What's new

Upward Mobility in Pakistan on 66th Independence Day

Personal attack and the drivel that followed it aside, it still doesnt negate the fact that in dollar terms, if I invested in KSE exactly 5 years back a sum of $ 100 usd, I would have been left with only $ 74 today (a loss of 26%)... A loss much greater than what I would have borne, if I invested in the S&P 500 index (which would have been just under 7%).. And you folks have been sounding the death music for American economy for all of those 5 years :D

Personal attacks? Or your imagination at work?

As to KSE-100 after the recent run-up, it's shares are still very cheap by historic standards, both in terms of price-earnings multiples and in market cap to GDP ratios. KSE is poised for a long bull market and expected offer much higher returns than other Asian ad world markets over the next several years.

Personal attacks? Or your imagination at work?

In case i misunderstood, then i take it back. But I still stand firm on the drivel part . ;)

As to KSE-100 after the recent run-up, it's shares are still very cheap by historic standards, both in terms of price-earnings multiples and in market cap to GDP ratios. KSE is poised for a long bull market and expected offer much higher returns than other Asian ad world markets over the next several years.

People who operate on the basis of recent runups normally dont do very well in stock markets.. Hence I showed the last 5 year result..

Isn't the Iranian stock exchange equally seeing unusual growth too?

As for the Thread topic - By all major expert opinions over the next one half decade, India and China will drive the world with it's 50% middle class population.

Here's an excerpt from a piece in The Atlantic Cities on economic mobility in US and comparing it with Pakistan:

A 2007 study by the organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development combined a number of previous estimates and found income heritability to be greater in the United States than in Denmark, Australia, Norway, Finland, Canada, Sweden, Germany, Spain, and France. The United Kingdom, which had been far less mobile than the United States during the late nineteenth century, brought up the rear, but this time it was just a bit less mobile than the United States. Thanks to a 2012 recalculation by Miles Corak, an economist at the University of Ottawa, we can now add Switzerland, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, and Pakistan to the list of societies that are more mobile than the United States.

Why Some States Are More Economically Mobile Than Others - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities

Timothy Noah: The Mobility Myth | The New Republic

Mobility is the greatest and easiest during transition from an agricultural to an industrial economy, and falls off relatively speaking in a post-industrial society. In fact, USA has not been a particularly mobile country since the early 20th century.

Here's a Bloomberg story titled "Pakistan, Land of Entrepreneurs":

On a warm Sunday morning in November, Arif Habib leaves his posh home near the seafront in southern Karachi and drives across town in a silver Toyota Prado SUV. About half an hour later, he arrives to check up on his latest project: a 2,100-acre residential development at the northern tip of this city of 20 million. He hops out, shakes hands with young company call-center workers who are dressed for a cricket match, and joins them at the edge of the playing field for a traditional Pakistani breakfast of curried chickpeas and semolina pudding. After a quick tour of the construction site, he straps on his leg pads, grabs his bat, and heads onto the field. “The principles of cricket are very effective in business,” says Habib, 59. “The goal is to stay at the wicket, hit the right balls, leave the balls that don’t quite work, and keep an eye on the scoreboard. I feel that my childhood association with cricket has contributed to my success.”

Habib, who started as a stockbroker more than four decades ago, has expanded his Arif Habib Group into a 13-company business that has invested $2 billion in financial services, cement, fertilizer, and steel factories since 2004. His group and a clutch of others have become conglomerates of a kind that went out of fashion in the West but seem suited to the often chaotic conditions in Pakistan. Engro (ENGRO), a maker of fertilizer, has moved into packaged foods and coal mining. Billionaire Mian Muhammad Mansha, one of Pakistan’s richest men, is importing 2,500 milk cows from Australia to start a dairy business after running MCB Bank, Nishat Mills, and D.G. Khan Cement.

These companies have prospered in a country that, since joining the U.S. in the war on terror after Sept. 11, has lost more than 40,000 people to retaliatory bombings by the Taliban. Political violence in Karachi has killed 2,000 Pakistanis this year, and an energy crisis—power outages last as long as 18 hours a day—has led to social unrest. Foreign direct investment declined 24 percent to $244 million in the four months ended Oct. 31, according to the central bank.

At the same time, some 70 million Pakistanis—40 percent of the population—have become middle-class, says Sakib Sherani, chief executive of Macro Economic Insights, a research firm in Islamabad. A boom in agriculture and residential property, as well as jobs in hot sectors such as telecom and media, have helped Pakistanis prosper. “Just go to the malls and see the number of customers who are actually buying in upscale stores and that shows you how robust the demand is,” says Azfer Naseem, head of research for Elixir Securities in Karachi. “Despite the energy crisis, we have growth of 3 percent.”

Sherani of Macro Economic Insights estimates the middle class doubled in size between 2002 and 2012. “Those who understand the difference between the perception of Pakistan and the reality have made a killing,” Habib says. “Foreigners don’t come here, so the field is wide open.” The KSE100, the benchmark index of the Karachi Exchange, has risen elevenfold since mid-2001. Shares in the index are up 43 percent this year alone. Over the past decade, stocks have been buoyed by corporate earnings, which were bolstered in turn by rising consumer spending.
---------
Today, Habib has 11,000 employees and annual revenue of 100 billion rupees. He plans to expand into commodities trading and warehousing. “I’ve created all my wealth in Pakistan and reinvested all of it here,” says Habib, who drives himself to his cricket matches and is never accompanied by security guards. In 1998, when Pakistan’s share index fell to a record low after the government tested nuclear weapons, Habib bought shares even though “people thought I was mad.”...

Pakistan, Land of Entrepreneurs - Businessweek

Can you help this boy? Why should you help? read for yourself:

Making machines: Teenage prodigy displays knack for mechanics
By Fazal Khaliq
Published: April 5, 2013
Share this article Print this page Email
531290-javaid-1365104393-638-640x480.JPG

The excavator model is operated by a hydraulic mechanism executed through syringes. PHOTO: EXPRSS
SHANGLA:

Like many prodigies who have redefined the way people look at machines and the power of physics, 17-year-old Javed Iqbal does not care much for elaborate theories. Rather, he has constructed scaled models of various machines from rudimentary components he has found while rummaging through garbage and scrap.

Tucked away in the remote Borshat village of Koz Kana in Shangla district – far removed from modern technology – Iqbal is obsessed with becoming a mechanical engineer. He has constructed functioning models of excavators, helicopters and a micro hydel power (MHP) station. His most recent creation, a fully operational excavator, drew a large number of villagers who came to admire the ingenious model.

The idea came to his mind when he saw excavating machines brought to his area to restore network lines swept away by the 2010 floods.

“I was attracted by the function of a strange machine called the excavator. It worked as a human arm does. I started making a model and succeeded after a few days,” the teenager told The Express Tribune.

Iqbal’s excavator relies on a rudimentary hydraulic system put together using discarded syringes. “I thought a lot about how to make the model functional and then came up with the idea to equip it with small pipes and syringes. I collected the materials from a garbage dump and fixed a pair of syringes for every function. In every pair, one syringe is filled with water so that when its plunger is pushed, the transfer of fluid to its counterpart sets the particular component in motion.”

Iqbal’s other creation has the potential for a major breakthrough in the provision of electricity to his impoverished district. He has made a model of a power generation plant run by water – a resource abundant in Shangla.

“My small micro hydel power station can generate enough power to light an energy saver and several LEDs,” claimed Iqbal. With no electricity from the Water and Power Development Authority (Wapda) in most areas, locals from various villages have set up similar plants to tend to their needs.

About his next venture, Iqbal says he plans to a make a fully functional model of a helicopter. “My ongoing project is to make a helicopter, work on which has started and will soon be completed.”

One of Iqbal’s teachers, Mohammad Zada, said he has a sharp mind, but takes more interest in practical work than theories. He added Iqbal used to repair household appliances for people in the neighbourhood.

However, Iqbal knows he will not be able to go very far without formal education and acknowledges the need to hone his skills in an academic environment. “We have no college or skill developing centres here as it is a backward area. I appeal to the government to get me admitted in a good engineering college so I can develop my skills and serve my country.”

Behruddin, an MHP expert, also praised Iqbal’s skills of making machines. “He has made his small power plant in a very skilful way, replicating water-mill technology which can even generate electricity. His use of hydraulics in the excavator is a landmark for a young boy of his age,” he said, adding such genius students should be encouraged by the government.

However, Iqbal’s talent is not completely unnoticed. He has received various awards and compliments at school and by villagers.

“Many people come to our village to see Iqbal’s machines. They get amused and give him prizes,” said a local about the attention he is drawing. The villager added people often call him a ‘genius’ and say Iqbal can build a model of anything he comes across.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom