What's new

V Sehwag world’s best opener: Matthew Hayden

Saeed and Amir no doubt as a pair, I think they are talking about Sehwag as an individual.

But as a pair, I'd even put Jayasuria and Kaluwitharana up there as well. They started hitting the ball around when it was unimaginable to try and hit big sixes off every over.

exactly 100% agreed. They are the culprits behind changing ODI cricket's trend of 250 runs in 50 overs to 400 :lol:

They changed the name of cricket in World cup 1996 after hitting 100 - 120 runs in first 10-12 overs. They were indeed one of the most deadliest opening pairs we have seen in past decade or so.

Last edited:
exactly 100% agreed. They are the culprits behind changing ODI cricket's trend of 250 runs in 50 overs to 400 :lol:

They changed the name of cricket in World cup 1996 after hitting 100 - 120 runs in first two overs. They were indeed one of the most deadliest opening pairs we have seen in past decade or so.

100-120 runs in two overs???????? :what::what::what::what: :blink::blink:

100-120 runs in two overs???????? :what::what::what::what: :blink::blink:

He must have meant 10 or 15....

Btwn.. its been a while since we talked Moin bhai.
How are u? Tech gave a shocker for a brief time banning u.. .. Checked that thread just to see what went wrong..Anyway nice to see u back..

yeah right... how can you make 100 runs in two overs? :D Impossible... :sick:

How are u?

yup I am busy in Ramadan prayers... :) and I am fine Alhamdolillah :)

Tech gave a shocker for a brief time banning u.. .. Checked that thread just to see what went wrong..Anyway nice to see u back..

yes me shocked too... I said nothing wrong, just called suicide bombers non-muslims and he thought I said this to Shiites...

How are u? Tech gave a shocker for a brief time banning u.. .. Checked that thread just to see what went wrong..Anyway nice to see u back..

exactly, 10 overs was in my mind.......i don't know how i typed 2 overs :angry:

To compare him to Tendulkar is sort of unfair on both of them. Sehwag may have modeled his batting on Tendulkar's , but his brain does not work the same way.

Tendulkar is an amazingly consistent batsman, has an impeccable technique, does the basics right, and has a school-boyish hunger for runs. He thinks like most cricketers do, except he has found a way to achieve most of his plans through talent, skill and hard work. And by all accounts, he is best player (not just batsman) to have played limited overs cricket.

By contrast, Sehwag is a pretty average performer in LOIs, barring the just-concluded tri-series in SL. But in Tests, he is streets ahead of any other cricketer (except Bradman) in the history of the game. He has changed the way the game is perceived, often plays on a different level than the other 21, and achieves milestones with deceptive simplicity. He has already contributed to more Indian test victories than any other batsman, and may soon overtake Kumble as our biggest match winner.

Based on his achievements, he has to be considered the best. Let's hope he was not serious about retiring after playing a 100 test matches!

no debout, in the present time v sehwag is the opener in world cricket. he is the good attacking player...:smitten:

Gavaskar, Rameez Raza, Inzamam - "Sehwag is most entertaining, destructive batsman. Sehwag is ahead of Richards"

Ganguly - "Richards slightly ahead of Sehwag"

Garry Sobers - "Gavaskar noses ahead of Brian Lara, Viv Richards and Sachin Tendulkar when it comes to batting greats"

Here's my list of top 'cricketers' -

1. Don Bradman
2. W.G. Grace (I would even say better than Sir Don Bradman, at his peak)
3. Jacques Kallis/Graeme Pollock/Gavaskar
4. Sachin/Murli/Warne/Akram/Richards/R Hadlee
5. Dravid/Imran/Ponting/Lara/Hayden/G Sobers/G Chappell
6. Waqar/McGrath/Walsh/Donald/S Pollock/Ambrose
7. Sehwag/Jayawardene/Allan Border/Ian Botham/Gilchrist
8. S Waugh/Jayasuriya/Sangakarra/Jeff Thomson/Dennis Lillee/Miandad
9. Kumble/G Gooch/Kapil Dev/J Hobbs/M Yousuf
10. Inzamam/Greenidge/Vettori/Lee/Harbhajan/Laxman

But when it comes to list of cricketers who have had a lasting impact on how the game is played.

1. Sachin (He made BCCI earn money, richest board now)
2. Gilchrist (Former wicket keepers who were suppose to be brilliant with the gloves has been blown away by Gilchrist's batting)
3. Imran Khan (had a bigger influence on pace bowling in the subcontinent)
4. Sehwag (If Test cricket is still alive, it is because of players like him)
5. Shane Warne (helped revive interest in spin bowling)
6. Kapil Dev (proving that India could indeed win major tournaments and one day become the best in the world, he had an actual legacy - Ganguly, Dhoni)

Last edited:
Tendulkar & Ganguly
Saeed Anwar & Aamir Sohail

two of the best opening pairs i have seen in my days :)

the first part is unanimous but i would replace the second by
Saeed Anwar and Shahid Afridi....
and
Greenidge and Haynes deserve a mention too.....
sad to see the oldies being gradually forgotten.....:(

no debout, virendher sehwag is the best opener.. all indian cricket fans are like he.because he scores big runs...:flame::flame::flame:

Back
Top Bottom