What's new

Vietnam Conducts Air-Ground Military Exercises

Why do they bother upgrading the T-54 if they're planning to get the Sprut? might as well save that $290million and buy more Spruts, or upgrade its armour.

If you increase the armor then is no longer amphibious. Active protection is the key because you can't increase the armor enough if you want protection from 125 mm shells, etc anyway.

mountains, hills and rivers.
only the border regions to China.

but should the PLA break through our defence positions as Lang Son, Cao Bang and Loc Binh, their tanks and infantry units could rush further down very quick to the capital as the territory is almost flat and roads are plenty. Back then in 1979, both sides knew that as both armies were engaging in bitter battles of Lang Son. as the city fell, the war escalated to a new level.

Vietnam-China[1].jpg

Last edited:
LOL ... it seems u clearly understand MBT design background the "Cold War". Yes u r right ! During "Cold War" time, Germany+France and U.S + Britain they have different duties to defense the Europe when face USSR tanks, the job of Germany/France MBTs is to delay Russian T62/T72/T80 tanks and wait for main principal tank forces (Challenger/Abrams MBTs) coming from Britain and U.S to support them, their tanks focus on high-mobile but less thick armors.

Germany Leopard-IIA7 will be better, A6 55.9ton ==> A7 67ton, im sure German add amours on their latest Leopard II tank.
I think, the german leopard 2 is a very good tank. it can take on almost enemy modern tanks.

well, during the cold war the german armed forces were the main strike force of the NATO. but the NATO alliance knew their weakness: the armies hardly handled the massive superior conventional armies of the Soviet alliance, so they planned that should the Soviet tanks did break through, all of the infrastructures such as bridges, roads and buildings would be blown up, and if that did not stop the Soviet advance, nuclear strikes would be carried out.

Last edited:
I think, the german leopard 2 is a very good tank. it can take on almost enemy modern tanks.

well, during the cold war the german armed forces were the main strike force of the NATO. but the NATO alliance knew their weakness: the armies hardly handled the massive superior conventional armies of the Soviet alliance, so they planned that should the Soviet tanks did break through, all of the infrastructures such as bridges, roads and buildings would be blown up, and nuclear strikes would be carried out.
Challenger II >> M1A2 >> M1A1 >> Leopard IIA6, a Top Attack ATM will be a good "can opener" to most 3-gen MBTs.

The truth is, one way to go for Vietnam is to just get light tanks for the army (not just for the marines) such as the Sprut-SD and have the advantages of mobility, etc and to arm them with trophy active protection ($200k - 300k), so that instead of having all the heavy armor, they just rely on Trophy for immunity against rpg / atgm weapons, because in the end, whether they are 18 tons or 30 tons, if they get hit by a 125 mm shell, they are gone no matter what. I think that gives a good balance and is very good for the type of terrain that VN has. Sprut-SD can be dropped from a plane with parachute by the way.

Looking at the terrain of north VN with the rivers and rice paddies, I agree an amphibious tank like the Spruts are better than a T-54. I don't see any advantage that the upgraded T-54 has over the Spruts. Both will be toasted if hit with a modern APFSDS round. Atleast the Spruts has a bigger gun.

I can see why VN is being hesitant about the T-54 upgrade.

Yes, it has already being decided. The marine infantry is using the Type 63 and the PT-76, they are both old, so what was decided was to buy the Sprut-SD and to upgrade the PT-76 changing the gun to a 57 mm (from a 76 mm gun) so that it acts as fire support. One key elements of the choice is that it always has to be a fully amphibious vehicle for amphibious assault purposes. I'm not sure about the price, I think 3 million or so.

The truth is, one way to go for Vietnam is to just get light tanks for the army (not just for the marines) such as the Sprut-SD and have the advantages of mobility, etc and to arm them with trophy active protection ($200k - 300k), so that instead of having all the heavy armor, they just rely on Trophy for immunity against rpg / atgm weapons, because in the end, whether they are 18 tons or 30 tons, if they get hit by a 125 mm shell, they are gone no matter what. I think that gives a good balance and is very good for the type of terrain that VN has. Sprut-SD can be dropped from a plane with parachute by the way.
he he he...you are better informed than many vietnamese members here, including me
how about this new transport plane of the airforce: Airbus C295?
Airbus%2Bdelivers%2BC295M%2Bto%2BVietnam[1].jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the terrain of north VN with the rivers and rice paddies, I agree an amphibious tank like the Spruts are better than a T-54. I don't see any advantage that the upgraded T-54 has over the Spruts. Both will be toasted if hit with a modern APFSDS round. Atleast the Spruts has a bigger gun.

I can see why VN is being hesitant about the T-54 upgrade.

Correct, that's my whole point and with Trophy that would be the most cost effective way to go plus some T-90's to defend Hanoi, etc.

The Sprut uses the same 125 mm gun of the T-90 and the same ammunition as well as missiles.

Last edited:
Correct, that's my whole point and with Trophy that would be the most cost effective way to go plus some T-90's to defend Hanoi, etc.

Actually, the 2 choices that VN did about buying new tanks, T-90 and Sprut, are very good choices, but the upgrade of the T-55 is useless.

he he he...you are better informed than many vietnamese members here, including me
how about this new transport plane of the airforce: Airbus C295?
View attachment 154589

This one is doing flight testing right now.

I knew about the 3 C-295 for VN since 2 years ago. Actually, it was at first 5 units, later changed to 3.

That's a very good update by the way, good amphibious tank and the speed on water was increased to 14 km. It would be a good option for VN it it were to not be chinese. VN has 150 type 63.
No, no... it's a whole new designed light tank not from type63 or type62, it will replace old tank like type62.

Back
Top Bottom