What's new

Type 052D DDG News & Discussions

From what I been hearing just having bigger displacement is not a solution. Catapult is needed for J-15, I mean the Americans use it for smaller aircraft.

One carrier per class seems like a waste of money, especially if we take into account the proximity of the launch dates. It be different 10 years apart, but....

80,000 does seem like a good number though, hope it goes nuclear.

We all know that, but you can't expect PLAN to catch up USN immediately in a such short amount of time.

We need to achieve it step by step.

- The Type 001A is now a mature and reliable solution for PLAN, to make sure that we will have a reliable aircraft carrier in 5-6 years.

- The Type 002 is a parallel development of the Type 001A, and it is a generation ahead.

- The Type 003 will be China's aircraft carrier to rival the Gerald Ford class, but it will take a bit longer.

We all know that, but you can't expect PLAN to catch up USN immediately in a such short amount of time.

We need to achieve it step by step.

- The Type 001A is now a mature and reliable solution for PLAN, to make sure that we will have a reliable aircraft carrier in 5-6 years.

- The Type 002 is a parallel development of the Type 001A, and it is a generation ahead.

- The Type 003 will be China's aircraft carrier to rival the Gerald Ford class, but it will take a bit longer.

I'm not saying catch up to America now, but due to our choice of a heavy aircraft, the option of a non-catipult carrier seems useless.

J-15 right now at best is a bomber, with short range, and cannot achieve the full effectiveness of a otherwise great fighter.

but maybe the army has some other plan for these carriers, or information given by some are just about as accurate as my prediction of China making the best 8 in the one time we made it to the world cup.

From what I been hearing just having bigger displacement is not a solution. Catapult is needed for J-15, I mean the Americans use it for smaller aircraft.

One carrier per class seems like a waste of money, especially if we take into account the proximity of the launch dates. It be different 10 years apart, but....

80,000 does seem like a good number though, hope it goes nuclear.

The reason of building only one ac for each class is to accelerate the transformation of ac capabilities while still on early learning curve. Building many ships for 001A class and 002 class will take away funds for subsequent classes, especially 003. Also it shorten the time frame from 001A to 003 because 003 will not have to wait in line for many 001A and 002 to be completed in shipyards.

So why not jump straight to 003 instead? Well, China is a new kid in the block regarding building of aircraft carrier, especially a catapulp equiped ac. You rush hastily you will make some serious mistake. Good examples are the space programe in Shenzhou , Tiangong and Chang'er, these programes are doing very well, same will go with the aircraft carrier programe, go step by step and with large improvement in each step, you will achieve more.

The reason of building only one ac for each class is to accelerate the transformation of ac capabilities while still on early learning curve. Building many ships for 001A class and 002 class will take away funds for subsequent classes, especially 003. Also it shorten the time frame from 001A to 003 because 003 will not have to wait in line for many 001A and 002 to be completed in shipyards.

So why not jump straight to 003 instead? Well, China is a new kid in the block regarding building of aircraft carrier, especially a catapulp equiped ac. You rush hastily you will make some serious mistake. Good examples are the space programe in Shenzhou , Tiangong and Chang'er, these programes are doing very well, same will go with the aircraft carrier programe, go step by step and with large improvement in each step, you will achieve more.

You got it right, the Type 003 will start its construction by 2020, and it is expected to be operational by 2027.

The Type 001A and Type 002 will not be built in large number, but to ensure China will gain more experience in building the aircraft carrier and to fulfill the role before the commission of the Type 003.

Sounds like you are finiancial minister of China, do you know how much we got for currency reserve? China need at least 6 operating CBG to defend its sea land.

Sounds like you are finiancial minister of China, do you know how much we got for currency reserve? China need at least 6 operating CBG to defend its sea land.

His analysis was right, China wants to build the aircraft carrier to match the Gerald Ford class, but to build a bunch of technologically inferior aircraft carriers will be a waste of money.

Thus, we need to achieve it step by step.

Type 001A: An improved version of Liaoning, but there is 10% of chance that this AC will be a Chinese version of the Ulyanovsk class supercarrier.

Type 002: A modernized version of Kitty Hawk, 10% of chance to have EMALS, 5% of chance being a Chinese version of the Nimitz class supercarrier.

Type 003: It is 100% guaranteed to rival of the Gerald Ford class supercarrier.

Last edited:
The charateristic of PLA is they never wanna take any risk in weapon R&D, steady and stable.

Pros and Cons?

Well I am a retired accountant, may be my writing does reflect my former career habit. I am aware of China's currency reserve but operating each CBG is a huge budget commitment. Yes China will need may be 6 CBG but that's for the future, and meanwhile China should build while learning the trade, you just can't rush. China space programme is a good reflection of the government's policy regarding this.

Well I am a retired accountant, may be my writing does reflect my former career habit. I am aware of China's currency reserve but operating each CBG is a huge budget commitment. Yes China will need may be 6 CBG but that's for the future, and meanwhile China should build while learning the trade, you just can't rush. China space programme is a good reflection of the government's policy regarding this.
My friend, you live in Malaysia? Malaysian Indian?

我像印度人吗?那AVATAR是僵尸大战植物人内取出来地. 我祖籍福建泉州东门外仁风街,南迁已近百年了.

Yes, I am Malaysian, but not of Indian origin, I am ethnic Chinese.

我像印度人吗?那AVATAR是僵尸大战植物人内取出来地. 我祖籍福建泉州东门外仁风街,南迁已近百年了.

Yes, I am Malaysian, but not of Indian origin, I am ethnic Chinese.[/quot
我有很多马华朋友,他们人都很NICE.

Last edited:
Your former profession caused me to put a question, to all of navy enthusiasts from US, UK India, China.
The question is: how much on average carrier and super-carrier cost per annum in peacetime. and how much DDG types ships cost?

thanks in advance

The crew complement of DDG 150 “Changchun” is 30 less than DDG 170.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom