbours.

I don't blame common Nagas at all.

Just the "secular liberal awesome" governments.

The fault lies on both sides. The nagas and the Mizo's are the one's seeking to 'protect' their culture after having sold out their culture to the missionaries en-mass.

Umm...BCIM is India-BD-India-Myanmar-China.(BD in the middle)
India's recent transit is also through BD.
And then there is this:
"Chalermpol Thanchitt, Special Envoy of the Thai Foreign Minister, said Bangladesh would be able to make use of this route by creating “an access point” between this proposed highway(IMT) and the Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar (BCIM) economic corridor."
"For Bangladesh, transit with northeast India will facilitate its connectivity with Myanmar. This has acquired more importance after China gave up plans to build a rail link between Chittagong and eastern China's city of Kunming through Myanmar following opposition from Myanmar. "

I would argue your analysis of the situation is wrong given the steps taken by India and the comments made by Thailand can mean only one thing...it was Myanmar who opposed the decision....not India or Thailand.

Remember when I said that if you don't play ball with us re: Rohingya Bengalis then we would block you from road connectivity with ASEAN and China? I recall the reaction was we would allow whatever India and China wanted. Seems not to be the case.

Remember when I said that if you don't play ball with us re: Rohingya Bengalis then we would block you from road connectivity with ASEAN and China? I recall the reaction was we would allow whatever India and China wanted. Seems not to be the case.
Bangladesh isn't going to take in millions of Burmese minorities for road connectivity...Burma has willingly become a party to BCIM giving connectivity to China...if you block that BD will take the Nepal route through BBIN to connect with China. Besides China isn't a party of the IMT(so they have no say in it)...so you haven't proven your point yet.
Besides your country is already helping them to return to their homes.
The issues between Bangladesh and Myanmar extend far into the past..Rohingyas are a very recent issue.

Bangladesh isn't going to take in millions of Burmese minorities for road connectivity...Burma has willingly become a party to BCIM giving connectivity to China...if you block that BD will take the Nepal route through BBIN to connect with China. Besides China isn't a party of the IMT(so they have no say in it)...so you haven't proven your point yet.
Besides your country is already helping them to return to their homes.
The issues between Bangladesh and Myanmar extend far into the past..Rohingyas are a very recent issue.

If India don't then there is no way China will. Kiss goodbye to your connectivity through Myanmar. Do you think will bother to connect you through India, Nepal and the Himalayas? This is what happens when you don't take responsibility for your own peoples. It's disgusting. You people are a generally disgusting peoples.

If India don't then there is no way China will. Kiss goodbye to your connectivity through Myanmar. Do you think will bother to connect you through India, Nepal and the Himalayas? This is what happens when you don't take responsibility for your own peoples. It's disgusting. You people are a generally disgusting peoples.
So you willingly become a party of a quadrilateral economic union and don't pull out and then try to bargain repatriation of your own minorities in other countries....or are you that illiterate that you can't even read the deals that you sign?..are you crack-buddies with your foreign policy advisers?? Because you seem to be smoking a lot of it. Nepal and China already have highway connectivity which facilitates a huge portion of Nepal's trade and Nepal just signed a deal with China to use Chinese sea ports..unlike you they don't live in the middle ages that they would not be able to construct roads through mountainous areas...you can live with your ultra-sophisticated Burmans who seem to suffer from amnesia...I will live with my "disgusting peoples" and not massacre my minorities or drive them to Burma.
Au Revoir and happy crack smoking.

The permits are usually not that difficult though I have heard many of my north and south Indian friends complain about it.

I agree, North eastern states are needed to be protected from the barbarian hoards of North India. Just look at what we did to the city of Dehradun

So you willingly become a party of a quadrilateral economic union and don't pull out and then try to bargain repatriation of your own minorities in other countries....or are you that illiterate that you can't even read the deals that you sign?..are you crack-buddies with your foreign policy advisers?? Because you seem to be smoking a lot of it. Nepal and China already have highway connectivity which facilitates a huge portion of Nepal's trade and Nepal just signed a deal with China to use Chinese sea ports..unlike you they don't live in the middle ages that they would not be able to construct roads through mountainous areas...you can live with your ultra-sophisticated Burmans who seem to suffer from amnesia...I will live with my "disgusting peoples" and not massacre my minorities or drive them to Burma.
Au Revoir and happy crack smoking.

That's it. Let it all out little Bangladeshi. Perhaps in time your peoples will learn how international diplomacy works.

That's it. Let it all out little Bangladeshi. Perhaps in time your peoples will learn how international diplomacy works.
Yes...my "peoples" will need to learn international diplomacy from your "peoples" who can't read MOUs of unions they join.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom