Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Unisex dormitories in Norwegian army help prevent sexual harassment
9h_00027496.jpg

Photo: EPA

The Norwegian Army has introduced unisex dormitories, which means that now women soldiers have started to share unisex bedrooms with their male colleagues in a bold, or as it may seem to some people, dangerous experiment. What has come as a result is the fact that a decrease in sexual harassment was registered as soon as the experiment started, as women reported.

A military base in northern Norway was equipped with new unisex dormitories, with each room putting two women with four men.

According to Ulla-Britt Lilleaas, the co-author of the report "The Army: the vanguard, rear guard and battlefield of equality", the women reported that sharing bedrooms with their male colleagues helped them feel "one of the boys".

One woman soldier was surprised to see that rather than accentuate gender differences, sharing a room helped make them less relevant.

This move is the latest initiative coming from the Norwegian Armed Forces. In November the Norwegian Army announced that Norway's Armed Forces would "serve soldiers vegetarian-only food one day a week in an effort to combat climate change". In August the country unveiled a new initiative saying that male recruits "would be permitted to grow their hair long, so long as they kept it in pony –tails or braids, as is required for female recruits.

Comparing the unisex camp with a training centre for the Royal Norwegian Navy, where women and men have separate rooms, Lilleaas' co-author Dag Ellingsen said though the problem with girls' rooms is that in some cases they are characterized by conflicts and cliques.

@Dem!god @DRAY @chak de INDIA @Indischer @Parul @illusion8 @Reviewer21 @OrionHunter

I was a little taken aback at the this decision first and then I thought why not???
Lady officers face a lot of discrimination in armed forces from soldiers not saluting to not getting same treatment as their male counterparts.
The article says it reduces the discrimination and the cases of harassment.But what about male recruits growing pony tails and introducing vegetarian food once a a week??? :-)
This is a product of some radical thinking!!

If anybody's watched Battlestar Galactica (the TV series) they have something like this there.

I get this feel that one day, human society is going to tend towards that direction.

Unisex dormitories in Norwegian army help prevent sexual harassment
9h_00027496.jpg

Photo: EPA

The Norwegian Army has introduced unisex dormitories, which means that now women soldiers have started to share unisex bedrooms with their male colleagues in a bold, or as it may seem to some people, dangerous experiment. What has come as a result is the fact that a decrease in sexual harassment was registered as soon as the experiment started, as women reported.

A military base in northern Norway was equipped with new unisex dormitories, with each room putting two women with four men.

According to Ulla-Britt Lilleaas, the co-author of the report "The Army: the vanguard, rear guard and battlefield of equality", the women reported that sharing bedrooms with their male colleagues helped them feel "one of the boys".

One woman soldier was surprised to see that rather than accentuate gender differences, sharing a room helped make them less relevant.

This move is the latest initiative coming from the Norwegian Armed Forces. In November the Norwegian Army announced that Norway's Armed Forces would "serve soldiers vegetarian-only food one day a week in an effort to combat climate change". In August the country unveiled a new initiative saying that male recruits "would be permitted to grow their hair long, so long as they kept it in pony –tails or braids, as is required for female recruits.

Comparing the unisex camp with a training centre for the Royal Norwegian Navy, where women and men have separate rooms, Lilleaas' co-author Dag Ellingsen said though the problem with girls' rooms is that in some cases they are characterized by conflicts and cliques.

@Dem!god @DRAY @chak de INDIA @Indischer @Parul @illusion8 @Reviewer21 @OrionHunter

I was a little taken aback at the this decision first and then I thought why not???
Lady officers face a lot of discrimination in armed forces from soldiers not saluting to not getting same treatment as their male counterparts.
The article says it reduces the discrimination and the cases of harassment.But what about male recruits growing pony tails and introducing vegetarian food once a a week??? :-)
This is a product of some radical thinking!!

Seems like a totally different world than the one we exist in South Asia.

Phirst one :D:D:D
Ohh I thought that was possible.After all they all work together.And from what I know JNU was thinking of introducing unisex hostels.:)
And astronauts both men and women share the same space.So i guess its time we thought a little out of the box.

If anybody's watched Battlestar Galactica (the TV series) they have something like this there.

I get this feel that one day, human society is going to tend towards that direction.
Its just a matter of when??

Ohh I thought that was possible.After all they all work together.And from what I know JNU was thinking of introducing unisex hostels.:)
And astronauts both men and women share the same space.So i guess its time we thought a little out of the box.

we still are in a conservative society . . we will be ok until someone related to us won't be into that situation . .

i'm OK with it if i am there but i will never want my Daughter ( if i'll have any :D ) to be a part of it . . . :tup:

thats a general perception among the masses in south asia :coffee:

Why not just remove the actual problem then this?

Why allow women in those jobs where r dominant?

we still are in a conservative society . . we will be ok until someone related to us won't be into that situation . .

i'm OK with it if i am there but i will never want my Daughter ( if i'll have any :D ) to be a part of it . . . :tup:

thats a general perception among the masses in south asia :coffee:

Frankly i think you guys misunderstand yourself or have a wrong concept about this.
I think guys turn more protective about the gals around them.
Wont you be protective about a gal who travels with you in a train,even without having a crush on her??

Last edited:
Frankly i think you guys misunderstand yourself or have a wrong concept about this.
I think guys turn more protective about the gals around them.
Wont you be protective about a gal who travels with you on a train,even without having a crush on her??

Is true it becomes responsibility some times ..... I like the idea of Unisex dormitories , But in India I think people will object to this idea ..... All we got in WIPRO is dormitories separate for men ..... That too we have to reserve before ...... :)

Travelling with Ladies is a good time pass for sure ..... :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom