What's new

UN: Pakistan Judges Pressured To Use Blasphemy Law

RayKalm

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
SLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) — Pakistani judges are often pressured to convict people accused under the country's blasphemy laws that call for the death penalty for anyone insulting Islam, a special U.N. representative said Tuesday.

Gabriela Knaul, the U.N.'s Special Rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers, told a news conference that lawyers are also reluctant to defend clients accused under the blasphemy laws because of intimidation.

Pakistan's blasphemy laws call for the death penalty for anyone insulting Islam, its holy book or the Prophet Muhammad. Pakistani Christians live in fear of being arrested under the laws, which critics say are often misused to settle personal scores or family feuds.

"I am especially concerned regarding cases brought under the so-called blasphemy law as it was reported to me that judges have been coerced to decide against the accused even without supporting evidence," Knaul said.

"They are afraid of reprisals by local communities because of their interpretation of the law," she added.

Lawyers who represent people accused in such cases are often targeted and not able to properly represent their clients, she said.

Last year, two prominent Pakistani political figures who spoke out against the blasphemy laws were killed in attacks that raised concerns about the rise of religious extremism in Pakistan.

Liberal politician Salman Taseer was shot and killed by one of his own guards in January 2011, and in March 2011, militants gunned down Shahbaz Bhatti, the only Christian minister in Pakistan's Cabinet.

UN: Pakistan Judges Pressured To Use Blasphemy Law : NPR

I've already suggested that secularism is the only way forward for pakistan. Islam and secularism does not necessarily conflict anywhere.

This so-called blasphemy law is laughable and silly at best. Technically, I can convict my fellow Christian just for denying our Prophet (that's blasphemy, right?). So, the existence of this law negates freedom of religion itself.

The Islamic seculrism is a differnt form, of living way of life, its full freedom with few basic limits.the westrn seculrism, is a same ,way of living lives, in which you can , put a animal(monkey) with training, in a circus show?
Better to get, basic knoWledge before, commenting, on these vast , subjects.

An Islam that uses force and coercion and violence cannot be and is not, Islam -- Islam is a free, voluntary and conscious choice -- and laws that are abused to silence or suppress people are by definition, suspect.
What will you do to change things, muse?

Pakistan needs to revamp all these so-called "Blasphemy Laws". Pakistani Constitution gaurantees life and liberty of every Pakistani. The Blasphemy laws should be designed punish the most outrageous and egregious cases like Salman Rushdie type troublemaker. This may involve only large scale disrespect through print or video media. I think the laws in there present form are being abused and used to restrict individual freedoms.

An Islam that uses force and coercion and violence cannot be and is not, Islam -- Islam is a free, voluntary and conscious choice -- and laws that are abused to silence or suppress people are by definition, suspect.
Tell that to the Saudi Clerics. :rofl:

I've already suggested that secularism is the only way forward for pakistan. Islam and secularism does not necessarily conflict anywhere.

This so-called blasphemy law is laughable and silly at best. Technically, I can convict my fellow Christian just for denying our Prophet (that's blasphemy, right?). So, the existence of this law negates freedom of religion itself.

secularism for 98 percent muslim majority country?
you need to have your head checked.:agree:

Secularism is the kufr and a failed concept and nothing else Islam is the only way forward not only for Pakistan but for the whole world and judges are not forced if a case is registered under Blashmey Law than they have to judge according to the same law

Mr Islam orders to uses force on many occasions that too is part of Islam if you are ashamed of being a Muslim or Islam that is another issue but don't try to hide order of Islam from the world that will never ever work Mr

Mr Islam orders to uses force on many occasions that too is part of Islam if you are ashamed of being a Muslim or Islam that is another issue but don't try to hide order of Islam from the world that will never ever work Mr

Hahahaha... And I am sure you claim to be 'more' Muslim than anyone else..don't you?

Where does Islam say to beat a person to death if he is Non-Muslim, outside war?

And what if Islam itself is being cornered into lashing out and being perpetrated by the West as an active enemy?

Tis only fair to be curious about the other end of the spectrum.

PS# Cheers on your comeback.We have missed you.

Where does Islam say to beat a person to death if he is Non-Muslim, outside war?
No it doesn't say that but if he insults HAZRAT MUHAMMAD SAW or Islam than he will face this punishment other wise no innocent Non Muslim can be harmed

Back
Top Bottom