What's new

Vietnam Conducts Air-Ground Military Exercises

Yea lol.. thats why @Toss The Lemon said it's better for VN to develop its own heavy industry. Then VN can develop a tank for its own environment, not a tank designed for someone else's environment.

So against PLA's 3rd gen, you think Abrams are better for VN? less mobility but better armour protection. Both use the same gun.
No, Leopard MBT is OKay, it depend on how VN use tanks.

I think Tanks made in China is low quality. Thailand has dropped imported tanks from china (1988) in to sea .

View attachment 154507

Yes we all know the Russian t-55 are so much better made, that is why Vietnam still using them?
T54-55_1.jpg

No, Leopard MBT is OKay, it depend on how VN use tanks.

Actually, I think it will be a waste of money for VN to buy Abrams or Leopard 2a7. The chance of PLA tanks rolling down into VN is almost zero. Tank is only needed for occupation.

Better to spend money on other things, like SAM and fighter jets.

LOL ... it seems u clearly understand MBT design background the "Cold War". Yes u r right ! During "Cold War" time, Germany+France and U.S + Britain they have different duties to defense the Europe when face USSR tanks, the job of Germany/France MBTs is to delay Russian T62/T72/T80 tanks and wait for main principal tank forces (Challenger/Abrams MBTs) coming from Britain and U.S to support them, their tanks focus on high-mobile but less thick armors.

Germany Leopard-IIA7 will be better, A6 55.9ton ==> A7 67ton, im sure German add amours on their latest Leopard II tank.

Leopard ll is too heavy for VN roads anyway. I think the T-90 is the best option for VN. A T-90 can be hit at point blank by a 125 mm munition and still wont be penetrated. At 46 tons its just about right for VN roads and later in a few years the Russian Armatta tank will be the one to get. They kept the same level of protection but using lighter alloys and it has much better crew protection.

In addition to that, I think VN needs a light tank for mountain terrain and they are actually getting the Sprut-SD (125 mm gun)for the marines which is quite good for the job and amphibious, but at only 18 tons they sacrificed protection. I feel it should have active protection.

Here are some pics of the Sprut-SD:

sprut_sd_l1.jpg
sprut_sd_l2.jpg
sprut_sd_l3.jpg
sprut_sd.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
Q502507090481540.jpg
Russia_Arms_Expo_2013_(531-28).jpg

Yea lol.. thats why @Toss The Lemon said it's better for VN to develop its own heavy industry. Then VN can develop a tank for its own environment, not a tank designed for someone else's environment.

So against PLA's 3rd gen, you think Abrams are better for VN? less mobility but better armour protection. Both use the same gun.

Definitely, VN should design a medium tank of 30-35 tons for mountain terrain.

Definitely, VN should design a medium tank of 30-35 tons for mountain terrain.

Really? VN is buying a Sprut? how much do they cost?

Why do they bother upgrading the T-54 if they're planning to get the Sprut? might as well save that $290million and buy more Spruts, or upgrade its armour.

yes we also train our soldiers, but what do you have for your soldiers to go to war? not the T-59s build by us right?

but other chinese warmongers dont think so. they threaten us with big mouths.

Really? VN is buying a Sprut? how much do they cost?

Why do they bother upgrading the T-54 if they're planning to get the Sprut? might as well save that $290million and buy more Spruts, or upgrade its armour.

Yes, it has already being decided. The marine infantry is using the Type 63 and the PT-76, they are both old, so what was decided was to buy the Sprut-SD and to upgrade the PT-76 changing the gun to a 57 mm (from a 76 mm gun) so that it acts as fire support. One key elements of the choice is that it always has to be a fully amphibious vehicle for amphibious assault purposes. I'm not sure about the price, I think 3 million or so.

The truth is, one way to go for Vietnam is to just get light tanks for the army (not just for the marines) such as the Sprut-SD and have the advantages of mobility, etc and to arm them with trophy active protection ($200k - 300k), so that instead of having all the heavy armor, they just rely on Trophy for immunity against rpg / atgm weapons, because in the end, whether they are 18 tons or 30 tons, if they get hit by a 125 mm shell, they are gone no matter what. I think that gives a good balance and is very good for the type of terrain that VN has. Sprut-SD can be dropped from a plane with parachute by the way.

What is the terrain on the Viet-China border like? Isn't it a river delta?

I agree with you, I prefer an Sprut rather than a T-55M3 any day.

Something is fishy about that program.

Actually, I think it will be a waste of money for VN to buy Abrams or Leopard 2a7. The chance of PLA tanks rolling down into VN is almost zero. Tank is only needed for occupation.

Better to spend money on other things, like SAM and fighter jets.
I don´t think it is zero if the conflict escalates. the PLA sent over 500 tanks into the battle during the war of 1979.
tank[1].jpg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom