Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don't agree

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:disagree:

Pointless, they do not reflect that you tell them. What they want it is only blood like Plebs in rome Colosseum, bread and blood (or also soccer). Finally our human specie has still not civilized, democracy or not.

Here in Holland, politicians argue about the arguments at hand. And people don't really discuss politics as much, but when they do, they also debate about the arguments at hand. They don't turn it into an argument.

In Turkey (or Turkish people abroad), the level of political discussions is low among politicians, and this also reflects on the people when they debate politics with each other. It can, at times, escalate into an argument. You can even see that sometimes in this forum among our Turkish members, matter of fact, many of us don't want to talk politics because of it.

That's what I mean when I write about politician's actions reflecting on people.

@TurAr @Inspector Spacetime and other Turkish bros..

Can you tell me how Turkish political system works? I ask this because I've been hearing "If HDP gets over 10%, they'll get 60 seats etc"...Now, why is 10% so important? Should it be that if HDP's candidates get most votes, they should be in parliament? Why is it that if HDP gets 10% votes, it wins..and if it gets 9.5%..it looses.

Can somebody explain to me how elections are conducted in Turkey? Regards.

@TurAr @Inspector Spacetime and other Turkish bros..

Can you tell me how Turkish political system works? I ask this because I've been hearing "If HDP gets over 10%, they'll get 60 seats etc"...Now, why is 10% so important? Should it be that if HDP's candidates get most votes, they should be in parliament? Why is it that if HDP gets 10% votes, it wins..and if it gets 9.5%..it looses.

Can somebody explain to me how elections are conducted in Turkey? Regards.

Turkish party's needs 10% votes to get into parliament. Erdogan needs two-thirds majority to change in presidential system. If HDP enter parliament, than only by AKP loosing votes. Which means AKP will lose two-thirds majority, which they have yet,

In Turkey (or Turkish people abroad), the level of political discussions is low among politicians, and this also reflects on the people when they debate politics with each other. It can, at times, escalate into an argument...

That's what I mean when I write about politician's actions reflecting on people.

Bingo !!!

Impartiality gentlemens (1, 2)… lol take us for jerks.

13 janv. 2014

Discussion of reforms to the judiciary resulted in a brawl between members of the
governing AK party and main opposition People's Republican Party members in
theTurkish parliament's justice comission on Sunday (January 12).

Rival members of parliament started fighting as the justice commission met for a
third day to discuss a draft bill from Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's AK Party
which would give it more say over the appointment of judges and prosecutors.

euronews: the most watched news channel in Europe

:closed:

Last edited:
The only improvement I have seen, came for CHP, and that was in the form of 'central Turkey' project from a few days ago. The others not so much. However, I am not claiming that they haven't improved, this is just based on from what seen so far from their meetings and such. I must confess I haven't come across much of MHP's meetings though.
Imo, the opposition is still clueless. Yeah, chp put that 'central Turkey' idea forward (which imo is not original at all, anyway thats another topic). If you watch closely, chp, mhp, hdp and many smaller parties are mainly just parroting each other and increase numbers, probably a concerted effort from their 'higher up'. Minimum wage this, farmers get bonus, closure of that while they don't even dare to criticize Gulen (obviously they all are co-operating just to get rid of akp. Who knows what Gulen promised or threatened them. Gulenists entering hdp office from the backdoor wont be forgotten either). In short, the opposition mainly acts like Cem Uzan did, no substance at all, just empty promises and pledges. Nevertheless Cem Uzan was able to get 7% of the votes because of such populistic promises at that time, and this is what the opposition aims at; they know they can't beat akp, so the best they can do is pick off a few percentages they can from akp's votes and declare a lousy victory if akp wins with a lesser vote compared to the previous elections. Anyway, the people are not that stupid and ignorant anymore, nowadays almost everybody has access to internet and tv. People can blame akp for all they want (they have their share of mistakes too), but they cant deny that akp is at least doing something for the country. People hating akp for just who they are need to chill and rather start to look why the akp has been able to garner more votes ever since 2003. Imo look at the source of the problem; the opposition .Same counts for some akp fanatics too; branding chp voters as leftist terrorists or whatever bullshit needs to stop too. Whole Turkish politics has become a circus ffs, it's clearly reflected among the society. supporting a party makes you a potential threat in the others' eyes, this forum speaks volumes, hence people try to avoid politics.

Last edited:
The division isn't caused only by Erdogan. And yes, I AM critical of Erdogan's rhetoric, but not just his. Most of Turkey's politicians have a similar rhetoric. So it would be unfair to only single Erdogan out in this case. For instance CHP's tv commercial: "Cumhuriyet'e, Laiklige (vesayre) zulum eden malum zihniyeti, protesto amacli alkisliyoruz. Gelin oy verin, gitsinler." This is just pure polarization, alienating (in this case) AKP, as if they are an evil entity. This is by the way just one example, not trying to single out CHP or anything. Like I said they are all doing it, and it needs to change.

The division/polarization by the way is caused by Turkish politics in general, and it isn't new at all. This rift was always there. Even before Erdogan was president, or prime-minister even. In 2010 for instance Gul was boo'd during Basketball finals. Gul's rhetoric is actually on a desired level, but despite that he was hated.

By the way, you can actually blame Erdogan's rhetoric for the polarization. But pro-Erdogan people can actually blame opposition's rhetoric for the polarization in Turkey. And to be honest, both of these camps are right. What needs to happen is, politicians need to become responsible in the way they talk and conduct themselves, and be aware that their actions reflect on the people.

Yeah it is mainly caused by him. Sure other politicians might have been contributing to the polarization, but its main architect is Erdogan and his movement. He as the President should have been more responsible about his rhetoric than the opposition but instead he insisted on his famous explosive, sectarian, hateful, arrogant, defaming and manipulative tone. He has INTENTIONALLY created this division in order to consolidate his support because the chair is more important to him than the country or the people.

As I said, yes it was there but it has never been as sharp as it is now thanks to AKP. People might disliked him because of his political background but Gül was never hated. There was no reason since he was mostly an impartial President, or at least he sincerely tried to be as one. I even like the guy. But Erdogan is being hated by more than at least half of the country. Hate might not actually cut it, let's say loathed. It is really a bad sign for the country's future.

Tell you what, post the most hardcore examples of that polarizing rhetoric you can find from the opposition parties. Make it relatively new, shouldn't be older than 6 months. And I'll come with the most disturbing things Erdogan and Davutoglu said recently. Let's compare them together here? I just find the source of the polarization way too obvious to see that it surprise me when someone who had a well education fail to see it as well. Mind you, I'm not denying the opposition's role but I'm saying that it cannot be even compared with that of AKP's in this division.

I never said it was bad to live in Holland, and I might live in Turkey, you never know. I said, despite the quality of Dutch politics and politicians, you can still argue about the efficiency about parliamentary system in Netherlands. And yea, Turkey is currently doing fine. But what will happen when another coalition comes? Judging from past experiences and the way all political party's interact with each other, it won't be anything good. And AKP is trying to find a solution for this, and their solution is presidential system. Which I don't blame. The opposition should do themselves a favor and come up with their own solutions regarding this topic, instead of just claiming dictatorship and what not.

Despite their "inefficient" ways, people in Netherlands enjoy much more civil, social, political and culturural rights than Turks can ever dream of. Almost in every area, be it industry or agriculture, despite its size Netherlands is ahead of Turkey. I won't even mention the differences between living standards. So as I said, don't worry about it.

So in order to prevent coalitions you are suggesting to throw away Turkey's, even after decades, flawed and immature political system and replace it with a new Alaturca Presidential System? If AKP don't want coalitions to come, maybe it should abandon its polarizing attitude and aim for forming the government alone as it did before? Maybe it should focus on human rights and freedoms more as it did during its first two terms when they used to enjoy political support from pretty much every ideology. Maybe Erdogan as the President should stop breaking the oath he took on his honor and dignity daily in front of millions and he should stop acting like the head of AKP and start representing the solidarity of the people? Maybe they should stop using Islam to make the most disgusting political maneuvers? Maybe that is the easier and healthier way to prevent coalitions to come than replacing the whole system, wouldn't you agree?

Turkish party's needs 10% votes to get into parliament. Erdogan needs two-thirds majority to change in presidential system. If HDP enter parliament, than only by AKP loosing votes. Which means AKP will lose two-thirds majority, which they have yet,
AKP doesnt have two-third majority in Parliament.

Grand National Assembly of Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parlamentswahl in der Türkei - Erdogans AKP verfehlt Zwei-Drittel-Mehrheit - Politik - Süddeutsche.de

I just wanted you to know this.

Havuzlu Çıkarma Gemisi Projesi

Pathetic questions, only time lost:-).

“Amaç: Deniz Kuvvetleri Komutanlığı ihtiyacına binaen Ege, Akdeniz ve Karadeniz'de asgari 1 (bir) tabur büyüklüğündeki bir kuvveti ana üs desteği gerektirmeksizin, kendi lojistik desteği ile kriz bölgesine intikal ettirebilecek Havuzlu Çıkarma Gemisinin (LPD) -Çıkarma/Amfibi Araçları ile birlikte- tedarik edilmesi.

Yeah it is mainly caused by him. Sure other politicians might have been contributing to the polarization, but its main architect is Erdogan and his movement. He as the President should have been more responsible about his rhetoric than the opposition but instead he insisted on his famous explosive, sectarian, hateful, arrogant, defaming and manipulative tone. He has INTENTIONALLY created this division in order to consolidate his support because the chair is more important to him than the country or the people.

As I said, yes it was there but it has never been as sharp as it is now thanks to AKP. People might disliked him because of his political background but Gül was never hated. There was no reason since he was mostly an impartial President, or at least he sincerely tried to be as one. I even like the guy. But Erdogan is being hated by more than at least half of the country. Hate might not actually cut it, let's say loathed. It is really a bad sign for the country's future.

Tell you what, post the most hardcore examples of that polarizing rhetoric you can find from the opposition parties. Make it relatively new, shouldn't be older than 6 months. And I'll come with the most disturbing things Erdogan and Davutoglu said recently. Let's compare them together here? I just find the source of the polarization way too obvious to see that it surprise me when someone who had a well education fail to see it as well. Mind you, I'm not denying the opposition's role but I'm saying that it cannot be even compared with that of AKP's in this division.

Despite their "inefficient" ways, people in Netherlands enjoy much more civil, social, political and culturural rights than Turks can ever dream of. Almost in every area, be it industry or agriculture, despite its size Netherlands is ahead of Turkey. I won't even mention the differences between living standards. So as I said, don't worry about it.

So in order to prevent coalitions you are suggesting to throw away Turkey's, even after decades, flawed and immature political system and replace it with a new Alaturca Presidential System? If AKP don't want coalitions to come, maybe it should abandon its polarizing attitude and aim for forming the government alone as it did before? Maybe it should focus on human rights and freedoms more as it did during its first two terms when they used to enjoy political support from pretty much every ideology. Maybe Erdogan as the President should stop breaking the oath he took on his honor and dignity daily in front of millions and he should stop acting like the head of AKP and start representing the solidarity of the people? Maybe they should stop using Islam to make the most disgusting political maneuvers? Maybe that is the easier and healthier way to prevent coalitions to come than replacing the whole system, wouldn't you agree?
I am not gonna bother with looking up examples of which one has more harsh words in this polarization issue. I also don't think it's really relevant, because they are all doing it and they all need to stop it.

I don't think Erdogan does it intentionally. Because there is no point in doing that. Matter of fact, it would turn against him (and it does), because he is at the leadership of the country. Having a divided country for a leader doesn't do him any favors. I think he is aware of this, and you could see this opinion come to fruition in his commercial (form last year or something), that went something like: 'beraber yuruduk biz yollarda'. But, the man doesn't filter himself when he is giving speeches etc. And I think this is Erdogan's both positive and negative trait. The people that love him, love him for this reason, and the people that hate it, hate him for this reason.

I also dont think half of Turkey hate and loath Erdogan at all. He was elected with more than 50%, and I base my opinion on the following survey:
Bu anket bomba! Erdoğan ezdi Davutoğlu sürpriz haberi
This survey is from december 2014, the most recent one I was able to find during a google search. And according to this survey, Erdogan enjoys the highest approval rating among all the leaders in Turkey. I personally don't hate him at all, but if I was also surveyed, I also would've answered negatively on his approval rating. His approval rating has dropped however, in 2013 his approval rating was in the 50% (survey was from after the protests).

In your post you said that the public approval rating was higher for AKP in their first and second term. And yea, Erdogan's rhetoric started to especially change in his 3rd term from what I remember as well. And it is disappointing to have witnessed that. I hope all the leaders will see their mistake and try to fix this polarization issue starting with themselves.

The coalition issue, the problem is, it doesn't end with AKP being able to form a government on itself. AKP won't be the first party for ever. And there will sure enough be a time where coalition governments can't be avoided after an election. And then, trouble will be in the horizon for the country. So, in order to safeguard the country's future in this regard, AKP's suggestion is the Presidential system. So far, Presidential system is the best solution I have heard for this problem. I am open to other suggestions, but haven't exactly heard any from the opposition party's. And from what I have seen from the oppostion party's so far, I am doubting their competence and not really hopefull that they will say something sensible on this issue. Hopefully I am wrong though, because my biggest wish for Turkish politics is for it's level to rise exponantially, to come to the same level (surpass even) the level of (for instance) Dutch politics.

And yes, Netherlands enjoys more civil, social rights etc. But despite this, one could still argue about the efficiency of the Parlamentary system in the country, is what I have been trying to say in my previous posts. Netherlands is doing well in my opinion, and that is due to it being a developed country, as opposed to Turkey, which is a developing country. Coalition's don't really hurt Netherlands, because the country is developed and it enjoys a high level of politics. But even despite this one could argue about it's efficiency. I feel like I am just repeating myself on this issue. Netherlands currently has it's own share of problem's too, like high jobless count, and budget cuts. But what country doens't have problems right?

I feel like I am just repeating myself over and over on these issue's and we have derailed this topic quite a bit. I'll try to not post a reaction, if you wish to react to this post. Unless I feel like I really need to.

I am not gonna bother with looking up examples of which one has more harsh words in this polarization issue. I also don't think it's really relevant, because they are all doing it and they all need to stop it.

I don't think Erdogan does it intentionally. Because there is no point in doing that. Matter of fact, it would turn against him (and it does), because he is at the leadership of the country. Having a divided country for a leader doesn't do him any favors. I think he is aware of this, and you could see this opinion come to fruition in his commercial (form last year or something), that went something like: 'beraber yuruduk biz yollarda'. But, the man doesn't filter himself when he is giving speeches etc. And I think this is Erdogan's both positive and negative trait. The people that love him, love him for this reason, and the people that hate it, hate him for this reason.

I also dont think half of Turkey hate and loath Erdogan at all. He was elected with more than 50%, and I base my opinion on the following survey:
Bu anket bomba! Erdoğan ezdi Davutoğlu sürpriz haberi
This survey is from december 2014, the most recent one I was able to find during a google search. And according to this survey, Erdogan enjoys the highest approval rating among all the leaders in Turkey. I personally don't hate him at all, but if I was also surveyed, I also would've answered negatively on his approval rating. His approval rating has dropped however, in 2013 his approval rating was in the 50% (survey was from after the protests).

In your post you said that the public approval rating was higher for AKP in their first and second term. And yea, Erdogan's rhetoric started to especially change in his 3rd term from what I remember as well. And it is disappointing to have witnessed that. I hope all the leaders will see their mistake and try to fix this polarization issue starting with themselves.

The coalition issue, the problem is, it doesn't end with AKP being able to form a government on itself. AKP won't be the first party for ever. And there will sure enough be a time where coalition governments can't be avoided after an election. And then, trouble will be in the horizon for the country. So, in order to safeguard the country's future in this regard, AKP's suggestion is the Presidential system. So far, Presidential system is the best solution I have heard for this problem. I am open to other suggestions, but haven't exactly heard any from the opposition party's. And from what I have seen from the oppostion party's so far, I am doubting their competence and not really hopefull that they will say something sensible on this issue. Hopefully I am wrong though, because my biggest wish for Turkish politics is for it's level to rise exponantially, to come to the same level (surpass even) the level of (for instance) Dutch politics.

And yes, Netherlands enjoys more civil, social rights etc. But despite this, one could still argue about the efficiency of the Parlamentary system in the country, is what I have been trying to say in my previous posts. Netherlands is doing well in my opinion, and that is due to it being a developed country, as opposed to Turkey, which is a developing country. Coalition's don't really hurt Netherlands, because the country is developed and it enjoys a high level of politics. But even despite this one could argue about it's efficiency. I feel like I am just repeating myself on this issue. Netherlands currently has it's own share of problem's too, like high jobless count, and budget cuts. But what country doens't have problems right?

I feel like I am just repeating myself over and over on these issue's and we have derailed this topic quite a bit. I'll try to not post a reaction, if you wish to react to this post. Unless I feel like I really need to.

There are more recent ones.

From the same research company, MetroPoll:

dZq4DYI.jpg

From Gezici (published yesterday):

Q: Do you approve Erdogan's appearances on political rallies as the President:
anket2.jpg

I'm off to bed. I might give you a detailed answer tomorrow. Hopefully our discussion would be carried to the politics thread by then by our good mod @Hakan.

Back
Top Bottom