What's new

Type 052D DDG News & Discussions

The truth is that no-one really knows on the capabilities of the Type-052D.

You can make a guess as to the level that the Chinese are at least at by the fact that they no longer buy ships from the Russians. If the Type-052C was not at least comparable to Russian ships then they would logically still buy from the Russians.

My guess if that the Type-05D is comparable to the UK Type-045 and the latter variants of the US Arleigh Burke but slightly inferior to them. The reason is that the Chinese had a whole decade to improve on the Type-052C and now have a lot of knowledge on AESA radars.

It makes no sense to say "inferior". A knife can kill, a gun as well, what is inferior to what? It depends on how you use it, under which context, and for what.

We're no longer in Middle ages, no more 1 vs 1 or Knight vs Knight. Translated to our day, no war is carried out by component vs component, but global system vs global system.

We can't say this ship is inferior to an another because one has less VLS, one has a radar with less range...etc. For example, more VLS is good? What if you don't have enough fire cannel to guide? What if you can't even see you target because the datalink is jammed or satellite killed?

In battlefield, everything can happen. A more "advanced" weapon, in must of the case, will request less "constraint" or easilier use condition, and will give you more chance to survive, or to reach your tactical or strategic goal, that's all.

An old weapon used in the right way and under good condition could be 100 times more efficient than highly sophisticated weapon.

Henri K.

The Type 052D will be built by two shipyards, and i am confident that we won't see D5 in the JN shipyard, right after D4, it gonna jump to the Type 055.

Type 052D, ah, the last of the Type 052 platform dating back to the early 90s. Throughout its life, the Type 052 platform has grown larger and more advanced. Beam increased from 16 meters to 18 meters. Tonnage increased from 4,800 tons to 7,500 tons. Type 055 likely starts off with a beam of over 21 meters.

It makes no sense to say "inferior". A knife can kill, a gun as well, what is inferior to what? It depends on how you use it, under which context, and for what.

We're no longer in Middle ages, no more 1 vs 1 or Knight vs Knight. Translated to our day, no war is carried out by component vs component, but global system vs global system.

We can't say this ship is inferior to an another because one has less VLS, one has a radar with less range...etc. For example, more VLS is good? What if you don't have enough fire cannel to guide? What if you can't even see you target because the datalink is jammed or satellite killed?

In battlefield, everything can happen. A more "advanced" weapon, in must of the case, will request less "constraint" or easilier use condition, and will give you more chance to survive, or to reach your tactical or strategic goal, that's all.

An old weapon used in the right way and under good condition could be 100 times more efficient than highly sophisticated weapon.

Henri K.
I quite agree with you on this point.

The Type 052D will be built by two shipyards, and i am confident that we won't see D5 in the JN shipyard, right after D4, it gonna jump to the Type 055.

Not quite sure, whats happening at JN shipyard now.........as we havnt seen any recent photos from the shipyard posted on the web. Unless anyone knows differently....then please post images!

The last photos we saw, showed what appeared to be the 4th 052D now under construction in the right hand hallway.
Outside there was a module, which some speculated was for a 5th 052D.

So...........whats going in the left hand shed?........the next 052D.......or some other vessel. Hopefully we will find out in the not to distant future!

Regarding Dalian shipyard. I keep reading comments, saying that the yard has, or will be given orders to build further warships, such as the type 052D.....but so far, nothing seems to of come to fruition!

052D DDG sea trial

U3LVsjd.jpg

8f85sNj.jpg

0NdZ6G6.jpg

I am a non technical person in the subject filed but due to interest in naval warfare i have a question in my mind (but no one will make fun of it):omghaha:

Now seriouse question...

Suppose CIWS installed on the front side of the destroyer is engaging an upcoming missile on 90 degree and at the same time a missile is ready to take launch from VLS system then is there any risk/possibility of hitting the missile by CIWS fire. because all the systems are working independently and parallel. :cuckoo:

0NdZ6G6.jpg

I am a non technical person in the subject filed but due to interest in naval warfare i have a question in my mind (but no one will make fun of it):omghaha:

Now seriouse question...

Suppose CIWS installed on the front side of the destroyer is engaging an upcoming missile on 90 degree and at the same time a missile is ready to take launch from VLS system then is there any risk/possibility of hitting the missile by CIWS fire. because all the systems are working independently and parallel. :cuckoo:

all systems are work in parallel AND cooperatively (not independently)

all systems are work in parallel AND cooperatively (not independently)

Bro thanks for correction but your answer is incomplete. Respected seniors your valuable input is required.

Sir Penguin ?

Last edited:
Is there any plan for other shipyards to build type 052D?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom