What's new

Urdu vs English: Are we ashamed of our language?

total utter bullsh!t
i lived in the u.s. for over 14 years and in public i speak english even with another pakistani because that's the initial language we first spoke in. if i spoke to him in urdu first then i speak to him mainly in urdu. the original post has no sense of the psychological element involved

The fact is..

Most of us think speaking English in a stylish accent is of 'High class' and boasts their 'Social status'.
They think speaking Urdu doesnt make them different from others. This is a matter of shame.

Spread your culture and its charms.
Thats the way to overcome it.

Be proud of what you are! :tup:

initially ppl disowned their mother tongue & adopted urdu/hindi & now hindi/urdu are on way to be replaced by english

what do u mean ?

I went to Japan for a vacation once, and even in the biggest tourist areas (Universal studios for example)... the park attendants did not speak even a single word of English. Their attitude is, "Why should we learn English, you should learn Japanese!"

I actually admire them a lot for that. :lol:

Luckily, the Japanese language is written using Han characters, so it's easy to communicate with them by writing it down in Chinese characters.

Virtually no one speaks english in japan, one of the most successful economies of this century.

I had a friend who used to go to belgium/france for work for his accountancy firm. I asked him how he communicated.
He replied they can speak english, but say to me 'your in our country, why should we speak your language?'

I personally believe that language is nothing else but a medium of communication. If speaking English helps you communicate with a wider audience, then go ahead and speak english.

Then again, I'm fairly poor in both Hindi (the 'cultural tongue' in Delhi) and Multani (my mother tongue).....

Virtually no one speaks english in japan, one of the most successful economies of this century.

I had a friend who used to go to belgium/france for work for his accountancy firm. I asked him how he communicated.
He replied they can speak english, but say to me 'your in our country, why should we speak your language?'

Actually it is other way around. You can afford not to speak English if you are japanese / french / spanish / dutch.
But if you are from poorer countries, it is imperative that you use a global language to your advantage.

I would say if we were colony of french, still we should have learn English, because it is the language in which business is done worldwide.

I dont think any widely spoken language like urdu/hindi should feel threatened by English, because it will remain your mother language, and English your second language.
And only half educated people show off their English, educated people try to guess and use the language other guy is most comfortable with.

I would say that knowing as many languages as you can is a very good thing.

english is a colonial heritage, rdu is such a nice language, i learned it by living outside pakistan

those shameless people who speak english in pakistan and make it their norm, they should be executed

urdu should be our mode of education, all developed countries do that

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

Yes. I wish I could learn spanish. I tried on my own, but could not go very far.

i tried to learn french and german :disagree:

Yes. I wish I could learn spanish. I tried on my own, but could not go very far.

Yeah, I wish I could too. I picked up (& now can speak fluent) Gujarati living with Gujarati friends here in America, but maybe I picked it up easily was because it is pretty similar to Hindi/Urdu. I tried learning Spanish & Arabic, but it was very hard for me.

Most Pakistanis have been brought up speaking our national language Urdu and English. Instead of conversing in Urdu, many of us lapse into English during everyday conversation. Even people who do not speak English very well try their best to sneak in a sentence or two, considering it pertinent for their acceptance in the ‘cooler’ crowd.

I wonder where the trend started, but unknowingly, unconsciously, somehow or the other we all get sucked into the trap. It was not until a few years ago while on a college trip to Turkey that I realized the misgivings of our innocent jabber.

A group of students of the LUMS Cultural Society trip went to Istanbul, Turkey to mark the 100th Anniversary of the famous Sufi poet Rumi. One day we were exploring the city when we stopped at a café for lunch. The waiter took our orders, and continued to hover around our table during the meal. We barely noticed him until he came with the bill, and asked us:

“Where are you from?”

“Pakistan”

The waiter looked surprised, and then asked whether we had been brought up in England. We answered in the negative, telling him how Pakistan was where we all had grown up and spent out lives. The waiter genuinely looked perplexed now. Finally he blurted out:

‘Then why don’t you speak in the Pakistani language?’

The waiter went on to explain how Turkey, particularly Istanbul was a hot tourist location, luring millions of people of different nationalities from across the globe. However, when the Dutch would come visit, they would speak Dutch. When the French would come, they would speak French. When the Chinese would come visit, they would speak Chinese. Similarly everyone in Turkey spoke Turkish. He claimed he was very proud of his language and culture and failed to understand how someone would not speak the language of their country and choose instead a foreign tongue.

There were around ten of us there, and we were all at a loss of an answer. We had never thought of it that way. It was just something that you took up because of society. Even when people speak in Urdu, they tend to include a lot of English words in their sentences. Why is that? Is it because we are not proud of our national language? I am sure all of us are aware of how beautiful Urdu is, the poetry, grace and rhythm of our language is exceptional.

One excuse that springs to mind is the concept of ‘ westernisation’ due to the increased pace of globalization in todays world. Globalization is a factor, and yet the Japanese still speak Japanese, the Thai still speak Thai, the Greeks still speak Greek. China, a powerhouse on the global economic front, despite its many factories and western products production still speaks Chinese. In fact when the Chinese Olympics were held in 2008, the Chinese government actually had to ask its Chinese public to learn a few basic English words to help welcome the world.

I respect how these countries value their sense of identity, culture and language. I was deeply ashamed of what image I was unknowingly portraying of my country. I am very proud of Pakistan and Urdu, as I am sure we all are. No matter the problems, it is still our identity. I understand the irony of this article, since it is written in English. However, it is one way to reach those people who may unconsciously be making the same mistake as I was.

When living in the UK or travelling abroad, I make sure I use Urdu to converse with fellow Pakistanis. At home, I am also trying, though it is admittedly difficult since apparently there is a weird and honestly ‘sad’ association of how ‘cool’, well brought-up and educated a person is with the amount of English he or she speaks. I write this article because it is high time we break such ignorant patterns in our society. Urdu is a beautiful and graceful language and we owe our country the respect it deserves by speaking and portraying our true roots.

Kiya khayal hai?

Urdu vs English: Are we ashamed of our language? – The Express Tribune Blog

it's the same with almost every other former Britisher colony.....ever been to Egypt and engaged with their youth? Same thing.....mixing Arabic with English phrases. Same even as far away as Nigeria.

in all honesty, I think ability to learn and speak English is a huge asset for Pakistan. Until the day comes that all world transactions and commerce take place in Urdu language or Turkish (God i wish that day existed) -- i would change my views. But I think Pakistanis being able to speak English is a huge asset.

Having lived in Turkiye for a few years, the Turks are different. They are very nationalistic people but most importantly, they never been under any foreign colonialization. So there was never any outside anglo influence being 'imposed'

I sympathise with the view that Pakistanis should focus more on the national language, since it is such a perfect language in my opionion (for day to day discussion as well as for music and poetry)

but we shouldnt be ''ashamed'' that we speak English. What different would it make if the LUMS guys spoke Urdu in the Turkish restaurant. The average Turk doesnt speak Urdu either......in fact, the average Turk hardly speaks or understands English (except the ''Istanbullus'' or the ''Ankara-ites''')

to be quite honest, i have had frank discussions with Turkish friends that they must also open up and learn English --since it is an emerging market country and almost all business-related transactions and activity is conducted in English language in the world. that's the reality.

No Pakistani inside or outside of Pakistan is ''ashamed'' of Urdu our national language. And if they are, they should get their heads and mental condition examined professionally. It's a superior language.

It is also because our national language is Urdu and Official Language is English....It is also because we way behind in development in compare to other countries.......and for that we need to read books which are written mostly in English...We are learning their knowledge.....Just see the Chinese if they are using their language....they are also developed enough in Technology.

it's the same with almost every other former Britisher colony.....ever been to Egypt and engaged with their youth? Same thing.....mixing Arabic with English phrases. Same even as far away as Nigeria.

in all honesty, I think ability to learn and speak English is a huge asset for Pakistan. Until the day comes that all world transactions and commerce take place in Urdu language or Turkish (God i wish that day existed) -- i would change my views. But I think Pakistanis being able to speak English is a huge asset.

Having lived in Turkiye for a few years, the Turks are different. They are very nationalistic people but most importantly, they never been under any foreign colonialization. So there was never any outside anglo influence being 'imposed'

I sympathise with the view that Pakistanis should focus more on the national language, since it is such a perfect language in my opionion (for day to day discussion as well as for music and poetry)

but we shouldnt be ''ashamed'' that we speak English. What different would it make if the LUMS guys spoke Urdu in the Turkish restaurant. The average Turk doesnt speak Urdu either......in fact, the average Turk hardly speaks or understands English (except the ''Istanbullus'' or the ''Ankara-ites''')

to be quite honest, i have had frank discussions with Turkish friends that they must also open up and learn English --since it is an emerging market country and almost all business-related transactions and activity is conducted in English language in the world. that's the reality.

No Pakistani inside or outside of Pakistan is ''ashamed'' of Urdu our national language. And if they are, they should get their heads and mental condition examined professionally. It's a superior language.

you are such a huge admirer of ataturk and turkey, do you knows turks hardly understand english, all their education is in english??

i have met some chinese, and they speak communicatable english so they dont have problems adjusting to english in england, they dont learn their subjects in english, but they have english as a separate subject, mathematics is also done in chinese

Time and time again the myth is believed that english is important for 'progress' or economic development. As this poster has shown, turkey with virtually no english has progressed far better than english speaking pakistan. Turkish exports are far greater than pakistan's, lack of english has not held them back.

Both germany and china are non-english speaking, and they're the world's leading exporters.

Taiwan is light years ahead in technology compared to pakistan, all their scientific education is in chinese. I met a chinese girl from a textile research institute, she couldn't speak english.

The same applies to south korea.

There is an old saying, the longer you repeat a lie, the more people believe it.

Another point you may notice; white people don't surrender their language, only dark people do. Not a single European country uses english like the dark folk of the sub-continent.

Back
Top Bottom