What's new

Vietnam Conducts Air-Ground Military Exercises

Thermal Imaging is a old idea. In 1970s, US army using Thermal Imaging System in some important military base, but only be good in the first time.

@Carlosa Here another interesting pics to share here, about Germany Leopard-IIA6 MBT.

I only say, u just get what u pay for ... lol, the West MBT legend not as good as ur thought. There'r many good-looking Hollow Armours to cheat ur eyes, when face China 125mm gun with Tungsten-alloy APFSDS ... lol. :D

additional hollow armors + 300mm (im sure) front alloy armor :pop:
bao2a4_01.jpg
bao2a4_02.jpg
bao2a4_04.jpg
bao2a4_05.jpg
bao2a4_06.jpg
bao2a4_07.jpg
bao2a4_08.jpg
bao2a4_03.jpg

Compared it with China ZTZ96A :coffee:
f5gggts905tg10.jpg

f5gggts905tg9.jpg

Last edited:
Another interesting pic in my hands is France AMX-56 Leclerc MBT :D

235709ypnhvttodgdtc1tz.jpg

You are right, both of those are crappy, so much for good old german tanks (and French).
Strictly speaking, there's no 100% perfect tank but must be one practical tank for u, a tank expert will help u to judge which tank is good for VN, all MBT makers in the world have their own 'SECRET' inside tank alloy armors, so their defense capability r so different generally more thickness and more better !

I just share some pics about West MBT's armors here, as i said u just get what u pay for, u still can get better tank when money r ready =).

Pls let me tell a truth here ... No matter what tank Vietnam really get, they won't be useful to threat north neighbor, coz China is a big world tank power and has many types of ATMs+armed helicotpers+UAVs.

Last edited:
@Carlosa Here another interesting pics to share here, about Germany Leopard-IIA6 MBT.

I only say, u just get what u pay for ... lol, the West MBT legend not as good as ur thought. There'r many good-looking Hollow Armours to cheat ur eyes, when face China 125mm gun with Tungsten-alloy APFSDS ... lol. :D

additional hollow armors + 300mm (im sure) front alloy armor :pop:
View attachment 154436 View attachment 154437 View attachment 154438 View attachment 154439 View attachment 154440 View attachment 154442 View attachment 154443 View attachment 154444

Compared it with China ZTZ96A :coffee:
View attachment 154449
View attachment 154448
You are right, both of those are crappy, so much for good old german tanks (and French).

Those "hollow" armour are just add-on amour, not the main amour (as cnleio already said).

Those hollow armour type is good against HEAT warhead.

If the German wanted to, I'm pretty sure they can use a solid block as an addon amour just like the ZTZ96A. It won't cost them much.

But I think they went for the hollow design for a balance between weight (mobility and range) and protection.

It's just a different design doctrine, I don't think German design are inferior.

Those "hollow" armour are just add-on amour, not the main amour (as cnleio already said).

Those hollow armour type is good against HEAT warhead.

If the German wanted to, I'm pretty sure they can use a solid block as an addon amour just like the ZTZ96A. It won't cost them much.

But I think they went for the hollow design for a balance between weight (mobility and range) and protection.

It's just a different design doctrine, I don't think German design are inferior.
But the armor thickness is there ... if u need better defense, u'd better change it and might need some update like engine system.

When face this, the hollow armor is not good for u, addon amour like ZTZ96A is absolutely good !
untitled.jpg

Last edited:
But the armor thickness is there ... if u need better defense, u'd better change it and might need some update like engine system.

The German designer just have a different way of thinking, because they probably have a different kind of enemies compared to the PLA.

The PLA wants maximum protection. The German wants maximum mobility/fuel efficiency and thinks their protection is good enough (maybe they think most enemy tanks will only be the T-72/T-80 type).

I've heard that compared to the US Abrams, the Leopard 2 has way better range and fuel efficiency. So I'm not surprised that they've sacrificed armour protection for this. It's just a different way of thinking.

But this means that for a country like VN fighting against 3rd generation Type 99, the Leopard might not be the best. Against the Type 99, VN needs protection, not range or mobility.

The German designer just have a different way of thinking, because they probably have a different kind of enemies compared to the PLA.

The PLA wants maximum protection. The German wants maximum mobility/fuel efficiency and thinks their protection is good enough (maybe they think most enemy tanks will only be the T-72/T-80 type).

I've heard that compared to the US Abrams, the Leopard 2 has way better range and fuel efficiency. So I'm not surprised that they've sacrificed armour protection for this. It's just a different way of thinking.

But this means that for a country like VN fighting against 3rd generation Type 99, the Leopard might not be the best. Against the Type 99, VN needs protection, not range or mobility.
LOL ... it seems u clearly understand MBT design background the "Cold War". Yes u r right ! During "Cold War" time, Germany+France and U.S + Britain they have different duties to defense the Europe when face USSR tanks, the job of Germany/France MBTs is to delay Russian T62/T72/T80 tanks and wait for main principal tank forces (Challenger/Abrams MBTs) coming from Britain and U.S to support them, their tanks focus on high-mobile but less thick armors.

Germany Leopard-IIA7 will be better, A6 55.9ton ==> A7 67ton, im sure German add amours on their latest Leopard II tank.

Last edited:
I think Tanks made in China is low quality. Thailand has dropped imported tanks from china (1988) in to sea .

Reef+tank[1].jpg

LOL ... it seems u clearly understand MBT design background the "Cold War". Yes u r right ! During "Cold War" time, Germany+France and U.S + Britain they have different duties to defense the Europe when face USSR tanks, the job of Germany/France MBTs is to delay Russian T62/T72/T80 tanks and wait for main principal tank forces (Challenger/Abrams MBTs) coming from Britain and U.S to support them, their tanks focus on high-mobile but less thick armors.

Yea lol.. thats why @Toss The Lemon said it's better for VN to develop its own heavy industry. Then VN can develop a tank for its own environment, not a tank designed for someone else's environment.

So against PLA's 3rd gen, you think Abrams are better for VN? less mobility but better armour protection. Both use the same gun.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom