What's new

US and Japan to develop supercomputer to challenge China

ChineseTiger1986

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
The US and Japan are to work together to develop a new supercomputer in order to challenge China's Tianhe-2 supercomputer, reports the Global Times, a tabloid under the auspices of the Communist Party mouthpiece People's Daily.

Sebastian Anthony, editor of technology weblog Extreme Tech, said that China is currently winning the supercomputer arms race against the United States, adding that China's Tianhe-2 is capable of operating as fast as 33.86 petaflops per second, almost twice as fast as the US Department of Energy's Titan.

Developed by China's National University of Defense Technology, the Tianhe-2 is recognized as the fastest supercomputer in the world. It was originally scheduled for completion in 2015 but the Tianhe-2— which is housed at the National Supercomputing Center in Guangzhou in southern China's Guangdong province — was put into operation in June this year.

Japan's K computer, designed by the Japan-based Fujitsu, was originally the world's fastest computer in 2011 but has been surpassed by the Tianhe-2 and the US systems Titan and IBM Sequoia in just two years.

The US Department of Energy will now team up with the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology to develop the new supercomputer with the ability to surpass the Tianhe-2. It is believed the supercomputer will be completed by 2020 and will be 100 times faster than Japan's current K computer, the Global Times said.

US and Japan to develop supercomputer to challenge China

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I smell too much hysteria here. :coffee:

Some childs only growth in body ,but their mind ......;)

Can't the US or Japan achieve this on their own?

Because the Tianhe-2 has an unique design layout structure, although most of the regular processors belong to either Intel or AMD, but its interconnect chips all belong to China. With the interconnect structure, it is the main reason why Tianhe-2 is so powerful and efficient.

China Tianhe-2 Supercomputer based on 32000 Intel Ivy Bridge and 48000 Xeon Phi chips will have over 55 petaflops this month

Since our indigenous regular processors are still inferior to those of Intel and AMD, to make our indigenous regular precessors 100% on Tianhe-2 will also lower Tianhe-2's performance a bit.

Furthermore, China has its unique operating system for Tianhe-2.

Kylin (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lets see if 2 men can make a genius.

The show never ends!

PS Global Times is not a tabloid. It has some very good articles!

And i though the Super Computers were for super fast complex calculations and other processes !!!

Now its to challenge ;)

I think that instead of this countries should try to find ways to make super computers available to the common people
Increase thier availbility in villages & small towns

I think that instead of this countries should try to find ways to make super computers available to the common people
Increase thier availbility in villages & small towns

Why, of what use a supercomputer can be to common man?

I've heard that the Tianhe-2 wasn't even running on it's peak for the current published benchmark scores. Which mean Tianhe-2 is still underrated, can anyone confirm this?

well honestly instead of building more powerful supercomputer , people are better to come to find ways o use these computers more efficiently

well honestly instead of building more powerful supercomputer , people are better to come to find ways o use these computers more efficiently

If they can make it run efficiently, I'm sure they'll know how to use it efficiently no?

Back
Top Bottom