What's new

What Actually Happened? Peshawar University Attack

The Diplomat

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
What actually happened, was the security forces response good enough?

Four men entered Peshawar University wearing Burkas on 01 December 2017, the men entered the premises using an auto-rickshaw, disguised as students. The four men group were part of the banned outfit; TTP, which later took credit for the horrific and inhumane attack which resulted in the loss of 6 students and 3 other people.

TTP claimed that they did not attack the university but a safe house belonging to Pakistan's intelligence agency; Inter Services Intelligence (ISI). The army operation started soon after the first shots were fired and the operation lasted 2 hours; the first phase was to clear the area of all students, teachers and other members of staff, and then to start a search operation and eliminate the attackers. On a normal school day the university hosts around 400 students however due to religious holidays there were a reduced number of 150 students.

When talking about attacks on schools two names come into my mind; APS and Bacha Khan University. This attack was somewhat different interms of Military (QRF, FC, First Responders), Police and other security forces quick response time and the professionalism shown by all security forces. There could easily have been a huge loss of life if it wasn't for the security forces acting in a respectable time.

DG ISPR General Asif Ghafoor was quick to point out that the attackers were from Afghanistan and said that Pakistan Army and Pakistan Government were in contact with Afghanistan's DGMO and that Pakistan had handed over evidence proving that the attackers were in contact with their counterparts and bosses across the border.

This is for those that criticize the army for her role in ensuring the security and safety of Pakistan, for the people that criticize the military leadership for setting up DHA, Shaheen Air, Fauji Fertilizer and Askaari Aviation to earn money for national defence and shuhada trust. This video is for those that are arrogantly increasing their receivables in exchange for the people of the land.

Pakistan Zindabad! Pak Fauj Paindabad! :pakistan:

@Sher Shah Awan @war&peace @Khafee @Well.wisher @Divergent @Moonlight @waz @Kaptaan @Awan68 @Hell hound @Amigator @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @Clutch @Enigma_ @Hareeb @Mrc @Max @Devil Soul @terry5 @Spring Onion @lastofthepatriots @RoadRunner401 @Starlord @El Sidd @LeGenD

This report is not as detailed as I wanted it to be because I am busier than usual.

Other analysis by me on recent attacks:
What Actually Happened? - Police Academy Attack
Lahore Blast - What we know so far?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what's security like for colleges in Pakistan? Private security, ID cards, that kinda stuff?

I have been told that KPK police commandos were the first to reach the site, even before Army's QRF

Just out of curiosity, what's security like for colleges in Pakistan? Private security, ID cards, that kinda stuff?

Almost non existent, with just a couple of guards usually or in smaller schools maybe just 1 man with a stick

I'm sure ID cards are standard and a guard with a gun however it's not enough. More needs to be done for security.
I have been told that KPK police commandos were the first to reach the site, even before Army's QRF
KP Police has set an example for the rest of the country to follow. Their training, equipment and operational readiness is probably the best in the country out of any police force. I would expect the police to be first responders as army is not local and QRF only gets deployed after they get informed. I'm guessing 1122 would be the first to be informed.

Just wish we'd take preventive measures as well - i.e. create a buffer between our border on the Afg side.

Are the terrorists Afghanis or Pakistanies
As per DG ISPR report, they came from Afghanistan.

Just wish we'd take preventive measures as well - i.e. create a buffer between our border on the Afg side.
Pakistan has a porus border, it’s very hard to make it 100% resistant however measures can be taken; fencing for one, arieal scanning, digging treanches and many more.
It’s about time our borders are fortified to the best of their ability.

As per DG ISPR report, they came from Afghanistan.

Pakistan has a porus border, it’s very hard to make it 100% resistant however measures can be taken; fencing for one, arieal scanning, digging treanches and many more.
It’s about time our borders are fortified to the best of their ability.
Yeah we know that TTP has claimed it,but I think the terrorists are pakistanies.fence won't help but finding how the terrorist groups operate and recrute young people

Yeah we know that TTP has claimed it,but I think the terrorists are pakistanies.fence won't help but finding how the terrorist groups operate and recrute young people
They were Afghan nationals and not Pakistani is what DG ISPR said after identifying the attackers. Not only are they Afghan passport holders but were also trained in Afghanistan.

They were Afghan nationals and not Pakistani is what DG ISPR said after identifying the attackers. Not only are they Afghan passport holders but were also trained in Afghanistan.
attack just took place yesterday and in 24 hours every thing about them was found out ?

They are afghan nationals, trained in afghanistan..etc how did the agencies find this out immediately? I wont be surprised if some one produces their birth certificate in another hour or so.

we need wall not a fence at the afghan border

Wall blinds your own soldiers and GSR to whats going on other side

have been told that KPK police commandos were the first to reach the site, even before Army's QRF

First to arrive was local police than police qrf... they did a commendable job of engaging shooters till army arrived... other wise could have been a big loss

Back
Top Bottom