What's new

'Watching Geo is Haraam,' Sunni Ittehad Council issues fatwa

Hamid Raza said Geo's apology is meaningless, will hold sit-in until channel is shut down.

ISLAMABAD (Dunya News) – Sunni Ittehad Council (SIC) scholars issued a fatwa (decree) against Geo TV on Thursday terming watching it forbidden. SIC Chief Hamid Raza said that Geo’s apology is meaningless and that his organization will take to streets and hold sit-in for indefinite period if ‘justice’ is not served, Dunya News reported.

Addressing press conference along with Faisal Raza Abdi on Thursday, he said that the way the names of Ahl-e-Bait (family of Prophet Muhammad PBUH) were taken during the broadcast on Geo Entertainment’s morning show is forbidden.

He warned that if the current government doesn’t act on such ‘nonsense’, it would be binding upon Muslims to do it by themselves.

He demanded cases registered against producer and host of the show.

Former senator Faisal Raza Abdi said that the protest starting from Sunday will continue until is shut down.
Hamid Raza also announced to take the matter to Supreme Court.

The episode in question aired a do over of the wedding rituals of prominent actress Veena Malik and her husband Asad Khattak. During one such ritual, a Qawali was being performed live in the background and together with the visuals, it allegedly appeared objectionable and potentially insulting.

Sunni Ittehad Council (SIC) Chief Hamid Raza announced to hold sit-in protests against the broadcast until indefinite period. It merits mentioning here that the host of the morning show in question apologized on TV while terming it an unintentional mistake. The apology is rejected by Hamid Raza saying it doesn’t mean anything if broadcast is not suspended.

He also said that if YouTube can be blocked over blasphemous material, why not Geo?

http://dunyanews.tv/index.php/en/Pakistan/222144-Watching-Geo-is-Haraam-Sunni-Ittehad-Council-is

Geo last days are numbered now.....

Sunni Ittehad Council is one of the organizations representing the Sufi Sunnis of Pakistan

*sigh* why are they a religious council if they are issuing fatwah related to politics? Shouldnt they change their name to Political council?

Do the citizens really need a Mullah to tell them to boycott a stupid channel? Unki ungli par kiyun nachtay hain?

Chal apna sub kuch pack ker...we will send you to the border!! :agree:

No need to sell your property its now under the state ;)

Sis, you are right. But they are in politics though. Fatawas are given by qualified individuals within the organization [ trained muftis ] on any walk of life issue related to jurisprudence. But, the important thing is that if the Sunni Council had fatawas on the waiting list for Geo, why release them now on Geo, unless it was for political gain.

Sis, you are right. But they are in politics though. Fatawas are given by qualified individuals within the organization [ trained muftis ] on any walk of life issue related to jurisprudence. But, the important thing is that if the Sunni Council had fatawas on the waiting list for Geo, why release them now on Geo, unless it was for political gain.
I never liked that council....they should issue a fatwah on

any PM who doesnt get rid of poverty goes to hell...

Any PM who in his term doesnt make education mandatory goes to hell...

Now that kinda fatwah we need!! :agree:

The fatwa making council, plenty of those around. Don't say anything related to faith, religion. Instead issue one political fatwa after the other.

Shame on you.

Boycott it, on who's authority do you speak against it on religious terms?

About the authority. Fatawas are issued by trained individuals [ called Muftis ].

It is another matter that the Sunni Ittehad Council [ a political organization ] is using fatawas for political gains in this whole fervor against Geo.

On the other hand, they do talk about faith, religion, and other issues. It is a council of loosely held Sunni Sufi organizations in Pakistan. Not all of them are in consensus with each other.

Doesn't matter what your political views are. Religious authorities should stick to religion, the reason why we are in this mess of extremism in our ranks is partly because of some stupid clergy members politicising our religion.

And note, I am against Geo's conduct 110%.

politics is part of Islamic Jurisprudence.

Any Mufti trained must analyze political activities and issue edicts against individuals for the benefit of society as a whole.

This is the meaning of Islamic jurisprudence and the reason for existence of Muftis [ a whole established department within any group following Islam ]

It is a different matter if the person is qualified or not, or of a genuine character or not, or the fatwas are politically motivated or not, or even the fatwa being totally wrong in the first place

Seeing everything through religious prism is counterproductive... I have numerous differences with Geo but still I see this fatwa absolutely gratuitous.. Solely it's the responsibility of the government to look into the issue, this council and it's verdict is absolutely irrelevant - would give zealots a reason to go barbaric.

That is very presumptuous, but still likely considering how incompetent mullahs stir up trouble in the country playing around with the emotions of the people, so i agree. fatwas concern religious issues. The population of Pakistan is overwhelmingly religious and sufi. That is the reason why this council took the opportunity to make a political gain.

Last edited:
all i see is contradiction .. lol .. on a serious note you have given example in a bad taste still i will quote ""according to you if **** is viewed more than islam than how is islam famous .. 10 bara hai ya 100 !!?
what i was trying to say .. two way of getting popularity .. negative and postive .. Geo like it the negative way .. they speak thing or institution that people love .. make corrupt instituions and persons heros ...

Another paving brick in the road to a failed state. Rule of law? Not if Muslims are "offended". Kill the blasphemers!!

you have been here for a long time, yet you have not understood our faith, Islam, or perhaps we failed to explain it to you, or may be you are here just to demonize the religion, and then claim that "America" is not against Islam, but some americans (like you) who certainly are

Islam is not a religion of hooligans who go about killing blasphemers as the media depicts to you in the west, or even the scare mongering media in Pakistan like Geo

I personally don't like Quawallis it's a thing we adopted with dozens other of mixed culture things from India ( what I guess Quawallis adopted by Sikh Madhab ) to sing it with Music and clapping hands while using Holy names sound not perfect as per Islamic teachings and culture.
Well, on the topic, what GEO did in it morning show is absolutely condemnable but what M. Luqman is doing is like giving more flames to the fire, in the society we are living you can't ignore the fact that listening to him make someone to take the laws on their own hands and kill and burn things on the name of Islam might be happen.

qawali means a religious hymn. In Hanafi Madhab, it is allowed and encouraged if done without musical instruments.

In Pakistan it is done with musical instruments, and the vast majority of Pakistanis listen to it.

Last edited:
It should have been against the qawali too. Wording is exhibiting shirk.

Ahl e bait are NOT a thing which these guys are using for own earning.

This is condemnable in all its forms. This is NOT aqeedat rather this is blasphemy that too deliberately .

fatwas dont work these days. PEMRA should either be disbanded or it should fulfill its responsibilities

the wording is not considered as shirk by the Sunni Ittehad Council.

oh great another fatwa, just what we need, well it seems like i will be doing Haraam things now
I hardly believe most Pakistanis Sufis will take this fatwa as proper

They will recline to their trusted local Sunni Scholars in internal Punjab, KPK, Sindh for guidance

Karzai is a jew now happy and abdullah abdullah is a hindu ... who the hell are you to say mubashir luqman is a qadyani?? any proof or some afghani culture taught you this BS??

these afghans also allege that ISI is qadyani, and that qadyanis are destroying Pakistan

Yara, I'm very sorry to say it, however, slowly but surely, the concept of "Pakistan" is becoming irrelevant.

well then it is a start for a new Pakistan

Last edited:
I hardly believe most Pakistanis Sufis will take this fatwa as proper
They will recline to their trusted local Sunni Scholars in internal Punjab, KPK, Sindh for guidance
these mullahs have just taken the seriousness out of fatwas

About the authority. Fatawas are issued by trained individuals [ called Muftis ].

Yes, I know.

But in our great nation, as said before, every Tom, Dick and Harry can issue a fatwa.

It is another matter that the Sunni Ittehad Council [ a political organization ] is using fatawas for political gains in this whole fervor against Geo.

Absolutely.

On the other hand, they do talk about faith, religion, and other issues. It is a council of loosely held Sunni Sufi organizations in Pakistan. Not all of them are in consensus with each other.

I agree, but you're missing the point. I even stated that the SIC from what I know of them is a more sane voice, and that is appreciated. However, they should stay far away from politics.

politics is part of Islamic Jurisprudence.

Any Mufti trained must analyze political activities and issue edicts against individuals for the benefit of society as a whole.

As is everything else in life. Islam is not just a religion it is a way of life. And every single issue related to humanity and faith can be found if one looks hard enough.

But do I trust every Tom, Dick and Harry to look hard enough?

Our faith can be remembered in politics. What I am saying is, that the clergy should be kept FAR away from any sort of political influence, which no doubt, many of them will abuse.

Learn from our history. Do not get caught up in technicalities.

you have been here for a long time, yet you have not understood our faith, Islam, or perhaps we failed to explain it to you, or may be you are here just to demonize the religion, and then claim that "America" is not against Islam, but some americans (like you) who certainly are

Islam is not a religion of hooligans who go about killing blasphemers as the media depicts to you in the west, or even the scare mongering media in Pakistan like Geo

Islam is not a religion ONLY of hooligans who go about killing blasphemers. However, it is a religion which shelters such "hooligans" under its broad umbrella. And, the "non-hooligans of Islam" have been unable to expel the hooligans from the Islamic umbrella. Until they are able to do so, the Islamic umbrella will be tainted by their hooliganism. IMHO.

Islam is not a religion ONLY of hooligans who go about killing blasphemers. However, it is a religion which shelters such "hooligans" under its broad umbrella. And, the "non-hooligans of Islam" have been unable to expel the hooligans from the Islamic umbrella. Until they are able to do so, the Islamic umbrella will be tainted by their hooliganism. IMHO.
Well that is a good opinion but lets modify it....It is not the religion that is sheltering these "hooligans" it is the people ...Because according to the very weapon (Islam) they are slyly hiding behind, they have sold their religion for a mere price and are spreading mischief! No where does Islam say it should be utilized like this!

Were these people learned they wouldnt be doing all this but like you said they are hooligans not learned scholars :agree:

IMHO America is tainted ALL over the world by its hooliganism. Is that right or wrong? they are un-popular all over the world. America shelters its hooligans

the point is not tit for tat shooting each other, the point is you are a naïve person, with very little sense of looking at the bigger picture; which clearly shows your bias

what i was trying to say .. two way of getting popularity .. negative and postive .. Geo like it the negative way .. they speak thing or institution that people love .. make corrupt instituions and persons heros ...

my point in bad / negative and controversial news sells ... the more you ban the more people would want it .. by propagating a ban we are helping geo in becoming more popular

how is this different than mullahs version they want to ban geo , you want to ban pemra !

:what: when an organization does not carry on its responsibilities and is useless it should be either replaced or disbanded simple as that. Pemra failed to implement its laws. so how is it comparable with what mullas or religious bodies want ?

the wording is not considered as shirk by the Sunni Ittehad Council.

Let them check it and i am sure they will find.

i feel there is shirk in the wording

Back
Top Bottom