Maximum road speed ~ 90 km/h
Range ~ 600 km
Maneuverability
Gradient 60%
Side slope 30%
Vertical step ~ 0.6 m
Trench ~ 0.6 m
Fording ~ 1.2 m

The VP22 is Chinese Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle (MRAP). It is a smaller 6x6 version of the Beiben Kaijia 8x8 MRAP. Essentially is a clone of the Russian KamAZ Taifun. The VP22 was first publicly revealed in 2017.

The VP22 is intended to operate in areas, where mine threat is high. It can carry troops and cargo under armor. The VP22 has a modular design. Various interchangeable mission modules can be fitted, so the VP22 can be customized for example as a troop carrier, command post vehicle, or armored ambulance.

Armor of the VP22 provides protection for the crew and passengers against small arms fire and artillery shell splinters. This vehicle also has a V-shaped hull and provides protection against mine blasts and improvised explosive devices.

In the baseline troop carrier configuration the VP22 is operated by a crew of 2, including commander and driver and accommodates around 16 passengers.

The VP22 MRAP can be armed with various weapon. It can be fitted with a shielded position for a 12.7 mm heavy machine gun, or alternatively 35 mm automatic grenade launcher. Also this vehicle can be fitted with remotely-controlled weapon station, or various missiles.

The VP22 armored vehicle is powered by a turbocharged diesel engine, developing 432 hp. The engine is located behind the cab. It is mated to an automatic transmission. The VP22 has unusual wheel layout, which allows to distribute evenly the weight of the engine and armored cab. This vehicle has 6x6 configuration with full-time all-wheel drive. The VP22 is fitted with a central tyre inflation system.

VP22
Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle

vp22_l1.jpg

VP22

vp22_l2.jpg

VP22

vp22_l3.jpg

http://www.military-today.com/apc/vp22.htm

Just me or it doesnt have the proven V shaped hull.

lol, but the article said it DOES have a V-Shaped Hull...

Armor of the VP22 provides protection for the crew and passengers against small arms fire and artillery shell splinters. This vehicle also has a V-shaped hull and provides protection against mine blasts and improvised explosive devices.

Either the person who wrote that article is blind or he uses the wrong picture.......Cos I don't see a V-Shaped Hull...

lol, but the article said it DOES have a V-Shaped Hull...

Either the person who wrote that article is blind or he uses the wrong picture.......Cos I don't see a V-Shaped Hull...

Just a hypothesis. The monocoque could've been concealing the V-hull.
V.jpg

Just a hypothesis. The monocoque could've been concealing the V-hull.
View attachment 427912

It does not work that way.

If the V-Shaped Hull is covered by the monocoque, the chassis will seal in with the cabin like in the RG-33

Permissions-Errors-RG-33L.jpg

See how the chassis was put into the cabin from the Wheel Arch?

On the VP-22 however, you can clearly see the Cabin and Chassis is separated from this photo supplied by the above article

vp22_l3.jpg

The V-shaped hull only work if the hull cover extended to the chassis, otherwise the cabin would still have been blown up and blown apart because it was not a continuation of the V-shaped hull...

It does not work that way.

If the V-Shaped Hull is covered by the monocoque, the chassis will seal in with the cabin like in the RG-33

View attachment 427926

See how the chassis was put into the cabin from the Wheel Arch?

On the VP-22 however, you can clearly see the Cabin and Chassis is separated from this photo supplied by the above article

View attachment 427927

The V-shaped hull only work if the hull cover extended to the chassis, otherwise the cabin would still have been blown up and blown apart because it was not a continuation of the V-shaped hull...

I think you're confusing the side panels with the cabin itself. Furthermore, I don't think the space between the wheel and the wheel arch is sufficient to warrant a definitive conclusion that it doesn't have a V-hull (or vice versa).

I think you're confusing the side panels with the cabin itself. Furthermore, I don't think the space between the wheel and the wheel arch is sufficient to warrant a definitive conclusion that it doesn't have a V-hull (or vice versa).

.....I am not talking about side panel...

There are 2 ways to build a V-shaped vehicle, one is build the chassis on top of the V-shaped hull, where you will need to protect the cabin and sacrifice the suspension and drive train to protect the cabin, or you build the hull around the chassis, where you protect the drivetrain and suspension as well.

The reason I ask you to look inside the Wheel-arch is because you can see from the gap between the wheel arch to the cabin on whether or not they are V-shaped. Because either way of building a V-Hull vehicle would have the Cabin protected by the V-hull (that's the main point) and so regardless of whether or not you build the V-Hull covered by the Monocoque, the Cabin would have been V-Hull (either it was the extension of the Chassis as in MaxxPro or a monocoque chassis like RG-33

If you look inside the Wheel Arch of the VP-22, you saw the cabin is square shaped. Which mean the cabin is neither an extension of the hull or the cabin is not V-Shaped, you can argue the INSIDE of the cabin is V-shaped but I have never heard of V-Hull Vehicle produced that way and I don't believe if you build an internal V-Hull, you can seat 16 person in it...

I just want to ask a very basic and may be stupid question... how darn difficult is it to produce a true v shaped hull??? and why many countries including ours are not doing it already??

.....I am not talking about side panel...

There are 2 ways to build a V-shaped vehicle, one is build the chassis on top of the V-shaped hull, where you will need to protect the cabin and sacrifice the suspension and drive train to protect the cabin, or you build the hull around the chassis, where you protect the drivetrain and suspension as well.

The reason I ask you to look inside the Wheel-arch is because you can see from the gap between the wheel arch to the cabin on whether or not they are V-shaped. Because either way of building a V-Hull vehicle would have the Cabin protected by the V-hull (that's the main point) and so regardless of whether or not you build the V-Hull covered by the Monocoque, the Cabin would have been V-Hull (either it was the extension of the Chassis as in MaxxPro or a monocoque chassis like RG-33

If you look inside the Wheel Arch of the VP-22, you saw the cabin is square shaped. Which mean the cabin is neither an extension of the hull or the cabin is not V-Shaped, you can argue the INSIDE of the cabin is V-shaped but I have never heard of V-Hull Vehicle produced that way and I don't believe if you build an internal V-Hull, you can seat 16 person in it...

That's the problem: we can't see what's in the gap between the wheels and the wheel arch since it is too dark. The crew compartment may very well be an extension of the V-hull but we wouldn't know that, plus the sides of the vehicle have been fitted with bolted-on plates or something like that.

Meaning that unless we get clear photos of the bare-naked form of the VP-22 that matches the description you've laid out, there is a possibility of it having a V-hull.

That's the problem: we can't see what's in the gap between the wheels and the wheel arch since it is too dark. The crew compartment may very well be an extension of the V-hull but we wouldn't know that, plus the sides of the vehicle have been fitted with bolted-on plates or something like that.

Meaning that unless we get clear photos of the bare-naked form of the VP-22 that matches the description you've laid out, there is a possibility of it having a V-hull.

You don't understand what I said.

There are two way to build a V-shaped Hull, you either build into/around one (Or what we called BODY ON FRAME), like a MaxxPro or you build on top of one (Or what we called monocoque chassis) like a RG-33 or RG-31.

Body on Chassis can have a low wheel base because you simply build the V-Hull around the chassis, which mean you enclose the chassis, the drivetrain, gearbox and everything WITHIN the Hull (or Cabin). If your MRAP is a Monocoque, which mean you build the Cabin ON TOP of the V-Hull then ON TOP of the Chassis. That mean the wheel base and the chassis is open (because you build the cab on top of it) which mean there will not be a Wheel Arch to begin with, unless you put fender or skirt armour on it. But you will still see the Cabin being elevated on top of the Chassis.

If you say you cannot see thru the gap between wheel arch that mean the chassis is a close chassis and you have a wheel well, which something you actually WON'T have if your MRAP is a Monocoque Chassis. that is because you build the Cab/Cabin/Hull ON TOP of the chassis.

View attachment 428100

MaxxPro - A Body on Chassis V-Hull Vehicle, would have wheel well, but a Monocoque V-Hull Vehicle like a RG-33 will not even have a Wheel Well to begin with.

V.jpg

Compare the MaxxPro and VP-22, see how similar it is when you look at the front? MaxxPro have its V-Hull BUILD INTO THE CHASSIS (You can literally see the suspension and the drive train got tug into the hull) , But according to the article VP-22 is a Monocoque Chassis, which mean it should look like a RG-33 or RG-31.

rg33_mrap.jpg

This is a RG-33, you can see clearly the cabin is built ON TOP of the chassis and driver train (Drive train is seen clearly under the Cabin)

And the Cabin and Chassis is separated like this

1024px-RG-31_damaged_by_a_mine.jpg
Permissions-Errors-RG-33L.jpg

Both of which is a monocoque, both have their cabin built on top of their chassis.

So, if VP-22 is a Monocoque Chassis and it have wheel well, unless you are talking about some unique way the Chinese is building the V-Hull vehicle and build the V inside the cabin (which is an extremely stupid idea to begin with as it will significantly decrease the volume of the Cabin), VP-22 does not have a V-Hull.

Attachments

• vp22_l3.jpg
    vp22_l3.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 50
  • MaxxPro-firefight.jpg
    MaxxPro-firefight.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 40
You don't understand what I said.

There are two way to build a V-shaped Hull, you either build into/around one (Or what we called BODY ON FRAME), like a MaxxPro or you build on top of one (Or what we called monocoque chassis) like a RG-33 or RG-31.

Body on Chassis can have a low wheel base because you simply build the V-Hull around the chassis, which mean you enclose the chassis, the drivetrain, gearbox and everything WITHIN the Hull (or Cabin). If your MRAP is a Monocoque, which mean you build the Cabin ON TOP of the V-Hull then ON TOP of the Chassis. That mean the wheel base and the chassis is open (because you build the cab on top of it) which mean there will not be a Wheel Arch to begin with, unless you put fender or skirt armour on it. But you will still see the Cabin being elevated on top of the Chassis.

If you say you cannot see thru the gap between wheel arch that mean the chassis is a close chassis and you have a wheel well, which something you actually WON'T have if your MRAP is a Monocoque Chassis. that is because you build the Cab/Cabin/Hull ON TOP of the chassis.

View attachment 428100

MaxxPro - A Body on Chassis V-Hull Vehicle, would have wheel well, but a Monocoque V-Hull Vehicle like a RG-33 will not even have a Wheel Well to begin with.

View attachment 428086

Compare the MaxxPro and VP-22, see how similar it is when you look at the front? MaxxPro have its V-Hull BUILD INTO THE CHASSIS (You can literally see the suspension and the drive train got tug into the hull) , But according to the article VP-22 is a Monocoque Chassis, which mean it should look like a RG-33 or RG-31.

View attachment 428101

This is a RG-33, you can see clearly the cabin is built ON TOP of the chassis and driver train (Drive train is seen clearly under the Cabin)

And the Cabin and Chassis is separated like this

View attachment 428099 View attachment 428088

Both of which is a monocoque, both have their cabin built on top of their chassis.

So, if VP-22 is a Monocoque Chassis and it have wheel well, unless you are talking about some unique way the Chinese is building the V-Hull vehicle and build the V inside the cabin (which is an extremely stupid idea to begin with as it will significantly decrease the volume of the Cabin), VP-22 does not have a V-Hull.

The article never mentioned whether the VP-22 adopted a body-on-frame or monocoque configuration (the Kamaz Taifun on which the VP-22 was based had a monocoque design however). If the latter, once again, we wouldn't tell just by looking at the wheel wells since there are bolted-on panels on the sides that extend past the top portion of the wheel well which obscures just how "big" the well is.

The article never mentioned whether the VP-22 adopted a body-on-frame or monocoque configuration (the Kamaz Taifun on which the VP-22 was based had a monocoque design however). If the latter, once again, we wouldn't tell just by looking at the wheel wells since there are bolted-on panels on the sides that extend past the top portion of the wheel well which obscures just how "big" the well is.

My point is,

IF this vehicle is a Monocoque Design, IT WOULD NOT have a wheel well to begin with.

If this vehicle is a Body on Chassis, then the Chassis itself is lacking a visible V-Shaped Hull.

Again, the Chinese can make this vehicle all they want, but in a traditional sense, you can put the v-hull inside the cabin for all the reason, but it look like it was NEITHER the traditional MRAP design. That is my point.

Back
Top Bottom