What's new

Turkish Sensor and Detector Programs

GAN based IC for RF applications

IMG_2961.jpg

GAN transistor
IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

The Lockheed Martin AN/TPQ-53 counter-battery radar is capable of also detecting low-flying threats, such as UAVs. Lockheed Martin says this is possible in great part thanks to the fact that the AN/TPQ-53 is an AESA radar (link).

Are there any plans to make the Aselsan STR (link) capable of air surveillance and short-range air defence coverage? @cabatli_53 @T-123456 @Combat-Master

I know Aselsan has the MSR to support the Hisar-A/O, but I think giving the STR an air surveillance and targeting ability will be valuable. The artillery units linked to the STR can also have SHORAD systems accompany them and use the STR's radar info for the Hisar-A/O. Or it can serve as a back-up to the MSR.

The Lockheed Martin AN/TPQ-53 counter-battery radar is capable of also detecting low-flying threats, such as UAVs. Lockheed Martin says this is possible in great part thanks to the fact that the AN/TPQ-53 is an AESA radar (link).

Are there any plans to make the Aselsan STR (link) capable of air surveillance and short-range air defence coverage? @cabatli_53 @T-123456 @Combat-Master

I know Aselsan has the MSR to support the Hisar-A/O, but I think giving the STR an air surveillance and targeting ability will be valuable. The artillery units linked to the STR can also have SHORAD systems accompany them and use the STR's radar info for the Hisar-A/O. Or it can serve as a back-up to the MSR.

System hasn't been developed yet so I think Aselsan is playing it cool for now, but they certainly have capability of turning a Ground surveillance radar into an Air and Ground radar - ACAR radar for instance (Link).
As for supplementing MSR with a proper air defence radar with IFF interrogator integrated, Kalkan-II seems to be the ideal system(Link)

Is Atmaca a licensed production of the Otus-u250? Or am I missing something here?

Most likely yes, I'm finding alot of things about Aselsan that is worrying.. Especially use of foreign sensors from france..

29yj9A.jpg

Tons of investment, and we are still on par with Greece?
JlX3zn.jpg

Last edited:
Most likely yes, I'm finding alot of things about Aselsan that is worrying.. Especially use of foreign sensors from france..

29yj9A.jpg

JlX3zn.jpg

Signal Processing Units: Theon - Greece.

29yj9A.jpg

JlX3zn.jpg

I wouldn't be too concerned about this. Aselsan is making sensors a generation ahead of this. Keep in mind that Aselsan is still a business - maybe it just didn't make economic sense to set up a production line for small, commodity sensors of this type.

29yj9A.jpg

JlX3zn.jpg
It could also be political... these could easily be developed or is also developed by Turkey.. to purchase such sensitive sensors from neighboring countries could just mean a political play to appease and keep your adversaries closer to you.

I wouldn't be too concerned about this. Aselsan is making sensors a generation ahead of this. Keep in mind that Aselsan is still a business - maybe it just didn't make economic sense to set up a production line for small, commodity sensors of this type.

This is uncooled microbolometer, they have generational developments in their own category. What Aselsan produces is cooled thermal sensors which also have generational development cycles.
Uncooled sensors have a larger market then cooled sensors, we only have to look at all the weapon sights and weapon stations that Aselsan have sold to date - in the hundreds. How many Aselpods or Aselflirs will they sell ? Couple dozen perhaps ?
UMTAS IIR Seeker is certain to contain a French sensor.. How much strategic overhand are we willing to give, before everything becomes smoke and mirrors ?

It could also be political... these could easily be developed or is also developed by Turkey.. to purchase such sensitive sensors from neighboring countries could just mean a political play to appease and keep your adversaries closer to you.

I don't think it's political, just a good sensor that every second-rate weapon sight producer uses (by second-rate I mean, buys everything required to assemble weapon sights)..
There has been tons of studies in microbolometer production using CMOS like production techniques. But that's all, just a ton of studies and R&D but no foundries set-up to produce them in house in scale..

Back
Top Bottom