----------------------------------------------------------------

The road should be divided in 2 parts in Laos:-
1)To Hanoi & North Vietnam
2)To Bangkok
& the Road to Bangkok should be divided in 2 parts:-
1)One will extend to Cambodia & South Vietnam
2)The other can extend to Malaysia & SIngapore

What do you think? @Skull and Bones @VivasvatManu

The biggest problem is that Indians are not free to visit the north eastern states without special permits.

The biggest problem is that Indians are not free to visit the north eastern states without special permits.
I thought we only needed permits to visit the states with ILP(Mizoram,Nagaland etc)

I didn't know Assam had one & there is an agitation in Manipur for getting an ILP for the region.Thus we can say is doesn't have one yet

By the way,how tedious is the process of getting the permit to access an ILP?
& I just updated my post.

I thought we only needed permits to visit the states with ILP(Mizoram,Nagaland etc)

I didn't know Assam had one & there is an agitation in Manipur for getting an ILP for the region.Thus we can say is doesn't have one yet

I honestly don't know. Its the only part of India I have not yet visited. I had planned a trip to sikkim last year and a trip to N.E the year before that but that got cancelled.

I honestly don't know. Its the only part of India I have not yet visited. I had planned a trip to sikkim last year and a trip to N.E the year before that but that got cancelled.
@Tshering22 @The Huskar @zootinali

Do check this post+ the last few posts on this page.Am I right on the info. I have collected? & is there any chance of ILP for all states in the North East??
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did some research. Seems like Assam,Manipur, Tripura & Meghalaya have no permits of any sort for Indians.

Though there are some requirements for foreigners. Thought I read somewherer that the GOI is willing to streamline & make the process of getting a permit easier for the countries on this highway.

Some parts of Sikkim have a permit & you need a permit for the entire state of Mizoram,Arunachal Pradesh & Nagaland(if you are an Indian).

& his highway goes through Assam,Manipur & Nagaland

http://goindia.about.com/od/northeast/qt/north-east-india-permits.htm

https://www.quora.com/Which-Indian-states-do-we-need-some-kind-of-permit-to-travel-to-and-why

ILP is necessary in Arunachal. Not in Assam, meghalaya, Tripura, manipur. I am not sure about Mizoram, Nagaland. If you spend 100 rupees you can get it instantly otherwise it can be obtained in a day. Beautiful place. Much cleaner, less congested, more liberal culture than the rest of India. Green hills, waterfalls and beautiful hilly rivers are abundant. Alpine scenery can be enjoyed at a few places in Arunachal.

ILP is necessary in Arunachal. Not in Assam, meghalaya, Tripura, manipur. I am not sure about Mizoram, Nagaland. If you spend 100 rupees you can get it instantly otherwise it can be obtained in a day. Beautiful place. Much cleaner, less congested, more liberal culture than the rest of India. Green hills, waterfalls and beautiful hilly rivers are abundant. Alpine scenery can be enjoyed at a few places in Arunachal.

Where do you get the permit ?

Modi and his promises. All his promises can be compiled and published as a book.

First Modi and co. should focus on connectivity within the north east. He should travel by the horrible and dangerous road to Silchar, Tripura and Mizoram by road to feel the plight of the people of the region. Still Assam railway is not electrified. The railway lines beyond Guwahati are still single line. Arunachal frontier highway is still on paper.

modi is too much hype and too much talk

Do check this post+ the last few posts on this page.Am I right on the info. I have collected? & is there any chance of ILP for all states in the North East??
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did some research. Seems like Assam,Manipur, Tripura & Meghalaya have no permits of any sort for Indians.

Though there are some requirements for foreigners. Thought I read somewherer that the GOI is willing to streamline & make the process of getting a permit easier for the countries on this highway.

Some parts of Sikkim have a permit & you need a permit for the entire state of Mizoram,Arunachal Pradesh & Nagaland(if you are an Indian).

https://www.quora.com/Which-Indian-states-do-we-need-some-kind-of-permit-to-travel-to-and-why
For Assam,no special permit is required albeit if you are visiting some sensitive conservation zones, permission from necessary authority must be taken.
For Sikkim, unless you plan to visit Indo-China border, no special consent is required.
For Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram and Nagaland, you can enter a few Kms inland if you can manage the guards in the state police chowks in border to buy cheap booze :azn: or shop in nearby towns but going further into the state requires ILP.
But all these is worth it to drive in the Digboi-Margherita-Ledo-Vijaynagar stretch of the Stilwell Road which is a absolute beauty.

For north Sikkim, permit is needed as it is a sensitive zone.

For visiting Nathu La also, a separate permit is needed. Private vehicles are not allowed even for locals because of the sensitivity of the regions. The rest of my state is open to visit without any permit needed.

The nature of permits in Sikkim has less to do with "tribal culture protection" (what I call deliberate isolationism and pandering to fringe groups) and more to do with ecological conservation and environment management.

However, you will need ILP for three other states:

http://mdoner.gov.in/content/inner-line-permit

It is pretty easy if you have a clear track record and produce your documents as the authorities ask.

The problem with our country's media is, my entire region gets a very limited limelight and almost all the time, it is about some or the other fringe loony groups.

We are not the way the stupid media shows us.

It would have been better if we could just extend the Uttarapath also know as the Grand Trunk road.

Objective seems to avoid Bangladesh due to its unstable political outlook.

OTOH the Road needs to be extend to Hanoi.
If that is the objective why is your government so eager to implement BBIN and BCIM??
I am sorry I thought Modi was the PM of India not Myanmar...why did he sacrifice India's interest by connecting to BD itself while saving Myanmar's ***?

If that is the objective why is your government so eager to implement BBIN and BCIM??
I am sorry I thought Modi was the PM of India not Myanmar...why did he sacrifice India's interest by connecting to BD itself while saving Myanmar's ***?

The most obvious conclusion is that India did not want this Road to be held hostage to BD's tantrum.

BBIN and BCIM does not have that problem since BD is at the end of the line, not bang in middle.

The most obvious conclusion is that India did not want this Road to be held hostage to BD's tantrum.

BBIN and BCIM does not have that problem since BD is at the end of the line, not bang in middle.
Umm...BCIM is India-BD-India-Myanmar-China.(BD in the middle)
India's recent transit is also through BD.
And then there is this:
"Chalermpol Thanchitt, Special Envoy of the Thai Foreign Minister, said Bangladesh would be able to make use of this route by creating “an access point” between this proposed highway(IMT) and the Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar (BCIM) economic corridor."
"For Bangladesh, transit with northeast India will facilitate its connectivity with Myanmar. This has acquired more importance after China gave up plans to build a rail link between Chittagong and eastern China's city of Kunming through Myanmar following opposition from Myanmar. "

I would argue your analysis of the situation is wrong given the steps taken by India and the comments made by Thailand can mean only one thing...it was Myanmar who opposed the decision....not India or Thailand.

Umm...BCIM is India-BD-India-Myanmar-China.(BD in the middle)
India's recent transit is also through BD.
And then there is this:
"Chalermpol Thanchitt, Special Envoy of the Thai Foreign Minister, said Bangladesh would be able to make use of this route by creating “an access point” between this proposed highway(IMT) and the Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar (BCIM) economic corridor."
"For Bangladesh, transit with northeast India will facilitate its connectivity with Myanmar. This has acquired more importance after China gave up plans to build a rail link between Chittagong and eastern China's city of Kunming through Myanmar following opposition from Myanmar. "

I would argue your analysis of the situation is wrong given the steps taken by India and the comments made by Thailand can mean only one thing...it was Myanmar who opposed the decision....not India or Thailand.

India-BD-India-Myanmar-China , is the same as,
India-India -India-Myanmar-China. BD's role in any possible blackmail is minimal. (in theory)

But It is more than likely the objection to BD came from Myanmar.

India-BD-India-Myanmar-China , is the same as,
India-India -India-Myanmar-China. BD's role in any possible blackmail is minimal. (in theory)

But It is more than likely the objection to BD came from Myanmar.
If it were the same you already had connectivity to your eastern parts through the chicken neck...you would never wanted transit through BD....trade isn't just connecting roads on a map...it is a lot about saving time...otherwise Bangladesh would never need a road with either Thailand or China....they already trade via sea.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom