What's new

U.S. bristles at stiff Pakistani NATO fees

A 2 hour long mistake/accident!!! ok even if we take it as accident, why they are shying away from an apology??

And if that was intentional, then they need not to apologize. In this case, pakistan must have taken more severe actions than it took.

Election year.

They were ready for an apology early in the year, we told them to wait, Kabul attacks happened, and US ain't gonna give out two apologies in one go.

You have doubts whether this was intentional or not?

A 2 hour long mistake?

I have no doubt that it was an accident, and the time line was adequately explained by the investigative report.

I have no doubt that it was an accident, and the time line was adequately explained by the investigative report.

Well this argument has been done before. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Well this argument has been done before. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Agreed.

Now lets move on to the real topic of this thread: Does any other source corroborate the story that Pakistan has been offered $1500 per container?

It certainly wasn't a mistake as such, they knew who they were firing at.

In fact, initially when I heard of the incident, I thought it was a case of friendly fire, very careless and trigger happy forces across the border must have accidentally taken our troops down or somehow mistook our boys for militants. Perhaps this level of incompetence is possible.

But after watching the news stories, hearing speeches from NATO commanders, official statements from both ours and the other side, I started having doubts. They kept changing their story, I wonder why, while the Pakistani side maintained that it was unprovoked.

Lastly, Pakistani side of the story was the same throughout and in the end made total sense, whereas the other side had multiple stories rather excuses, clear as mud I'd say! and of course the reasoning, the events themselves and the many other parts of the story they gave made no sense, it didn't check out.

regards,

It certainly wasn't a mistake as such, they knew who they were firing at.

Lastly, Pakistani side of the story was the same throughout and in the end made total sense, whereas the other side had multiple stories rather excuses, clear as mud I'd say! and of course the reasoning, the events themselves and the many other parts of the story they gave made no sense, it didn't check out.

regards,

You have your opinion; I have mine. And like I just said:

Agreed.

Now lets move on to the real topic of this thread: Does any other source corroborate the story that Pakistan has been offered $1500 per container?

VC - It may have been "adequately explained" in your opinion - to many of us we beg to differ.

An act that took place after numerous pleading by the Pakistanis wer ignored for almost 3 hours - does that sound like an accident?
It took an intense investigation to establish this "adequately explained accident" - just one small problem. You cant investigate somethng yourself and be the judge and jury when in fact you are in the dock and are the accused.
Come come VC - Lets not forget the Americans were to blame for getting themselves into this mess. They must now suffer the consequences of these stiff demands made by our nation.
The relationship has been soured by the Americans - now pay for it.....

VC - It may have been "adequately explained" in your opinion - to many of us we beg to differ.

The relationship has been soured by the Americans - now pay for it.....

I can accept that a difference of opinion will continue to exist. Others can do the same.

Paying more for the transit fees should go some way in improving the relationship; lets see where the price settles after haggling.

I can accept that a difference of opinion will continue to exist. Others can do the same.

Paying more for the transit fees should go some way in improving the relationship; lets see where the price settles after haggling.

Back to topic is it not brilliant that Pakistan makes American regime bristle

In my opinion the Pakistanis should simply treat it like business and make an agreement for the fees of allowing transport.
To suggest this will "go some way in improving relationship" is a different matter. What you are suggesting is $$ will sooth the recent misdameanors the Americans have been carrying out in our region. It wont. The USA have been playing "dirty game" and sadly the scars are deeper this time - more than you can imagine. Dont forget your prediction in December suggesting the border will be opened in January. It wasnt and surprisingly the Pakistani government have been resiliant on this occassion.

In my opinion the Pakistanis should simply treat it like business and make an agreement for the fees of allowing transport.
To suggest this will "go some way in improving relationship" is a different matter. What you are suggesting is $$ will sooth the recent misdameanors the Americans have been carrying out in our region. It wont. The USA have been playing "dirty game" and sadly the scars are deeper this time - more than you can imagine. Dont forget your prediction in December suggesting the border will be opened in January. It wasnt and surprisingly the Pakistani government have been resiliant on this occassion.

The only problem is that treating this deal as a transaction keeps the relationship as between a seller and a buyer of services; it short changes Pakistan's desire to be treated and accepted as a strategically important nation, preferably on par with India. And that is simply is not possible going forward.

Secondly, I seriously underestimated the shortsightedness of Pakistani policies. A shorter blockage would have driven hone the point while keeping Pakistan's negotiating position just a s strong without painting itself as a problem at best and an adversary at worst.

So now while it may get what it wants in the shorter term, or at least some of what it wants, the longer term repercussions are slowly going to strangle its future.

Back to topic is it not brilliant that Pakistan makes American regime bristle

Depends on whether the objective was to get them to bristle or it was to gain strategic importance.. Because if it was second, Pakistan by now has lost all chances of that..

Agreed.

Where did you hear that figure?

Pakistan wants 5000 while US is not on this.

Back
Top Bottom