What's new

US Government vs Congress: Sale of F16s to Pakistan

No matter what the outcome, Pakistan will have to ditch the F-16 acquisition in its current incarnation. This money is sorely needed for the further development of the JF-17 project. Strategic aspirations and other interests aside. We have to look further. Afghanistan is of no bigger importance as opposed to other pressing issues at home. Afghanistan has become an American based project. It is better to stay out of this mess. I'm sure the Americans have the resources and capacity to deal with the Afghan problem.

if anyone can play the leverage game, we can..... our whole existence, to this date, has been on playing this game...... and we've played it very well indeed!

Then I suggest Pakistan start using this so called leverage soon. And it needs to use it to convince Congress, not the White House.

The US will pay for the F-16s, one way or another. It may not even be direct, but Pakistan will not pick up the tab.

It could very well be a case of Pakistan buying from a secondary country, and the US paying for those, thus circumventing congress. It has happened before with Pakistan buying from Jordan and upgrading them in Turkey, with US paying for most of the upgrade; this all happened under the radar and without congressional approval.

What do you mean "under the radar" and "without congressional approval?" Previous MLU upgrades and funding were approved by Congress. It will be the same this time around too.

Will Pakistan get it? Don't know. Given the see-saw relations in US-Pakistsn relations anything can happen. Also have to take into the consideration what the new US President want to do.

No one to blame ,,,,lots of lobbies active to stop the delivery of F16 ....Its Pakistan foreign office or foreign minister job to counter these anti Pakistan lobbies...............question is......is there any foreign minister or foreign office ???????...or they all busy to counter " panama leaks " ...

I've always maintained the F-16s are a foreign policy tool for the U.S to exert influence in Pakistan. I just think it's time Pakistan grows out of such a relationship.

Sir why can't you put your voice into the top brass of PAF ? everyone knows that their love for F-16's is based on Commission and kick backs .. there is a limit to everything or making fool out of nation .. why can't we just move on without F-16's if there was no F-16 would there be NO PAF ??

I've always maintained the F-16s are a foreign policy tool for the U.S to exert influence in Pakistan. I just think it's time Pakistan grows out of such a relationship.

Short but logical and comprehensive analysis you are absolutely right sir

First sane article on the bro-code between the US and Pakistan....... let's see in the F16-funding saga, on which side of the divide will the proverbial camel sit........

@Quwa @Oscar @Horus your views?

@MastanKhan, calm down bro......... if anyone can play the leverage game, we can..... our whole existence, to this date, has been on playing this game...... and we've played it very well indeed! :D

Hi,

Only if you knew how the game was played----.

You call this playing the game---by being dragged thru mud and slime all the time.

Hello All
I m not against F16 , They are Good Birds , BUT I just have one simple Question , We are currently storing 5 years spear Parts for F16 , HOW Much that cost us ?, how many parts we lost in stores?, And If Sanction come!!! , How many birds we can keep operational and for how long? I mean if we have spear parts for 80 birds and we use all 80 for 5 years the all parts gone Then What?
Keep one thing in Mind They are our Prime Birds Today and That status will remain same for 5 to 10 more Years.
Thank You All and waiting for answer .

I think F16 is not just foreign policy tool. It is a power projection. There is possibility that all critical parts are also manufactured by PAF if in case of dire need. We are just guys discussing about PAF and its inventory they know more than us. Our pilots still prefer f16 after even flying flankers of china and j10 there must be some reason even after all strings attached the PAF is pursuing them.

US uses F-16s to mesmerise Pakistan the same way a psychologist uses pendulum to hypnotise patients. The moment Pakistan get free of this mesmerisation and see the world around, it will find many more profitable options to invest its money.

I think F16 is not just foreign policy tool. It is a power projection. There is possibility that all critical parts are also manufactured by PAF if in case of dire need. We are just guys discussing about PAF and its inventory they know more than us. Our pilots still prefer f16 after even flying flankers of china and j10 there must be some reason even after all strings attached the PAF is pursuing them.

And I just also don't get one thing , IF16 new blokes are better then all the birds Then Why The Hell On Earth USA Wasting billions of Dollars on new Birds like F35 , F22 and Y they are Upgrading F18 And F15, and Why the hell on Earth they used A10s for Ground attacks, and they are still bringing more birds out and they are planning to close F16 production line ,,,,,,,,,??????????????????????????????????????
Please all of you Help me finding out the right answer so we can give that answer to JF17 fanboys and F16 Lovers

Thank you all

Considering the cost then, I would prefer F16, too. Now the cost looks different.

Back
Top Bottom