What's new

US blocked transfer of Jordanian F-16s to Pakistan

nope, only the one from Jordan were old
PAF never got older ones
older ones are very cheap and USA will only allow older f-16 to be sold to any country when it want some strategic shift, \ example is Romania and Indonesia, they got older f-16s when USA wanted them to move away from russain equipment

Indonesia never operated Russian equipment in the past. They have signed deals for Flankers

Pakistans own fault

They cut Erieye and F16 after 2006 earthquake

At no point should military budget be effected by political decisions even natural disasters, we can build country later but you can defend later

Did cutting those orders make any difference? Only to airforce

After that we had dozens of opportunities to buy up new and old fighters we didn't

So now they are crying about blockage by US? Why ? You didn't learn from 1980s saga? You get the chance you take it if not stay quite no point in embarrassing yourself again and again

Well said.

PAF's infrastructure can support about 100 F16's. The strategy makes sense; get cheap used F16's, put them through MLU's and you have an excellent multi-role fighting aircraft ready to go. I think PAF will continue on with its efforts to try and procure additional F16's till we reach the limit of our infrastructure servicing capability.

well sir you do these kind of procurement when you have good or very good diplomatic relations but today the diplomatic relations are declining very fast so rather then sticking to the original plans there should be other plans of procurement from other countries

Even today is was reading the news the US Defence Minister Secretary Jim Mattis' statement on CPEC which was well in favor of India Calling GB an Disputed area...

They gonna block the F-16 transfer to Pakistan from any country which is operating them so better to move on and look for other options

As I see, the main problem is:
- JF17 is changing the way PAF organizes its aircraft fleets, the JF17 is assuming (and it will) the job of main air defence fighter. In same way it replaces the F16 fleet job performing since the 1980s.
- This way the F16 fleet is assumed as the main air assault platform for PAF.

So the US dont want to increase the PAF air strike platform, and I am not talking about attack aircraft, I am talking about multirole strike package with the ability to strike and operate inside "Enemy Territory".
And we now that +70 F16 can do this right now, imagine 100!!

I think that there are studies of the need of some 40 fighters to operate continuosly over a major target until it is destroyed, so PAF is short some 10 F16 fighters to operate against two targets. Do understand these may be far way from each other. so dividing enemy air defence resources (including AAA/SAM) phisicaly.

Thanks

i heard this news last year and i still believe Pakistan should not buy these more than 2 decade old Jordanian aircrafts which Jordan is selling because they are eyeing more modern jet and Pakistan is offering them a handsome amount to reach their quest for a new fighter instead pakistan should divert the funds to procure the modern jets or to become a part of 5th generation fighter development program with china or may be turkey this move will pay them off much better than keep gathering the old jets around the globe

Hi,

When posters use my " original " writings in their comments---it is requested to them to give me credit for that---and not use it as their own---.

Because nobody wrote those comments before on this forum---or other pakistani media---& they did not know it either---so I would appreciate the recognition.

Only the last paragraph matters

To answer that, try calculating the cost of inducting a different weapon system with all the associated training, ecosysem and force integration costs versus something you have been flying for 30 years and know every atom of it

Hi,

My mother had been using a wonderful drug for her blood pressure for the last 25 years---the drug basically had no side effects---then suddenly the company went under during the depression in 2008-09---.

The replacement medicine has side effects---it is not as good and has other troubles associated with it---but as she wants to live---she has adjusted herself to this new medicine---.

The change was not comfortable---but she has adapted well.

Tell you what---the F16---is just like a bucket of water from a well---Paf will learn to live without it---.

Last edited:
And that has already been looked at into being the 5th generation system. Completely independant of most foreign suppliers.

That's atleast a step to move away from the F16's, just my point.

Pakistans own fault

They cut Erieye and F16 after 2006 earthquake

At no point should military budget be effected by political decisions even natural disasters, we can build country later but you can defend later

Did cutting those orders make any difference? Only to airforce

After that we had dozens of opportunities to buy up new and old fighters we didn't

So now they are crying about blockage by US? Why ? You didn't learn from 1980s saga? You get the chance you take it if not stay quite no point in embarrassing yourself again and again

Do you have any Russian options in mind that PAF should look into ?

J10 B/C with AESA / IRST will be excellent platform in A2A and compliment JF17 thru Karakorams Eagle and data link
1 J10 with 3 JF17 ,what a sight it will be for F16 the role can be more defensive and SEAD

J10 and F16 are almost alike in capabilities, F16 on the upper edge obviously. With JF17 block III, all three will have similar capabilities. Atleast the upgraded avionics of all three would match sooner or later. Don't get me wrong, J10 can offer advantage in integrating Ra'ad when Mirage is retired.

It might be a good idea to induct a platform which has capabilities different from JF17, F16 and if J10 is considered.

An aircraft which is either heavier or stealthier and if used as strike platform can carry Ra'ad.

Hi,

When posters use my " original " writings in their comments---it is requested to them to give me credit for that---and not use it as their own---.

Because nobody wrote those comments before on this forum---or other pakistani media---& they did not know it either---so I would appreciate the recognition.

Hi,

My mother had been using a wonderful drug for her blood pressure for the last 25 years---the drug basically had no side effects---then suddenly the company went under during the depression in 2008-09---.

The replacement medicine has side effects---it is not as good and has other troubles associated with it---but as she wants to live---she has adjusted herself to this new medicine---.

The change was not comfortable---but she has adapted well.

Tell you what---the F16---is just like a bucket of water from a well---Paf will learn to live without it---.

Your posts talk about the 'heavy long range fighter'. Perhaps PAF needs to change the doctrines a lot to accommodate such a type of aircraft in 4.5 gen category. The cost factor is the first step, army and navy have made big purchases. Army keeps inducting various types of equipment in small quantity, navy is going for subs. PAF has to jump in and snatch its share too. Stop Looking around for F16 could be a good starting step. Light fighter is steady here. Heavy or stealth.

You ensured that every one reading your posts gets a thorough knowledge of JH-7B, hehehe.

I would say the SU34 is also a very capable aircraft in same category and a Russian option not flown by India. It can carry a variety of bomb load with ease and can have upgraded avionics suite. It has seen combat recently in COIN ops. French avionics has been tested on it (Thales Damocles pod, probably considered for JF17 too).

It can be integrated into Mirage squadrons and if data linked with them, it can act as mini AWACS and guide them in strike operations and is also an excellent option when Mirages retire.

Although your point has been long range strike missions, the amount of ammo a single SU34 can carry, PAF would not need to get 4 Mirage in the air for COIN or short-medium range strikes.

Then why isn't PAF moving away from US made F16 as it's main offensive weapon.
Sir old blk-15 F-16s with the average of 5500+ flying hours (7 out of 15 have flown > 6K hours) without MLU and were supposed to replace an old F-7 squadron could not be termed as main offensive weapon ....

our main reasons for the attraction for the offered batch were
- The availability fighter jet with lower price (estimated price $ 5-7 million= approximately one third to one fourth of JF-17 price)
- Capability to fire BVR
- Easy integration with current PAF infrastructure
- Commonality with existing fleet
- Replacement of F-7 squadron
- Time saving of at least 12 months (time taken for the production of same number of JF-17)
- Financial savings of at least $ 295-325 million (approximate cost of 16 new JF-17 is around $350-400)

that deal was just a bonus .... we can not say that our main plan of action is affected by the denial of this deal ....

Last edited:
J10 and F16 are almost alike in capabilities, F16 on the upper edge obviously. With JF17 block III, all three will have similar capabilities. Atleast the upgraded avionics of all three would match sooner or later. Don't get me wrong, J10 can offer advantage in integrating Ra'ad when Mirage is retired.

It might be a good idea to induct a platform which has capabilities different from JF17, F16 and if J10 is considered.

An aircraft which is either heavier or stealthier and if used as strike platform can carry Ra'ad.
Yes you are right in many ways F16 and J10 are more or less equal in offering probably F16 with more mature platform is half a step a head ,for me the capability of F16 is irrelevant in terms of sanctions and personally i like them to be replaced as early as possible in the meantime delta replaces delta . Mirages are bound to be replace and J10 with dedicated Cruise missile and SOW would be great addition , J10 and Jf17 if share common instruments it will be great for us

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom