What can Pakistan learn from Bangladesh?

to Never do What Bangladesh did, sit in Indian lap.

What can Pakistan learn from Bangladesh?

92997-banglajpg-1579087502-767-640x480.jpg

Henry Kissinger, the secretary of state during the Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford administrations, ominously dubbed Bangladesh a basket case, and the moniker stuck, causing disappointment and dismay among Bangladeshis. In the 1970s, the derogatory appellation painted a dire picture of a country struggling with negative growth rates, dismal export potentials, empty coffers, and, to top it all off, the burden of meeting the needs of a population traumatised by a brutal independence movement. The future of Bangladesh, at the time, looked very bleak indeed.

Five decades later, Bangladesh has come out roaring. It has become one of the leading Asian economies and has, for over a decade, grown at a good clip. In fact, since 2011, Bangladesh’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate has been consistently over 6 %. In its latest report, the Asian Development Bank paints a promising picture of Bangladesh and puts it on a sure footing for achieving a growth rate of 8% in 2020, the highest in the region.

Due to the constant economic upheaval, the Bangladeshi economy will cast off the status of a least developed economy in less than five years and will join the list of developing economies. Bangladesh’s story of economic success is strewn with lessons on how to exploit resource endowments, not only to achieve economic growth, but also inculcate human development. That is why Bangladesh is higher on the human development index (HDI) than Pakistan.

It is somewhat ironic that it was Mahbubul Haq, a Pakistani economist, that developed the HDI along with Amartya Sen to assess the quality of life and standard of living of people within a country. Sen, a Nobel Laureate, called Haq an “outstanding economist and a visionary social thinker.” Haq believed that the policy outcomes that mattered the most were what a government did for its people so that they could lead a healthy and prosperous life. Taking a people-centric approach to judge the success of governmental policies, the HDI draws attention to three dimensions of people’s lives: education, health, and income.

During the last two decades, Bangladesh has made great strides with regards to improving the lives of its people. To get a sense of where it stands today, we will compare Bangladesh with Pakistan on some of the key indicators of HDI, knowing full well that such a comparison can generate controversy due to the long standing friction between the two countries.

When we look at the ranking of the two countries on the human development scale, Bangladesh is ahead on the 135th position as opposed to Pakistan’s 152nd. The average life expectancy in Bangladesh is also higher at 72.3 years in comparison to Pakistan’s 67.1 years whereas the mortality rate is also significantly lower in Bangladesh at 26.9 versus 61.2 in Pakistan. A child born in Bangladesh can expect to be in school longer than a child born in Pakistan at an average of 11.2 years versus 8.5 years while the mean years of schooling for females in Bangladesh is 5.3 years compared to 3.8 years in Pakistan. What is perhaps most surprising is that, according to the World Bank, Bangladesh now has a higher per capita Gross National Income than Pakistan, $1,750 versus $1,590 to be precise. Overall, Bangladeshis now enjoy a higher standard of living than their Pakistani counterparts.

Among the different developmental policies that Bangladesh implemented to improve the standard of living for its people, the two that stand out are the economic empowerment of women and the focus on infrastructural development. Comparatively, while both Pakistan and Bangladesh essentially exported their unemployment problems by sending people to work in the restrictive environment of the Middle East, Bangladesh also looked for ways to create employment opportunities internally for its labour force. It slowly and steadily expanded the textile sector to create employment opportunities, especially for women, who now form the backbone of the industry.

As a result, female labour now accounts for more than 90%of the workforce in the textile sector which currently employs over four million people. These jobs have not only improved the lives of families, but have also given women discretionary purchasing power and access to financial instruments.

Bangladesh has become a textile powerhouse, exporting apparel products and producing for retailers such as Zara, Gap, Uniqlo, Hugo Boss, H&M and other multinationals. A once fledgling industry has now been transformed into a $30 billion business which has established Bangladesh as the second largest exporter of garments and apparel products in the world after China. The experience and the network of relationships that its executives have developed along with the business prowess they have gained will be instrumental in moving Bangladesh towards the next phase of development which is the production and marketing of high value-added products.

Unfortunately, in the case of Pakistan, the data on human development looks bleak. Its story is one of lost opportunities. Once a beacon of development and modernity in South Asia, Pakistan’s economy has stagnated due to rampant corruption and mismanagement. Successive governments have failed to construct a growth-conducive economic model whereas a feudal mentality has curtailed the entrepreneurial spirit that propelled growth during the early years of Pakistan’s existence in the financial, educational, healthcare, aviation, and transportation sectors. Therefore, sooner rather than later, Pakistan will need to create conducive conditions in order achieve what Mahbub ul Haq valued – a good life for the general populace.

The author is Professor Emeritus of Marketing at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, and a Fulbright scholar. He has published extensively in business and marketing journals and has taught graduate and undergraduate level courses in North America, Europe, South America, and Asia.

https://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/92997/bangladesh-not-a-basket-case-anymore/

You’re mistaken if you think no trade or military partnership exist. The obsession stems from us being zero and discriminated against and now us doing better in certain areas than you guys.

Though i knew the answer to my question, i still threw it here to see if i can get a sensible response but you gave me the same rhetoric.
Every state has ups and downs in its trajectory.If Bangladesh's economy is doing good at the moment, it doesnt mean you will not see a rainy day in future, it doesnt mean you start sticking it up on your former nation's face and start celebrating projections of 2050.When Bangladesh was passing a difficult time, did Pakistanis cat call Bangladeshis? Pakistan has got over the secessionist time however Bangladeshsi are still stuck in 1971. Bangladeshi politicians use school curriculum and media to needlessly drag the burden of past along and shape a public perception to divide people into camps.Pakistan got independence from British yet Pakistan doesnt teach hate towards its former coloniser.
As for discrimination, are you telling me there is no discrimination that exists in Bangladesh, esp the Biharis?Discrimination is a human behavior rampant in every society, it must have existed back then as well however the way its extrapolated to brainwash people in the name of Bangladeshi nationalism, its evident Bangladesh's govt. isnt really doing justice with you folks.
The trade East Pakistan wanted to do with West Pakistan wasnt tangibly possible.The prices would be something else by the time they would reach the port of Karachi.So traders of East Paksitan relied on trade with West Bengal and thats how they remained cut-off from the western-wing's economy.Not to mention language was a barrier and thats where West-Bengalis not just developed their influence within your people during 50s and 60s but also helped you with the the secessionist movement by bombarding with you sh!t loads of propaganda..
Pakistan and Bangladesh are competitors in trade esp. textile.There isnt really much mutual trade going on if you see through it..Besides there isnt any possibility of a major defence deal between two..

Though i knew the answer to my question, i still threw it here to see if i can get a sensible response but you gave me the same rhetoric.
Every state has ups and downs in its trajectory.If Bangladesh's economy is doing good at the moment, it doesnt mean you will not see a rainy day in future, it doesnt mean you start sticking it up on your former nation's face and start celebrating projections of 2050.When Bangladesh was passing a difficult time, did Pakistanis cat call Bangladeshis? Pakistan has got over the secessionist time however Bangladeshsi are still stuck in 1971. Bangladeshi politicians use school curriculum and media to needlessly drag the burden of past along and shape a public perception to divide people into camps.Pakistan got independence from British yet Pakistan doesnt teach hate towards its former coloniser.
As for discrimination, are you telling me there is no discrimination that exists in Bangladesh, esp the Biharis?Discrimination is a human behavior rampant in every society, it must have existed back then as well however the way its extrapolated to brainwash people in the name of Bangladeshi nationalism, its evident Bangladesh's govt. isnt really doing justice with you folks.
The trade East Pakistan wanted to do with West Pakistan wasnt tangibly possible.The prices would be something else by the time they would reach the port of Karachi.So traders of East Paksitan relied on trade with West Bengal and thats how they remained cut-off from the western-wing's economy.Not to mention language was a barrier and thats where West-Bengalis not just developed their influence within your people during 50s and 60s but also helped you with the the secessionist movement by bombarding with you sh!t loads of propaganda..
Pakistan and Bangladesh are competitors in trade esp. textile.There isnt really much mutual trade going on if you see through it..Besides there isnt any possibility of a major defence deal between two..

This is the best, most mature response to these Bengali trolls.
Pakistan has never trolled them on their slum conditions in the past.
Even now, the only thing that Bangladesh is beating Pakistan on is growth rate.
Their cities are slums
they have more poverty
they certainly have more hookers
And their military is a joke.
But no, Bengali trolls here are jumping up and down about growth rate, like a child who won a toffee and bragging to his friends.

Our Bengali friends need to grow up and realize that Pakistani people and government never troll you guys on your lows but also, we just don't care about you people.
You are too different and far away for us to think about.

yes they are in parks, beeches, railway tracks

The open defecation problem is mostly bad habit which has little to do with prosperity.

Sorry for the off topic segway.

We, Paks, wish all the very best to the good people of BD!

May you live long and prosper!

However, such petty articles/silly ...and yes, malicious statements by the BD politicoz don't help in the reconciliation process...

In election time ... politicoz go overboard...all nice and dandy...but after that everybody should focus on delivery...

Nobody should underestimate either Pakistan or PakSpirit...

We faced 10 years of utter EconomicTerrorism from two regimes... combined with War of Terror imposed on Pakistan... we lost 80+k PakLives and $220+Bln (The Economist) to PakEconomy...

We have to stop moneylaundering and severely curb imports... and continue with deep structural reforms...however painful they might be.

The current GoP has taken some very unpopular steps and fruits are coming forward...but Pak shall continue with reforms and restructure PakEconomy to be more competitive.

Deindustrialisation of the past decade is being reversed... SEZs are coming online...

Documentation of BlackEconomy is another challenge... and for now we are taking a gradual approach...but we will continue down this road nontheless!

Both as PakState and in PoliticalDiscourse we have conciously benchmarked ourselves with China... and compared to the Chinese we are at least 30 years behind...

As we have unofficially adopted the ChineseModel of Development... we shall see results coming in accordingly...

Just a helpful reminder to our BD friends... with only doubling our agro output we can add 60% to our GDP...and this is not some nanotech... work on this has already begun... we are moving towards Agro-industrial framework... this is one of our key areas of focus to eradicate poverty in Pakistan.

Furthermore, it is imperative to understand that invocing culture of Pakistan where both imports and exports are shown differently to stash the money abroad @ps3linux @Sine Nomine we export more in IT ValueAdded than these are shown... since the money gets parked outside...

Moving away from import driven GDP growth... is a painful transition...but luckily we are out of the woods...

Pakistan is in the process of establishing Textile Export City... to encourage the Chinese and other investors... with our past record and a supportive GoP this will have massive impact on Dollar/Yuan earning...

With doubling our per hectare yield we can double the meat and milk production... and there is $3Trillion+ Halal meat market...

Then there is slow progess on petrochemicals as well... With Gawadar OilCity coming online within a decade... the impact on our import bill will be positively severe...

The point I intend to make here... is that we are happy for BD.. all the very best of luck... but kindly, don't become Ganguz...
I fear soon we will be hearing that BD is going to a superpower by 2030... that would be sad development.

Pakistan has to work like there is no tomorrow for next 30 years ... NOT to impress anyone...but just to provide jobs to 60+% of Paks... Pakistan is a very Young!!!

Just an example of what Paks are all about... have a look at JF Thunder... how we went about it...and where it is now... and this is ONLY Growing... AZM is already Conceptualised... and far more is being done...

Pakistan is Pakistan. We are Better than nobody. And NOBODY is better than us!

And NO.. Pakistan is not becoming a superpower any time soon... if at all... and Frankly, if someone says so...must be bannished from public life...

For next 30 years... Pakistan is working harder than ever before...and there is sign on the door: Dont Disturb!

Pakistan has not even the Right to Call itself anything even when there is One Pak living under the poverty line...

That is the reason we are talking Peace, Peace and Peace....

One does wish that BD stops uttering nonconstructive statements... and realise that it is surrounded by a FacistHindutvaCountry!!!

You might end up needing Pakistan's Help down the line...

Arrogance must have solid underpinning to have an effect!!!

Regarless, all the very best to the good people of BD!!!

Mangus

@PakSword @SIPRA @StormBreaker @Reddington @doorstar @jaibi @The Eagle @Dubious @masterchief_mirza @Flight of falcon @DESERT FIGHTER @Rafi @Rafeh

Bhai there is a saying in my version of Punjabi if a cheapster gets a silver bowl he'll burst his stomach by drinking out of it (just to show off), people of that region have started to see signs of improvement in their economy and look at the cheap bravado, perhaps got it from their daddy dear both east and west. They are developing and improving their exports I am happy with it, period!

We have got nothing in common with them with the exception of religion, we don't need to learn anything from them, we dont need to copy anything from them, let them brag, no skin off our backs.

The point is that BD has done a lot better economically than either Pakistan or India when you take into account how much time it has had since independence.
While both India and Pakistan struggle BD economy goes from strength to strength.

I sense serious butthurt in this post.:(

Can you tell me what you need to offer to have any chance of any country wanting to be your client state?
No nothing to offer and I never meant BD to be a client state of Pakistan. The point was that the economic progress is there if one accepts Indian hegemony like BD has. Believe me even Kashmiri will see billions of dollars poured in their economy once they give up their struggle; but they choose misery at hands of IA over “prosperity” that Bengalis enjoy these days. Anyway happy to see you guys at least fairing better economically - but the only lesson that BD can provide to Pakistan is the perceived economic benefits of giving into Indian hegemony.

One question though , why do BD cities look so bad? Where does all this 8 % growth goes to?I dont see any improvement in their cities. Our Cities are much better be it Lahore , Islamabad , Karachi. They donot have one decent City/Highway/Airport . Our Metro Train is going to be launched on 23rd March in Lahoee and they still planning Dhaka Metro since 20 years.

Our PPP per capita is still higher which is used to see the correct income levels.

BD cities look bad in your eyes (I'd use the word 'different' from Pakistan instead, like say HongKong) because few newer suburban areas have been created like Bahria towns in every urban Pakistani area like Karachi and Lahore and because expenditure on road/parks/highway-linking infrastructure as well as creating new suburban subdivisions has so far been quite low. Govt. incompetence has been a factor which is lessening slowly...

Urban outlook is changing however with various mega projects. Please visit the infrastructure thread which I regularly update. Cities can look compact and dense, but still be clean, like Japanese urban areas.

I am only posting to explain this here, since you asked, not because I'm trying to boast.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/bang...evelopment-updates-discussions.418207/page-71

Just as examples,

1. The Metro Rail dept. in Dhaka started laying rail on MRT Line-6 which is about 3/4th the length of Lahore's metro. Trains will start running from July 2020 on trial basis. However - they have also started work on two more lines which will mostly be underground and to be completed in another say four/five years. Altogether - Dhaka will have 175 KM total line length among six or so lines/interchanges (total length 50% underground among all lines) and these lines will be completed by 2030 which will benefit the massive traffic jams common nowadays.

The rolling stock will be supplied from Kawasaki, Japan.

https://global.kawasaki.com/en/corp/newsroom/news/detail/?f=20170714_5864

One of the more important stations on line 6. Farmgate.

STATION-900x450.jpg

iu
route-map_DCC.jpg
news_ph051.jpg

2. Dhaka Bus Rapid Transit (pardon this guy's atrocious accent)

3. Many cities will have electricity cable connectors sunk underground, this has already started for 33/11/0.4 KV lines in Sylhet, to be followed by other cities. This will make most cities look far better.

Since the new year a few very large urban projects have come online, as posted in that thread.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/bang...ates-discussions.418207/page-71#post-12017130

The latest project to come online just five days ago is the $2 Billion Payra Electric Power project which took only three years to build. It will eventually add 1320 megawatts to the national grid. Bangladesh is essentially power self-sufficient (generating 12,800 megawatts), but newer plants being built to support future industrial expansion. I hope these will answer your question of where the fruits of the 8% growth goes to, which is to plan for and support further growth.

https://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/news/payra-coal-power-plant-takes-1853791

payra_coal_0.jpg

No nothing to offer and I never meant BD to be a client state of Pakistan. The point was the economic progress is there if one accepts Indian hegemony like BD has. Believe me even Kashmiri will see billions of dollars poured in their economy once they give up their struggle; but they choose misery at hands of IA over “prosperity” that Bengalis enjoy these days. Anyway happy to see you guys at least fairing better economically - but the only lesson that BD can provide to Pakistan is the perceived economic benefits of giving into Indian hegemony.
BD hasnt accepted any Indian hegemony fyi nor are they a client state of India. Just because they chose economic development over being a security state doesn't mean they are weak.
Bangladesh independence was 2 way victory , they got independence and we got a peaceful border. Post that both went seperate ways

BD hasnt accepted any Indian hegemony fyi nor are they a client state of India. Just because they chose economic development over being a security state doesn't mean they are weak.
Bangladesh independence was 2 way victory , they got independence and we got a peaceful border. Post that both went seperate ways
Ok fine; Bangladesh is a strong nation and independent of Indian influence and hegemony. Pakistanis are just fools who have not been able to make India a friend like Bangladesh has and became a “security state”, where as Bangladeshis enjoy a functional and constitutional democracy with high regard for human/political rights.

As far as lessons from Bangladesh - believe me Bangladesh is definitely a lesson for Pakistan; we may just disagree on the types of “lesson” though.

What else can you expect from desi people. This is desi people behavior 101. I don’t use regular everyday people having hate towards Pakistan, it’s only awami league that needs to cash that cow to get votes. As for education, I’ve not had my education done in bd to say anything about that but I’m pretty sure education about formal colonizers are about the same in all three countries in the sub continent. As for competition in textile, 15 years ago when Pakistan was the worlds second largest... sure. Now it’s the other way around, maybe Pakistan has to be competitive to gain market share but our main rival is Vietnam now that’s doing much better than us in growing their garments industry. However we are looking forward to diversification so it’s normal that the growth has slowed down a bit.
Anyways regular Bengali people couldn’t care less or more about Pakistan... if you see what Imran khan has to say, Bangladeshis will always select Pakistan over India no matter what. The same is still the case today.