What's new

U.S. Navy-China showdown: Chinese try to halt U.S. cruiser in international waters

its all propaganda ,US are very good at playing this game,china has to be carefull,not to fall in the trap.

Well don't know which version of event to believe. The Washington Time which is right wing or CNN which is US Government Propaganda outlet, reported the incident differently.

But whichever actually did happen, the Chinese did "thumb your nose", "get your attention", "show you up", "flip you off", "draw the line" to the US.

According to the CNN U.S., Chinese warships come dangerously close - CNN.com

excerpt...

Several U.S. military officials confirmed details of the incident on the high seas involving the USS Cowpens, which has just come to light.

The American warship -- which U.S. officials say was in international waters -- was approached by a Chinese Navy ship. The smaller vessel peeled off from a group of Chinese Navy ships that included the carrier Liaoning.

The Chinese ship failed to stop, despite radio warning from the Cowpens that it was getting too close.

The Cowpens commanding officer then issued orders for an "all stop" when the other ship was less than 500 yards off its bow, a U.S. Navy official said.

The Chinese ship proceeded past the Cowpens.

"It is unusual to have to take evasive action at sea to avoid a collision," the official added.

While naval vessels from different countries often come close as they observe each other, the United States sees this case as one that could have led to a collision because of the time and distance it takes for an American warship to stop.

"The Chinese knew what they were doing," a second U.S. military official said.

During the encounter, bridge-to-bridge radio communications were maintained between the American and Chinese commanders.

"Communications were professional," the second official said.

Though the United States will not acknowledge it openly, the Cowpens was in position to conduct surveillance on the Liaoning, which would be a sensitive matter for the Chinese.

U.S. officials insist the Cowpens remained in international waters at all times.

You cannot ask or block any ship (ANY SHIP) in international shipping lane at all, that is part of Law of the Sea at Freedom of Navigation.

Regardless of what the USS Cowpens were doing at that time, the ship have the right of its course and any warship that's going too close are very dangerous, ships is not like a car at all, you cannot cut the engine and expect the ship to stop immediately.

It's just like a car cut another car off in the middle of a highway doing 140mph, If they were to collided bewteen each other, it would be like those 2 cars crashed in the highway, the Chinese will need to pay for the damage done to the American Ship or any sailor that was injury or even killed.

PLAN is playing a dangerous game as far as i see, becuase if they did that last week, next week we will sail not only with the Cowpens, but the whole fleet. It's just like a man try to kill a copper in Harlem, and the next day will be cops all over the 'hood

There are many other way to show the PLANS have guts to go against the USN, this is just dumb and stupid, and this show nothing but bad seamanship.

PLA won't allow US navy to do close up investigation wantonly any more. Good day is over!

The US navy destroyer is very much in the range of our Cruise missle, who will take it as seriously. China is not easy push around like India.

You cannot ask or block any ship (ANY SHIP) in international shipping lane at all, that is part of Law of the Sea at Freedom of Navigation.

Regardless of what the USS Cowpens were doing at that time, the ship have the right of its course and any warship that's going too close are very dangerous, ships is not like a car at all, you cannot cut the engine and expect the ship to stop immediately.

It's just like a car cut another car off in the middle of a highway doing 140mph, If they were to collided bewteen each other, it would be like those 2 cars crashed in the highway, the Chinese will need to pay for the damage done to the American Ship or any sailor that was injury or even killed.

PLAN is playing a dangerous game as far as i see, becuase if they did that last week, next week we will sail not only with the Cowpens, but the whole fleet. It's just like a man try to kill a copper in Harlem, and the next day will be cops all over the 'hood

There are many other way to show the PLANS have guts to go against the USN, this is just dumb and stupid, and this show nothing but bad seamanship.
Those so called international law is only applied to the weak, China will do everything to ensure its national security. Who cares those law? China could pose any gesture we want in the open sea to serve its right. Only power speaks in this jungle world. Get a life anywhere, you can't live a day without Chinese products.

Last edited:
You can't even contest our guys in tents, and our military power at this moment in time is relatively similar, at least the difference isn't a Chinese US difference.

We took on a Burke class destroyer head first.
images

PLA won't allow US navy to do close up investigation wantonly any more. Good day is over!

The US navy destroyer is very much in the range of our Cruise missle, who will take it as seriously. China is not easy push around like India.

Those so called international law is only applied to the weak, China will do everything to ensure its national security. Who cares those law? China could pose any gesture we want in the open sea to serve its right. Only power speaks in this jungle world. Get a life anywhere, you can't live a day without Chinese products.

lol this kind of thinking and you ask why other people gang up on China and why everyone sees China as their enemy.

In deed, China is big, but NOT THAT BIG. By the way, i can survive a year in the desert without ANYTHING but MREs, Water and my M4 (All of which were not made in China), I once have my electricity turned off for 6 months in Australia just becasue someone bet i cannot live without electricity. don't underestimate me for i cannot live a day without Chinese Product.

Is it the muscle memory that you typed in India there.start reading your posts before you post,so that you can avoid those.

Chickens, chickens, chickens. The PLN is a "paper tiger".
Loo at those countries you engaged with: Iraq, Lybia, Afganistan. shame on you. Next time try to find a better opponent instead of those push around. China don't buy you so called zero casaulty, you got long way to go defeating CHina.

lol this kind of thinking and you ask why other people gang up on China and why everyone sees China as their enemy.

In deed, China is big, but NOT THAT BIG. By the way, i can survive a year in the desert without ANYTHING but MREs, Water and my M4 (All of which were not made in China), I once have my electricity turned off for 6 months in Australia just becasue someone bet i cannot live without electricity. don't underestimate me for i cannot live a day without Chinese Product.
The fact is that you live in hell. One on one i can deal you with my fist, try some Chinese Kongfu?

Mao Ze Dong said: US is paper tiger.

Is it the muscle memory that you typed in India there.start reading your posts before you post,so that you can avoid those.
Don't bootlick American a$$, it only downgrade yourself. We play, you sit.

Chickens, chickens, chickens. The PLN is a "paper tiger".
Is that all you get as a think tank? Next time try harder. We have lots of Chichen in China's KFC, we deal with American chichen everyday in large numbers.

wanna rule the world? step over China at first.

China shall closely colloborate with Russia to contain USA's bully around the world. You will see a different story in the next 10 years. No matter how hard the western try to devastate China, we are still here and will be there until you admit your failure.

Last edited:
USA pay each soldier 54000 bucks to kill people in the world every year, you won't sleep tight with those dirty money at night after retirement.

China will keep a close eye on each move of the US army to ensure our national security.

The US is in an advanced state of voyeurism。:D

Perhaps other nations should follow the US‘ step and start peeping into the backyards of their potential or real enemies。

In this regard,China can begin with Guam and Hawaii in the Pacific and the Bay of Bengal in Indian Ocean。

Or better still,follow where the US CBG goes. Shadowing in international waters violates no laws and therefore is totally and utterly acceptable to the law-abiding US.

Don't bootlick American a$$, it only downgrade yourself. We play, you sit.

Dude since you are one of the sane chinese here ,i will try once again, why do you have to bring India in this thread when its not required.

If this is reversed. Let's say a PLAN destroyer is tailing closely to an USN CVBG 100 nm away from (forget about mainland USA) the coast of Hawaii, don't tell me that no measure will be taken by the USN.

The US is in an advanced state of voyeurism。:D

Perhaps other nations should follow the US‘ step and start peeping into the backyards of their potential or real enemies。

In this regard,China can begin with Guam and Hawaii in the Pacific and the Bay of Bengal in Indian Ocean。

Or better still,follow where the US CBG goes. Shadowing in international waters violates no laws and therefore is totally and utterly acceptable to the law-abiding US.
:rofl: what are you going "begin" in the bay of bengal? swimming lessons?

If this is reversed. Let's say a PLAN destroyer is tailing closely to an USN CVBG 100 nm away from (forget about mainland USA) the coast of Hawaii, don't tell me that no measure will be taken by the USN.

The problem is, will the reverse happened AT ALL??

Both US Air Force and USN intercept Soviet Fighter and Ship in their Air space and EEZ for ages, and NONE of them have any serious accident in peace time.

We do intercept and interdict unknown bogey and unknow target at sea, be that smuggler or boat carry illegal immigrant. We have never had or have near accident with it.

On the other hand, China intercept US Ship and Air Force and already a few accident happened (3 i can count of), do you forgot about Hainan Incident?? And the Chinese trying to pin the collision to a slower moving 4 engine prop planes RAMMING a jet plane....

It's not about what they do, it's about how they do it. You can of course intercept or shadow any shipping, freedom of navigation does not only apply to US ship, but do you need to be shadow this close?? You said 100 nm but do you know how far the 2 ship is at that point?? I mean 500 yards (or 427 meters) may seems a long distance. but for ship that's going 35 knots, this is the MINIMAL STOPPING DISTANCE as ship don't have brakes. It will keep at speed after you cut the engine until all potential energy have bleed out.

This is dangerous and stupid and not a very good practice of seamenship if you ask any naval captain. Again. we are not talking about 100 nautical mile away, but merely 400 something meter away.

To answer your question, the US Navy have a minimal distance on tailing and trailing a subject, in a good day the distance are within visual range. US Navy will tail any Chinese Ship, you are right, but US Navy will do so in a safe and professional fashion. Not cutting someone across bow 500 yards aways.

The problem is, will the reverse happened AT ALL??

Both US Air Force and USN intercept Soviet Fighter and Ship in their Air space and EEZ for ages, and NONE of them have any serious accident in peace time.

We do intercept and interdict unknown bogey and unknow target at sea, be that smuggler or boat carry illegal immigrant. We have never had or have near accident with it.

On the other hand, China intercept US Ship and Air Force and already a few accident happened (3 i can count of), do you forgot about Hainan Incident?? And the Chinese trying to pin the collision to a slower moving 4 engine prop planes RAMMING a jet plane....

It's not about what they do, it's about how they do it. You can of course intercept or shadow any shipping, freedom of navigation does not only apply to US ship, but do you need to be shadow this close?? You said 100 nm but do you know how far the 2 ship is at that point?? I mean 500 yards (or 427 meters) may seems a long distance. but for ship that's going 35 knots, this is the MINIMAL STOPPING DISTANCE as ship don't have brakes. It will keep at speed after you cut the engine until all potential energy have bleed out.

This is dangerous and stupid and not a very good practice of seamenship if you ask any naval captain. Again. we are not talking about 100 nautical mile away, but merely 400 something meter away.

To answer your question, the US Navy have a minimal distance on tailing and trailing a subject, in a good day the distance are within visual range. US Navy will tail any Chinese Ship, you are right, but US Navy will do so in a safe and professional fashion. Not cutting someone across bow 500 yards aways.
As you said yourself, it take quite distance for a ship to stop. It is not like the PLAN LST magically appeared and stopped right in front of it, the US ship knows where the LST was heading and did not change course or take any action until the LST stopped in front of it. This game of Chicken has been played for a long time between USN and USSR's, mainly with submarines, and don't tell me there was no serious incident either. Here I am not saying that USN did anythng wrong, but so did PLAN. You can blame someone being rude when you are spying someone's property right in front someone else's door steps with let's call it an unfriendly intention.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom