What's new

U.S., India to sign $8 bln defence deals: envoy

Jade

Reaction score
Country
India
(Reuters) - U.S. companies are poised to sign defence deals totalling $8 billion with India, U.S. Ambassador Nancy Powell said on Friday at her first public speech since arriving in New Delhi this month.

Powell did not specify which companies she was talking about or when the deals would be signed, but embassy officials said she was referring to negotiations that include about a dozen Apache helicopters along with engines for Indian jets.

"We are poised to sign an additional $8 billion in direct commercial and foreign military sales," Powell said. "As we share more common equipment, our bilateral defence ties will become stronger."

India is the world's largest arms importer and plans to spend close to about $100 billion over the next 10 years to upgrade its largely Soviet-era equipment.

U.S. companies including Boeing Co, Lockheed Martin Corp and Raytheon Co are some of the contractors looking to grab a share of India's planned military spending.

Industrial conglomerate Honeywell International Inc. is offering engines for the Indian Airforce's Jaguar fighter aircraft.

Powell said improving bilateral trade and investment was her main objective as ambassador, mentioning U.S. concerns about tariff and non-tariff barriers and a new retroactive tax law as obstacles in the relationship

U.S., India to sign $8 bln defence deals: envoy | Reuters

I am against this deal!!!!

i don t like india's defence business with US.....they came with lot of strings...even the INS jalashwa are not allowed to execute offensive operation.::hitwall:

i wonder why the heck we even bought that LPD.:hitwall:

I am against this deal!!!!

i don t like india's defence business with US.....they came with lot of strings...even the INS jalashwa are not allowed to execute offensive operation.::hitwall:

i wonder why the heck we even bought that LPD.:hitwall:
In case of war there is no restrictions :D what can USA do if we use it in war ??? Attack it ??? Just protest and future ban on sells to India.
Those Appache block-3 are one of the most powerful machines on earth now. So I liked this deal.
Standard procedure: in case of war no country give dam to restriction on anything :D

For people who are worried about sanctions, deals with US has many added advantage.
Current example u saw when India did ICBM test... no one said anything against India, cause US defended India saying "India has good record or something..."

What kind of weapons is India acquiring in this defense deal?

I don't think Russia will be too happy about this.

When someone have money he goes to McDonald's or Subway or KFC or Pizza Hut.

But McDonald's don't get offended because of Subway.

India-Russia relationship are very strong and deeper then ocean, higher then mountain and sweeter then honey.
:D

Some Boeing civil planes n Apache n Chinook...Extra P-8 might be included...

good for you guys! But i think its a wrong policy by both India and Pakistan to waste money on importing foreign equipment. Both countries should focus to strengthening their own defence industries rather than importing stuff. Unless the deals involve full ToT, than its a very good investment

Ambassador Nancy Powell

Ambassador ji aate hi deal sheal suru kar diya.
Last ambassador ko kyun nikala ye is ambassador ko acche se pata hai, isliya turant kaam pe laga gaya, ha ha

When someone have money he goes to McDonald's or Subway or KFC or Pizza Hut.

But McDonald's don't get offended because of Subway.

India-Russia relationship are very strong and deeper then ocean, higher then mountain and sweeter then honey.
:D

I hope when someone has money they go to a proper restaurant. :D

$8 bn is pretty conservative. The deals are:

$4.1 BN for 10 C-17s (follow on for 6 and later 4-8 more likely)
$3 BN for 12 P-8I (order to be doubled after first unit is delivered later this year)
$1 BN for follow on order of C-130J-30 for Spec Ops (order liekly to increase many fold though beyond sepc ops versions)
$1 BN for 22 Apach AH-64D Blk.IIIs (order to go upto 80 units for sure)
$1 BN for 15 CH-47F helos (likely to be doubled)
other miscellaneous equipment for units like SOFs.

but since a few of these have already been part paid for the $8 BN figure seems about right for 2012-13.

And I think the Russians won't mind too much, they already have an order book from India worth ~$50 BN.

There is no clause in India Russia friendship that India will only buy from Russia not from US and Russia will only sell to India not to China:smokin:

good for you guys! But i think its a wrong policy by both India and Pakistan to waste money on importing foreign equipment. Both countries should focus to strengthening their own defence industries rather than importing stuff. Unless the deals involve full ToT, than its a very good investment

India does most of the deal with TOT....

$8 bn is pretty conservative. The deals are:

$4.1 BN for 10 C-17s (follow on for 6 and later 4-8 more likely)
$3 BN for 12 P-8I (order to be doubled after first unit is delivered later this year)
$1 BN for follow on order of C-130J-30 for Spec Ops (order liekly to increase many fold though beyond sepc ops versions)
$1 BN for 22 Apach AH-64D Blk.IIIs (order to go upto 80 units for sure)
$1 BN for 15 CH-47F helos (likely to be doubled)
other miscellaneous equipment for units like SOFs.

but since a few of these have already been part paid for the $8 BN figure seems about right for 2012-13.

And I think the Russians won't mind too much, they already have an order book from India worth ~$50 BN.

The C-17, and C-130J are mostly for transport so its not that much of a big threat for Pakistan.

The P-8I will added more firepower to the Indian Navy but again our Navy is defensive in nature and not offensive.

The biggest headache for Pakistan will be the 80 Apache Gunships. That is a game changer on any battlefield.

I wonder what Pakistan will do in regards to this. Pakistan's own attack Helicopters are 40 years old and needs a new fleet of Attack helicopters.

Almost $50 million per Apache. Crazy, but not my money so good going USA.

Back
Top Bottom