What's new

Turkish Sensor and Detector Programs

CAFRAD PROTOTYPE INTEGRATED ON GABYA-CLASS FRIGATE FOR SEA TRIALS
Design, Development and manufacture of the CAFRAD prototype – consisting of an X-Band Multifunctional Phased Array Radar (CFR), an X-Band Illumination Radar (AYR) and a non-rotating AESA IFF antenna subsystem, was completed in September 2017 and factory acceptance tests were conducted in the first quarter of 2018. The prototype has now been installed on a GABYA-class frigate, with Phase I of the test programme scheduled for completion by early 2019. Phase II of the programme will cover the development of multi-face antenna versions of CFR and AYR and the development of UMR (to be based on the Turkish Air Force’s EIRS S-Band early warning radar and their integration with the CAFRAD suite. SSB plans to award Phase II in November 2018, with deliveries to start in 2023.

24-turk2.jpg

Aselsan CAFRAD units on Technology Demonstration Prototype (TGP) tower.

CAFRAD, under development under a $79 million contract since 2013, will provide the core capability and be the main sensor for the TF-2000-class air defence warfare destroyers, which will be designed and built around the CAFRAD capability. Featuring advanced GaN and AESA technologies, the CAFRAD suite can be installed on a single mast if the UMR fixed-panel option is adopted. The TF-2000-class will also feature a number of indigenous sensor systems such as the GENESIS ADVENT CMS and YAKAMOS-3 hull-mounted active/passive sonar, as well as weapon systems such as the 35mm KORKUT-D close-in weapon SYSTEM, HISAR-A short-, HISAR-Nokta medium- and HISAR-U long-range surface to air missiles. The latter will be capable of engaging airbreathing targets to a range of 70-90km, according to officials. The vessels are also expected to be fitted with the naval variant of the Enhanced Long Range Area Air and Missile Defence System (GUMS/UMBFSS), with ballistic missile defence capability. EuroSam has been selected as the technical support provider for these missile systems, to be fired from nationally-developed vertical launch systems.

Source: https://www.monch.com/mpg/news/ew-c4i-channel/4195-tr2409.html

About 50 liters more fuel and longer flight time if there is enough internal space.

one thing that bothers me about CATS is its IR camera resolution, 640x512 px is outdated. i wish they are able to change that without major revision.

The perfect replacement for Star Safire 380 for Bayraktar! Good job Aselsan! These guys are working.

IR resolution of CATS is really low.

If our CATS not better than this how we can replace starfire that can detect a human from 6 km range.

I guess, There is no information yet on the range and altitude of the huge radar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom