What's new

Vietnam Conducts Air-Ground Military Exercises

he he he...you are better informed than many vietnamese members here, including me
how about this new transport plane of the airforce: Airbus C295?
View attachment 154589

I can tell you more, there are several upgrades going on at the moment for the T-54 / 55.

1) The T-55M3 as we all know and it keeps going back and forth, so who knows how far it will go.

2) A T-55 tank upgrade with additional optical sensors and laser rangefinder, upgraded fire control system, wind measurement sensor and thermal sleeve for the main gun. After the T-54M3 project was cancelled, this was the latest project to upgrade and modernize the T-54/55 force of the Vietnam People's Army. The tank keeps the old turret and gun.
This is actually a good option, quite cost effective.

3) T-55AMV, T-54/55s are being upgraded to AMV variant with domestic equipment, including self-producing ERA blocks which equal the Russian Kontakt-5.

No, no... it's a whole new designed light tank not from type63 or type62, it will replace old tank like type62.

But the old type 63 can also be upgraded to that standard with a new turret, etc, right?

Looking at the terrain of north VN with the rivers and rice paddies, I agree an amphibious tank like the Spruts are better than a T-54. I don't see any advantage that the upgraded T-54 has over the Spruts. Both will be toasted if hit with a modern APFSDS round. Atleast the Spruts has a bigger gun.

I can see why VN is being hesitant about the T-54 upgrade.

If you ask me, if I have to improve the Sprut for VN needs, I would do just one improvement (other than adding Trophy). Right now, the frontal arc of the Sprut is immune to 23 mm rounds while the rear arc can only handle small weapons fire. The Russians need to keep it very light because it has to be dropped from planes (VN doesn't need that). This tank is only used by their airborne forces. So what I would improve is just to add more protection to the rear arc so that it can also handle the 23 mm rounds if the weight doesn't increase too much. At that point, the Sprut would be perfect for VN needs.

By the way, the tank has never been sold outside Russia so its difficult to know the price, but I estimate around 3 million usd.

But the old type 63 can also be upgraded to that standard with a new turret, etc, right?
Yes definitely.
type_63.jpg

Type63_01[1].jpg

Type 63 and Type 63A.

Thank you, that's what I thought. That's a very good upgrade. Actually, the type 63 came out quite good, no issues that I know about.
I know for PLA need longer body to stay steady under adverse water conditions (sea waves, storms, etc), and in order to make it survive better under amphibious landing warfare, the original 85mm gun is just not very effective anymore, so they changed them to 105mm. I guess they want to make sure these 63s could get into battle as soon as they slide off the transport dock ship. And one of the most important reason for them to upgrade is the FCS... i mean... to aim while floating on the water is just brutal brutal brutal LOL. As long as Taiwan stays there, PLA gonna keep large number of these.

If you ask me, if I have to improve the Sprut for VN needs, I would do just one improvement (other than adding Trophy). Right now, the frontal arc of the Sprut is immune to 23 mm rounds while the rear arc can only handle small weapons fire. The Russians need to keep it very light because it has to be dropped from planes (VN doesn't need that). This tank is only used by their airborne forces. So what I would improve is just to add more protection to the rear arc so that it can also handle the 23 mm rounds if the weight doesn't increase too much. At that point, the Sprut would be perfect for VN needs.

By the way, the tank has never been sold outside Russia so its difficult to know the price, but I estimate around 3 million usd.

Hmmm 3million is near the T-90 price. But a BMD-3 would cost around that price too.

Anyway, they are already designing a new Sprut-D based on the newer BMD-4m. This is from a 2013 article:

An as yet unnamed version of the replacement for the 125 mm 2S25 self-propelled anti-tank guns - also referred to as the SPRUT-D - is now being designed, using components of the BMD-4M. It is expected to weigh around 18 tonnes and like the current 2S25 will be fully air transportable, air droppable, and amphibious. It will be fitted with a turret armed with a 125 mm 2A46M-5 smoothbore gun, which is currently fitted to the latest T-90 main battle tank.

In addition to firing currently fielded 125 mm projectiles and a laser-guided missile, it will also fire the 3BM-46 'Svinets' armour-piercing round, which has a depleted uranium penetrator with enhanced armour-piercing capabilities. The computerised fire-control system includes thermal sights and an automatic target tracking system.

So the armour will maybe be better than the current Sprut.

Vietnam is strong in south east. But much weaker comparing to China, especially in Navy and Air force.
A fast raid to disable Vietnam navy and air force is possible. Also this will not cause much politics issue.
A land war will be much troublesome..
Also China will not start a war first unless started by Vietnam..
Do you think Russia, US and west countries like France will do anything for Vietnam?
They will do nothing.China is much more important than Vietnam to all countries..

Yes it is possible , that Russia will do something. Russia and Vietnam are close trades allies , and close historical friends.
And the US? im not so sure about that same for the Western.
But you know. other asian country will fight with Vietnam for the same reason.
Like example , Japan , Korea , Phillipines , Singapore , Thailand , India and Taiwan will fight. They also have border issues with China.

Yes it is possible , that Russia will do something. Russia and Vietnam are close trades allies , and close historical friends.
Like example , Japan , Korea , Phillipines , Singapore , Thailand , India and Taiwan will fight. They also have border issues with China.

That's highly likely. China is tough on the internet. It's actually funny to read some of the comments from some of these Chinese members and just laugh at them. They think war is so simple. I wonder if these guys really have any street smart or just pure book worm. :omghaha:

Hmmm 3million is near the T-90 price. But a BMD-3 would cost around that price too.

Anyway, they are already designing a new Sprut-SD based on the newer BMD-4m. This is from a 2013 article:

So the armour will maybe be better than the current Sprut.

Well, the T-90 is 4.25 million and an IFV like the BMP-3 is already around 2.5-3 million.

I've also read that the Sprut-SD for VN will have some improvements based on the new version for Russia, but I don't know the details.

I like the Sprut-SD, I think it will workout well for VN, but I'd like to see it with active protection.

Russia rely so much on China.
China and Russia is very close friends that has cooperation in military, energy, finance...
While Vietnam is a little friend without much benefit for Russia..
So is other countries..
They hate Vietnam much more than China!

LOL ... ur guy always bring wrong information to the Vietnam like last Sino-Vietnam War strong USSR will help his close friend to fight against China. Whatever thank you, so easy on the mouth.

Empty Promise always sounds so BEAUTIFUL, CHEAPER than the toilet roll. :omghaha:

Did West media just teach u China is the only enemy to whole Asia ? OMG why these Asia nations still trading with Evil China and fund more money to improve PLA strength ?

Last edited:
I know for PLA need longer body to stay steady under adverse water conditions (sea waves, storms, etc), and in order to make it survive better under amphibious landing warfare, the original 85mm gun is just not very effective anymore, so they changed them to 105mm. I guess they want to make sure these 63s could get into battle as soon as they slide off the transport dock ship. And one of the most important reason for them to upgrade is the FCS... i mean... to aim while floating on the water is just brutal brutal brutal LOL. As long as Taiwan stays there, PLA gonna keep large number of these.
Add large numbers of 105mm ZBD-05 in PLA NanJing military region, Hmmm ... except updated there's no more type63 coz ZBD-05 mass production.

aaxnazvt.jpg

37786_196827_422252.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom