What's new

U.S. bristles at stiff Pakistani NATO fees

Here is a little lesson on US bartering, or white man's bartering and psychology. Never settle on the first price.
If Pakistan went asking for 300 USD per container the US would refuse that, too calling it steep and mentioning their dire economical situation.

On paper 5,000 USD sounds a lot but not as much as what they're paying through alternate routes. You want to barter with the white man you send in people who know the art of squeezing water out of a rock. Zardari currently fits that bill pretty well.

lol. Zardari will rob them blind.

Here is a little lesson on US bartering, or white man's bartering and psychology. Never settle on the first price.
If Pakistan went asking for 300 USD per container the US would refuse that, too calling it steep and mentioning their dire economical situation.

On paper 5,000 USD sounds a lot but not as much as what they're paying through alternate routes. You want to barter with the white man you send in people who know the art of squeezing water out of a rock. Zardari currently fits that bill pretty well.

Let's stop addressing them as white man, we're not ancient tribal folk.

lol. Zardari will rob them blind.

We won't see a penny of it. Normally they want to give people like Zardari money to rule over us, its just that hes asking more than they were ready to part with.

Let's stop addressing them as white man, we're not ancient tribal folk.

We won't see a penny of it. Normally they want to give people like Zardari money to rule over us, its just that hes asking more than they were ready to part with.

You can also call them WASPS or YANKS.

Since we are going to be polite, we can't.

Fair enough. I believe Pakistan should now say 7000 for each truck. Pakistanis are the best hagglers in the world.

7000 or walk away. I believe we have been more than fair already.

CHICAGO: The US commander in Afghanistan told Reuters he would not be disappointed if a long-sought agreement with Pakistan on supply routes failed to materialize by the end of the Nato summit in Chicago on Monday.

General John Allen, who is also the International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) commander, said in an interview he was confident a deal would eventually be struck but "whether it's in days or weeks, I don't know."

Many Obama administration officials had hoped for an agreement with Islamabad in time for the Sunday-Monday summit that would end a nearly six-month ban prohibiting trucks in Pakistan from carrying supplies to Nato forces in neighboring Afghanistan.

Islamabad cut off the ground supply routes after a Nato air strike in November killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, causing a rift with the United States and forcing Nato commanders to look to alternative, most costly routes to supply the war effort.

Asked if he would be disappointed if Pakistan - whose president will attend the summit - didn't strike an agreement before the end of the Chicago talks, Allen said: "No."

"I don't need the (ground supply lines) to be open to support the campaign. But they're helpful to us in sending home our equipment," Allen said.

"We don't want an agreement fast, we want an agreement that's right. So we're going to take the time to get it right."

Bartering 101: downplay the importance of other party's goods. Appear as if you don't require them and what's being offered is of minimum quality.
Like I said US has this art mastered.

Bartering 101: downplay the importance of other party's goods. Appear as if you don't require them and what's being offered is of minimum quality.
Like I said US has this art mastered.

That's why Pakistan needs to hold it's ground and be ready to walk away when the time comes.

They want to kill our soldiers, and also want their nappies.

On top of that, they want their goods for highway robbery. Think about the expenses for security, fuel, ect.

If they really don't need their supplies, then they wouldn't have been begging for months in the first place.

Also to add to what I wrote, the second their trucks come rolling into the green zone, Pakistan will be blessed with a whole new campaign of drone strikes. Giving them cheap transit fees only to get spit on your face.

Perhaps for the first time Zardari's greed can be advantageous for the country.

Zardari met Clinton yesterday, looks like no conclusion or progress made.

Hmmm I think the results will take a month, possibly even two.

It might hasten if the US president apologizes, since the naysayers in Pakistan will pick up the pace as well but if he apologizes, PPP will milk it. Most Pakistanis still don't want to give them the route after the apology, but there's an opening if he apologizes.

As long as negotiations proceed, the deal will take shape eventually; there is no rush. Of course, I still see no likelihood of a Presidential apology, but may be Pakistan will play its hand so well, he will be forced to.

As long as negotiations proceed, the deal will take shape eventually; there is no rush. Of course, I still see no likelihood of a Presidential apology, but may be Pakistan will play its hand so well, he will be forced to.
If US Presidential elections are really the only thing holding back an apology for the murder of 24 Pakistani troops, then perhaps the US and Pakistan should quietly agree to revisit the issue of apology and supply lines after the Presidential Election ...

If US Presidential elections are really the only thing holding back an apology for the murder of 24 Pakistani troops, then perhaps the US and Pakistan should quietly agree to revisit the issue of apology and supply lines after the Presidential Election ...

That probably is a great idea!

Fair enough. I believe Pakistan should now say 7000 for each truck. Pakistanis are the best hagglers in the world.

7000 or walk away. I believe we have been more than fair already.

There's an old rule of bazaar haggling: the first person to quote a number loses.

Since Pakistan capitulated, NATO knows that Pakistan has absolutely no other options: it can offer $500 to Pakistan, take it or leave it.

There's an old rule of bazaar haggling: the first person to quote a number loses.

Since Pakistan capitulated, NATO knows that Pakistan has absolutely no other options: it can offer $500 to Pakistan, take it or leave it.

The final figure, and how long it takes to be decided, would be quite informative as to the relative bargaining positions of each side.

The final figure, and how long it takes to be decided, would be quite informative as to the relative bargaining positions of each side.

I am sure the US/NATO will offer a reasonable figure, not because they have to, but simply as a PR gesture to avoid worsening their image in Pakistan.

What's an extra few hundred million either way in a trillion dollar war, to a group of countries with annual total GDP in the tens of trillions?

This is a suicidal idea. Obama cannot guarantee that he will be re elected. If he does not make it what will happen than? We will end up in the middle of no where.

Back
Top Bottom