What's new

US an Arab allies begin airstrikes in Syria

It has begun....

Holy crap war has started....

I knew that typhoons taking off ever few minutes heading north and not coming back were up to something.....

nothing about that in the link you provided, source ?

There's a live blog running on cnn. A reporter mentioned that the F-22 would/had made its combat debut. I haven't seen any other confirmation though.

There's a live blog running on cnn. A reporter mentioned that the F-22 would/had made its combat debut. I haven't seen any other confirmation though.

Tomohawks and F-22s are not going to be used just for ISIS targets I can tell you that much...

And which targets did these hit??
3a8ab4c9a1a05415f309051c7c78f710.jpg

9f57dac3cb0d7977000489323963296a.jpg

US begins bombing ISIL strongholds in Syria

US says attacks involve bombers, fighters and cruise missiles, while reports state involvement of Arab allies.

The United States has said it and its allies have begun bombing positions held by ISIL in Syria, the first such attacks since forming a coalition to confront the group.

The attacks began at about 00.30 GMT on Tuesday, with the first wave of about 20 strikes taking about 90 minutes. Other waves were expected in the coming hours.

"I can confirm that US military and partner nation forces are undertaking military action against ISIL terrorists in Syria using a mix of fighter, bomber and Tomahawk land attack missiles," a spokesman for the department of defence said.

"The decision to conduct theses strikes was made earlier today by the US central command commander under authorisation granted him by the commander in chief. We will provide more details later as operationally appropriate."

The US did not confirm what was targeted, but reports on social media stated that areas of Raqqa - the ISIL stronghold in Syria - were hit.

The AP quoted an unnamed official as saying the strikes were conducted by the US, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and the UAE. Official US statements have not mentioned those allies by name, and as yet none have confirmed their involvement.

The attacks come just two weeks after the US formed a coalition to confront the ISIL group, which has taken over large areas of Syria and Iraq and declared a "caliphate".

The coalition includes Nato, non-members including Australia and Arab nations.

The US president, Barack Obama, said on September 10 that an expanded campaign would degrade and ultimately destroy the group.

The attacks also come a day after ISIL's spokesman, Abu Mohammed al-Adnani, called on supporters of the group to attack foreigners wherever they are.

In a 43-minute video, Adnani said: "If you can kill a disbelieving American or European - especially the spiteful and filthy French - or an Australian, or a Canadian, or any other disbeliever from the disbelievers waging war, including the citizens of the countries that joined a coalition against the Islamic State, then rely upon God, and kill him in any manner.''

Al Jazeera's Imran Khan, reporting from Baghdad, said the timing of the coalition's attacks must been seen in the context of ISIL's announcement.

"This was a doctrinal shift by ISIL, previously they maintained they weren't at war with the US and its allies and that their key goal was to strengthen the caliphate."

US begins bombing ISIL strongholds in Syria - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Are you sure about it?

F-22 is an Air-supremacy fighter. There is no Airforce with ISIS, and even if Assad is to be bombed, his Airforce could easily be downed by F-16's themselves.

F-22s can carry 2 1000Ib JDAMs or 8 250Ib SDBs.

It has begun....

Holy crap war has started....

I knew that typhoons taking off ever few minutes heading north and not coming back were up to something.....

Same for Typhoons. Least suitable Airplane from Saudi arsenal, if it is taking part in ops.

F-22s can carry 2 1000Ib JDAMs or 8 250Ib SDBs.

F-16's could carry even more. F-22's are designed to clear Airspace of hostile Airplanes so that Bombers and less stealthy planes could take over from them.

Employing them in bombing run is financially unsound decision.

US assets being used are F-22s, B-1 bombers, F-16s, F-15s, F-18s, and drones. The George H. W. Bush Strike group is operating in the Red Sea.

Are you sure about it?

F-22 is an Air-supremacy fighter. There is no Airforce with ISIS, and even if Assad is to be bombed, his Airforce could easily be downed by F-16's themselves.

Assads regime was reportedly not informed, so F-22s were probably deployed out of caution.

Same for Typhoons. Least suitable Airplane from Saudi arsenal, if it is taking part in ops.

F-16's could carry even more. F-22's are designed to clear Airspace of hostile Airplanes so that Bombers and less stealthy planes could take over from them.

Not if it is there as protection for the F-15s as they fly above Regime controlled part of Syria. I wanna know if there was any Air-Air altercations so bad right now.

As Mr.Raptor says, they are there to make sure the bombers reach their destination. Most capable SAAF fighters are the Mig-29s, which isn't saying much to be honest.

Today is Saudi Arabia's national day by the way, nothing like war to bring a healthy dose of nationalism isn't it?

Not if it is there as protection for the F-15s as they fly above Regime controlled part of Syria. I wanna know if there was any Air-Air altercations so bad right now.

As Mr.Raptor says, they are there to make sure the bombers reach their destination. Most capable SAAF fighters are the Mig-29s, which isn't saying much to be honest.

Today is Saudi Arabia's national day by the way, nothing like war to bring a healthy dose of nationalism isn't it?

Could be.

Even though i don't think F-15's and F-16's need anyone's protection unless they are bombing one of top 7-8 military powers.

Could be.

Even though i don't think F-15's and F-16's need anyone's protection unless they are bombing one os top 7-8 military powers.

Wait until Assad says "We hold our right to respond to a time of our choosing" after getting his entire SAM batteries obliterated by Tomahawks and Saudi SLAM-ERs and JASSMs.

Back
Top Bottom