What's new

Walton collaborates with Intel, Microsoft to make laptop

A market of 160 million people is pretty large but I heard them saying that Walton aspires to become one of the top 10 global electronics brands by 2025. For that, they need to reach out to the global market.

What I like about Walton is they are not waiting for the govt. initiatives to help them expand. Their R&D investments and technology sharing process are something quite inspiring...

I am confident that by 2030 Walton will rival the likes of Samsung, if not in size then in quality. It just seems to do everything right.

Companies like Walton give real hope that BD can move beyond garments one day.
I am also optimistic about BD pharmaceutical industry.

There is no alternative to the diversification of economy for a sustainable growth... We have to go beyond garments....

Pharmaceuticals is a promising sector. Aside from the large brands, few smaller companies have also acquired tremendous reverse engineering capabilities... makes it a sector with huge potentials... I guess after the construction of the API Industrial Park, the pharmaceutical industry will get a big boost... @Bilal9 could enlighten us more...

Companies like Walton give real hope that BD can move beyond garments one day.
I am also optimistic about BD pharmaceutical industry.
Walton already conquered Bangladeshi household with their TV,Refrigerator,Washing machine,Air conditioner and other household electronics.They are quite successful at smartphone and bike also.You will find thousands of Walton showroom dotted across the road in BD.They are also expanding very fast in overseas market specially middle east and south asian countries like Nepal. In Nepal, Walton is already a common brand for refrigerator and TV.

The 30,000 Taka laptops would be good for lower income people, mainly outside Dhaka. This should be a good move and if successfully achieved, should reduce the digital barrier existing in the country.

BD's Pharma industry will do good in years to come. We are competitive and maintain a high quality, proven by the approval in getting access to the US market.

Say 10-15 years down the line, I see Home Electronics, Pharma and IT services to capture large chunk of our export percentages.

The 30,000 Taka laptops would be good for lower income people, mainly outside Dhaka. This should be a good move and if successfully achieved, should reduce the digital barrier existing in the country.

BD's Pharma industry will do good in years to come. We are competitive and maintain a high quality, proven by the approval in getting access to the US market.

Say 10-15 years down the line, I see Home Electronics, Pharma and IT services to capture large chunk of our export percentages.

A garment worker in BD earns on average 8,000 Taka a month so they can afford a 30,000 Taka laptop with less than 4 months pay.

Last edited:

Garments (RMG) still has at least a decade of growth, from present $25bn to $50bn in exports.
Leather is another sector, from present $1bn+ to over $10bn (shoes, furniture, bags etc)
Pharma, Horti / Agri / marine, ICT Services, Light Engineering (Auto parts, Bicycles, Batteries, etc), Ship building, White goods (fridges, Tv, phones etc) and Financial services.....

In all Bangladesh is expected to become a major net exporting nation, with increased FDI.

A garment worker in BD earns on average 8,000 Taka a month do they can afford a 30,000 Taka laptop
with less than 4 months pay.

Even if not 4 months, 6 months for sure. And if Walton provides the installment system as they claim, it will get even easier. I wont be surprised to see laptops in a rickshaw puller's house. Many already use smart phones anyway.

Garments (RMG) still has at least a decade of growth, from present $25bn to $50bn in exports.
Leather is another sector, from present $1bn+ to over $10bn (shoes, furniture, bags etc)
Pharma, Horti / Agri / marine, ICT Services, Light Engineering (Auto parts, Bicycles, Batteries, etc), Ship building, White goods (fridges, Tv, phones etc) and Financial services.....

In all Bangladesh is expected to become a major net exporting nation, with increased FDI.

I think leather is the next sector that will become multi- billion dollar export earner.

Things like electronics and pharmaceuticals will
take longer as the technological level will be higher to reach, and there would be more competition

Walton joined hands with the United States-based world renowned companies Intel Corporation and Microsoft Corporation in a bid to introduce various high-tech devices in the country's potential ICT sector.

In collaboration with Intel and Microsoft, the local brand Walton will add the 6th Generation Intel® processor-based laptop computers to its existing products line.

The most stylish, multifunctional and high speed laptops of Walton are going to hit the country's computer market in the last week of September this year.

Walton will launch 20 models of laptop under four series like WaxJambu, Karonda, Tamarind and Passion.

The prices of Walton brand laptops would be between Tk 29,500 and Tk 95,500.

The customer would be able to buy Walton brand laptops on 12-month easy installment facility. The users will also enjoy one year free post-sales service benefit.

Besides, Walton is going to manufacture various sorts of computer hardware like electronics motherboard, informed Walton officials.

They have already brought state-of-the art technology from Europe for establishing motherboard manufacturing unit at the Walton Micro-Tech Corporation at Chandra in Gazipur.

The process of installing high-tech machineries at the factory premises is going on in full swing. From Japan, they brought SMT (Surface Mounting Technology) and AI (Auto Insertion) technology in their factory.

The engineers of Walton’s research and development department are sharing technical knowledge with the R&D engineers of Microsoft and Intel to build its capacity for supplying innovating high-tech products at home and abroad.

Intel is also delivering world's latest 6th Generation Intel® Core-i 3, 5 and 6 processors for Walton laptops. And, Microsoft is providing its supports to Walton through delivering genuine operating system windows and application software.

Moreover, Walton will also supply genuine windows and other Microsoft Office applications at an affordable price for the local customer.

SM Rezaul Alam, director of Walton Group, said they are going to introduce international standard laptops in the local ICT market at affordable prices compared to other brands' laptops.

He said the plant for manufacturing motherboard like high-tech hardware is under construction at Walton factory.

When this project will come into production, he said, Walton would be able to supply laptop in the country’s IT market at around 50 percent lower prices compared to that of other brands.

Zia Manzur, country business manager, Intel Bangladesh, said, "ICT sector in Bangladesh offers high growth potential and Intel believes the local industry plays a significant role in accelerating ICT adoption.”

Intel welcomes the role played by Walton in the advancement of technology-based manufacturing in Bangladesh and supports Walton's initiative to make technology widely available at affordable prices to the citizens of Bangladesh, he added.

Pubudu Basnayake, OEM director (Southeast Asia New Markets), Microsoft, said, "Our wide network of local OEM partners across the world has helped us to deliver Microsoft's rich experience through a variety of devices that are tailored for local markets.

“We are delighted to have Walton on board to produce local devices and are confident that together we can truly make a positive contribution to the local device ecosystem," he said.

See more at - http://en.prothom-alo.com/corporate/news/119301/Walton-collaborates-with-Intel-Microsoft-to-make

Very good news. Walton is going to be a big name for consumer electronic market In Bangladesh. With the introduction of laptop with collaboration with world leader like Microsoft Intel will surely increase their brand image. I am really waiting to get touch the laptop.

I agree. However, regarding agri products our target should be to only maintain self sufficiency. The resources, time and money should then be allocated to heavy industries which are the future.

I agree. However, regarding agri products our target should be to only maintain self sufficiency. The resources, time and money should then be allocated to heavy industries which are the future.

No we can still sell billions of dollar of marine product and finished agro product. They are great in making money.

Agri/Horti products include Jute, pulses, fruits, flowers etc and could be in excess of $2.8bn by the end of 2025, specially horti exports one of the fastest growing areas in Bangladesh. We are self sufficient in most areas, in fact we grow more then we consume but the lack of transport/storage/processing infrastructure means a large percentage never reaches market.

Agri/Horti products include Jute, pulses, fruits, flowers etc and could be in excess of $2.8bn by the end of 2025, specially horti exports one of the fastest growing areas in Bangladesh. We are self sufficient in most areas, in fact we grow more then we consume but the lack of transport/storage/processing infrastructure means a large percentage never reaches market.

I think marine and fish product will be big not fruits and grain.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom