What's new

UK's 3rd Astute-class Sub Begins Sea Trials

Blue Marlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
635750697100521887-Astute2-exits-BAE-081215.jpg

HMS Artful, the third of seven new nuclear attack submarines destined for the Royal Navy, has started sea trials, the boat's builder, BAE Systems Submarines, said on Aug 13.

The Astute-class submarine emerged from the dock at BAE’s Barrow-in-Furness yard for its first sea trials ahead of joining sister boats Astute and Ambush, already in service with the Royal Navy. Subject to the outcome of the trials, the Artful, which cost more than £1 billion (US $1.56 billion), is expected to be commissioned around the end of the year.

Armed with Tomahawk land attack missiles and Spearfish torpedoes, the 7,400-ton Astute-class subs are replacing Swiftsure- and Trafalgar-class boats in Royal Navy service. The four remaining boats in the expected seven-strong fleet are in various stages of construction.

HMS Audacious is the next submarine set to be completed at the BAE yard, which is also gearing up to build Britain’s next generation of ballistic missile submarines, with the first metal cut planned for 2016. BAE expects to launch Audacious in the fourth quarter of 2016 and the submarine is scheduled to exit the yard the following year.

The sea trials of Artful follow the report by the government's Major Project Authority (MPA) that it had issued an amber/red warning following higher than expected spending on the Astute program. Such a warning defines a program as requiring urgent action to avert derailment.

BAE and the Ministry of Defence have responded to the shortcomings with a number of improvement initiatives aimed at addressing the major risks.

"Submarine build programs are extremely complex and significant steps have been taken to address the issues raised by the MPA," an MoD spokesperson said. "The Astute program is progressing to deliver world-class submarines with the third of seven planned to enter service with the Royal Navy towards the end of the year.”

The government set up the Major Project Authority in 2011 to scrutinize progress on major capital programs across all departments. It reported in June that spending on the Astute program for 2014 was £87.5 million higher than the planned £558 million.

The build program, which early in the contract suffered cost overruns and delays, remains on schedule

Responding to a report in a national newspaper today pointing up the overspend, BAE defended the program.

It said in a statement: “To design and build a nuclear-powered submarine is one of the most complex engineering projects in the world, and BAE Systems works closely with the MoD to develop a sustainable submarine enterprise.

“Artful set sail today to begin sea trials having been launched in a significantly better, more mature, material state than her predecessors. This is the third of seven highly capable submarines delivered to the Royal Navy, and the improvements made on Artful will be embedded on the remaining submarines in the class,” it said.

View attachment 246615
HMS Artful, the third of seven new nuclear attack submarines destined for the Royal Navy, has started sea trials, the boat's builder, BAE Systems Submarines, said on Aug 13.

The Astute-class submarine emerged from the dock at BAE’s Barrow-in-Furness yard for its first sea trials ahead of joining sister boats Astute and Ambush, already in service with the Royal Navy. Subject to the outcome of the trials, the Artful, which cost more than £1 billion (US $1.56 billion), is expected to be commissioned around the end of the year.

Armed with Tomahawk land attack missiles and Spearfish torpedoes, the 7,400-ton Astute-class subs are replacing Swiftsure- and Trafalgar-class boats in Royal Navy service. The four remaining boats in the expected seven-strong fleet are in various stages of construction.

HMS Audacious is the next submarine set to be completed at the BAE yard, which is also gearing up to build Britain’s next generation of ballistic missile submarines, with the first metal cut planned for 2016. BAE expects to launch Audacious in the fourth quarter of 2016 and the submarine is scheduled to exit the yard the following year.

The sea trials of Artful follow the report by the government's Major Project Authority (MPA) that it had issued an amber/red warning following higher than expected spending on the Astute program. Such a warning defines a program as requiring urgent action to avert derailment.

BAE and the Ministry of Defence have responded to the shortcomings with a number of improvement initiatives aimed at addressing the major risks.

"Submarine build programs are extremely complex and significant steps have been taken to address the issues raised by the MPA," an MoD spokesperson said. "The Astute program is progressing to deliver world-class submarines with the third of seven planned to enter service with the Royal Navy towards the end of the year.”

The government set up the Major Project Authority in 2011 to scrutinize progress on major capital programs across all departments. It reported in June that spending on the Astute program for 2014 was £87.5 million higher than the planned £558 million.

The build program, which early in the contract suffered cost overruns and delays, remains on schedule

Responding to a report in a national newspaper today pointing up the overspend, BAE defended the program.

It said in a statement: “To design and build a nuclear-powered submarine is one of the most complex engineering projects in the world, and BAE Systems works closely with the MoD to develop a sustainable submarine enterprise.

“Artful set sail today to begin sea trials having been launched in a significantly better, more mature, material state than her predecessors. This is the third of seven highly capable submarines delivered to the Royal Navy, and the improvements made on Artful will be embedded on the remaining submarines in the class,” it said.
This Sub is total beast and quite different shape

This Sub is total beast and quite different shape
this thing will make the Virginia class sub look like cr*p. this the worlds best sub. nothing is superior. except for the vanguard replacement which is going to be based on the astute

this thing will make the Virginia class sub look like cr*p. this the worlds best sub. nothing is superior. except for the vanguard replacement which is going to be based on the astute

Not really.

The Astute comes close to but not quite as good as Virginia.

Remember BAE Systems needed US help when they ran into technical problems
with the Astute development.

I would say that when it comes to SSNs:

1. US
2. UK and Russia
3. France
4. China > although their technology is improving faster than anyone else's.

Not really.

The Astute comes close to but not quite as good as Virginia.

Remember BAE Systems needed US help when they ran into technical problems
with the Astute development.

I would say that when it comes to SSNs:

1. US
2. UK and Russia
3. France
4. China > although their technology is improving faster than anyone else's.
during 2012 hms astute as under simulated battles with the latest Virginia class sub uss new Mexico. quote ,Royal Navy Commander Iain Breckenridge was quoted saying: “Our sonar is fantastic and I have never before experienced holding a submarine at the range we were holding USS New Mexico. The Americans were utterly taken aback, blown away with what they were seeing." the acoustic tiles help the sub be quieter than a dolphin.

the order of which country builds the best ssn is
1. uk/us
2. france/russia
3 china -catching up

during 2012 hms astute as under simulated battles with the latest Virginia class sub uss new Mexico. quote ,Royal Navy Commander Iain Breckenridge was quoted saying: “Our sonar is fantastic and I have never before experienced holding a submarine at the range we were holding USS New Mexico. The Americans were utterly taken aback, blown away with what they were seeing." the acoustic tiles help the sub be quieter than a dolphin.

1. uk/us
2. france/russia
3 china -catching up

OK. Let us agree to disagree.

1. uk/us
2. france/russia
3 china -catching up

Can't wait to see all 8 of our deadly astute nuclear subs operational together with our huge two queen elizabeth class carriers. The Royal navy arises again.:yahoo:

Dont mind some members here bro. Many of them dont know that most of the things we set ourselves on doing, we do it as good as/at par with the U.S , in some cases maybe even better. :p:
Thats why it makes me laugh when i see some of them who cant evem make what we do(or as good as we do) belittle us and think they are better. :lol: we just need to laugh it off, as dont have time/cant be bothered to be posting all our achievements on here to boast and brag day and night on PDF. :lol:Just let them carry on .:enjoy:

Can't wait to see all 8 of our deadly astute nuclear subs operational together with our huge two queen elizabeth class carriers. The Royal navy arises again.:yahoo:

Dont mind some members here bro. Many of them dont know that most of the things we set ourselves on doing, we do it as good as/at par with the U.S , in some cases maybe even better. :p:
Thats why it makes me laugh when i see some of them who cant evem make what we do(or as good as we do) belittle us and think they are better. :lol: we just need to laugh it off, as dont have time/cant be bothered to be posting all our achievements on here to boast and brag day and night on PDF. :lol:Just let them carry on .:enjoy:
well said bro :-):tup::enjoy:

Once the carrier comes and all of these subs we will once again have one of the best navies in the world

Beautiful sub..... All power to RN.

I wonder what corbyns view is on this.... He already said he will get rid of trident....

I like his policies except when it comes to defence...... Britains independent deterrence is good for the country and the world as far as I am concerned

Beautiful sub..... All power to RN.

I wonder what corbyns view is on this.... He already said he will get rid of trident....

I like his policies except when it comes to defence...... Britains independent deterrence is good for the country and the world as far as I am concerned

I also like most of the policies of people like Corbyn, apart from his stance on defence.

Instead of decreasing the amount that the UK spends on defence it should actually be increasing it - going up to 3% of GDP from the current 2% would be a good idea as it would allow the UK to both be able to keep up with all military technologies and create a RN powerful enough that would make any adversaries take it very seriously.

UK must have a powerful Navy if it is to secure it's interests over the course of this century - and I don't mean buddying with the US to bully defenceless 3rd world countries like it has been doing over the last few decades.

The Astute looks like a black, sleek, shark. Just an incredible machine.

Rule Britannia!

Royal%2BNavy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom