What's new

Urdu vs English: Are we ashamed of our language?

The "Aryan" languages are aggressive. In Four thousand years, they spread from the steppes and bogs of North east Europe, first eliminating the original languages of Anatolia, Iran, the Hindu Kush, and the Indus Valley, before driving the Dravidians to south nowhere and eliminating all non-Aryan tongues but Basque from Europe. Latin was even worse. Try to find a speaker of Gaelic outside of Brettany or Wales (and the vocabs of these languages are a third latin) The process is repeating in the Novo Mundo with Spanish and Portuguese.
English is the worst. I have been told by several Indian migrants to the US that they consider English their first language.
But don't worry, in a thousand years, if civilization survives, everyone on the planet will speak Chinese and practice Buddhism.
Peace

Time and time again the myth is believed that english is important for 'progress' or economic development.

if you read my post clearly, you will note that I am simply making a point that English is the internationally spoken language for now; so until another language replaces it as the language for international trade or business dealings or for official matters involving 2 or more different countries in a globalized world --- knowing English is an asset

being multi-lingual is always an asset.....having more knowledge than less knowledge on anything is ''good'' --or am i wrong in saying that?

As this poster has shown, turkey with virtually no english has progressed far better than english speaking pakistan. Turkish exports are far greater than pakistan's, lack of english has not held them back.

that has absolutely nothing to do with language.....it has to do with electing the right leaders, it has to do with their population which is better educated and better equipped to contribute towards their countries success

lack of English has not held them back, and surely there is always room for further improvement however they see fit.

Both germany and china are non-english speaking, and they're the world's leading exporters.

uhhh, you are aware how many English speakers exist in those countries?

as for chinese -- you give them a language book and they will learn it. I've met Chinese who speak better Urdu than even I do. LoL.

Taiwan is light years ahead in technology compared to pakistan, all their scientific education is in chinese. I met a chinese girl from a textile research institute, she couldn't speak english.

again, you are making the mistake of thinking that I am saying that ''you wont succeed unless you speak English''

that is nonsense....(hogwash)

There is an old saying, the longer you repeat a lie, the more people believe it.

Another point you may notice; white people don't surrender their language, only dark people do. Not a single European country uses english like the dark folk of the sub-continent.

funny thing is, people of the sub-continent who are all-round educated speak better English than those ''white people'' you are talking about

by the way, people dont ''surrender'' their language or identity. To do so would be un-natural.

my advice to you would be to go back and read my post properly...

you are such a huge admirer of ataturk and turkey, do you knows turks hardly understand english, all their education is in english??

First of all, yes I am a GREAT admirer of Ataturk & Turkiye. As a Pakistani, I lived there and I loved it.

as for English, yes the average Turk does not really understand English very well; except (as i stated in post) some of the urbanites in big cities like Istanbul or Ankara (the federal capital) or places like Izmir and Antalya where a lot of tourists go.

were you trying to make a point?

i have met some chinese, and they speak communicatable english so they dont have problems adjusting to english in england, they dont learn their subjects in english, but they have english as a separate subject, mathematics is also done in chinese

the Chinese took the time to define 'English' mathematical terms into their own language.

can any of you wise-guys tell me how to say ''standard deviation'' , ''derivative'' , ''antidifferentiation'' , '' intuitionistic linear logic'' or ''integrandstand'' in Urdu?

if you know what the Urdu equivalent is, i'm all ears and will update my vocabulary ---since I prefer Urdu over English when there are people around me who speak it.

so please find me those equivalents, i'll be waiting.

thanks in advance!

p.s. if you knew me well enough, you would know I am all for shedding away our ''british'' past and anything related to it; since britisher time represent a time of near-slavery and foreign occupation

when Pakistan was suspended from the ''Commonwealth'' (for the umpteenth time) I celebrated

BURGER KIDs............ We make fun on such kind....... pathetic.

Me n my pals we have speak Mixingo.

Urdu,punjabi,pashtu and baluchi and some english words are used on "special" occasions............ dnt have parsi,balti,shina or sindhi speaking frnds.....

can any of you wise-guys tell me how to say ''standard deviation'' , ''derivative'' , ''antidifferentiation'' , '' intuitionistic linear logic'' or ''integrandstand'' in Urdu?

if you know what the Urdu equivalent is, i'm all ears and will update my vocabulary ---since I prefer Urdu over English when there are people around me who speak it.

You do realise that most of us, myself included, did not study mathematics and sciences in Urdu. But yes I do happen to know a few of the terms you want:

Calculus is aHSaa2 - احصاء. differential is tafriiqii and integral is mutakaamil, you can add these prefixes whever you want. waazi3-e-takaamil would be an integrant. baraadar-e-buzurg this isn't my domain and I can't suggest further translations.

standard-deviation though is the simplest of them all, i.e. ma3yaarii inHiraaf! Similarly a mean is auSat or mayaan/myaan.

*3 is 3ayn, H is halway wala H, S is Suaad, t is a toay.

aapkoo khush aayey hammaray jawaabaat?

We used to have an academic system upto PhD in Hyderabad's Osmania University till 1947 would you believe it? It kills me to see all that wealth of knowledge die the death of a forgotten civilization.

durrently i feel people have complexes hence they wish to speak in english! english is not necessary knowledge is! infact i feel pakistan needs to learn arabic so they understand quran and can stop this jahil religious persecution!

however i fele punjabis are soooo arrogant they only speak in punjabi with whoever they meet! and same goes for urdu speaking people hence a mess everyone is just to arrogant to even except urdu as the true national language of the country

What about Punjabi/Pashto speakers in Pakistan? Pakistan shouldnt have any official/national language, and states should be allowed to promote their mother tongue.

Very common among Pakistanis and bharatis abroad at least. I speak in Urdu if I know the person I am speaking to can speak Urdu. Even if they keep going on in English, I will still go on in Urdu.

who said that we are shamed of our languages just because we learn english?
my family members abroad speak marathi at home and english with others...same happens here when we are at home we speak marathi with each other....when there is business meeting we speak in english(not all people understand hindi,marathi)

frankly speaking english is the worst language and spelling bee competitions are open celebration of faults in that language..
but if none of us knew english we would not have been able to even discuss on this topic on forum :)

who said that we are shamed of our languages just because we learn english?
my family members abroad speak marathi at home and english with others...same happens here when we are at home we speak marathi with each other....when there is business meeting we speak in english(not all people understand hindi,marathi)

frankly speaking english is the worst language and spelling bee competitions are open celebration of faults in that language..
but if none of us knew english we would not have been able to even discuss on this topic on forum :)

i agree with you. i use Marathi in home and English when in college.

in words of avdhut gupte " mitra jinklas ".

in schools and colleges english should be the medium, but for god's sake, speak friggin urdu in the fraud national assembly and give a speech on the may 2 incident in urdu , considering that alot of pakistan does not know english.

ma3yaarii inHiraaf! Similarly a mean is auSat or mayaan/myaan.

*3 is 3ayn, H is halway wala H, S is Suaad, t is a toay.

Arabs use this and the same can be used for Urdu

2 = ء

3 = ع
'3 = غ

5 = ح
'5 = خ

6 = ط
'6 = ظ

7 = ح
'7 = خ

8 = ق

9 = ص
'9 = ض

sub ka ettihad hai hamein urdu bolne chahiye likin shaid hum ney URDU ko bhula dia hai...

Haan, mein to bachpan se zehi bolta aa raha hoon ke hume Urdu bolne chahiye but these gora wannabes and their insecure off springs ko kuch khujle hai or angreezi mein bakwas karte hain.

Translation: I agree.

On a serious note, we do not have any authoritative authors or poets who can enchant the masses with their urdu, its a sad thing to see because the land of Iqbal should have produced a number of poets.

We did at a time but they were not given a platform for their work.

I hope to see things get better in the future.

Urdu is a language created by poets to express their feelings in a way that no other language can express.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/69582/speaking-of-urdu/

What about Punjabi/Pashto speakers in Pakistan? Pakistan shouldnt have any official/national language

Yes, it SHOULD

by the way, I'm a native Pashto speaker and I'm fiercely proud to call Urdu my NATIONAL LANGUAGE

and states should be allowed to promote their mother tongue.

they already are???

who told you they weren't. There is even media/press/radio in local languages. Interestingly enough, there's a lot of Pashto music and entertainment coming out of Karachi which is in Sindh!

Back
Top Bottom