What's new

Turkish PM criticises US writer Paul Auster over human rights comment

PakistaniandProud

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Paul-Auster-007.jpg

Paul Auster who was quoted as saying that he would not visit Turkey in protest at its jailing of journalists and writers. Photograph: Rafa Rivas/AFP/Getty Images

Turkey's prime minister has hit back at American writer Paul Auster, who was quoted as saying that he would not visit the country in protest at its jailing of journalists and writers.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan, known for his blunt pronouncements, said on Wednesday: "As if we need you! Who cares if you come or not? Would Turkey lose any grandeur?"

Auster was quoted as saying in an interview with Turkey's Hürriyet newspaper on Monday that he wouldn't visit Turkey or China to protest their treatment of journalists.

Dozens of journalists have been jailed in Turkey accused of involvement in an alleged plot to topple the government or of links with Kurdish rebels.

Erdogan's government denies they are being persecuted for their writing

Our Majesty doesn't wants anybody who criticizes him in his sight, anybody who critices him and his actions is either traitor/terrorist or mannerless and isn't needed in the country.

Our Majesty doesn't wants anybody who criticizes him in his sight, anybody who critices him and his actions is either traitor/terrorist or mannerless and isn't needed in the country.

Haha We call him the supreme leader in Izmir. He famous for his tantrums

who the hell is this guy? he said hes not going to come to our country , who wants him here?

No one has a media as free as Pakistan's. Here everyone can invest money, buy air time, and propagate points of view extremely detrimental to the state and its security. And the best thing is, no accountability and no one will arrest them or ask for explanation.

So I think Turkey is doing well to put some limit to this unwanted freedom.

No one has a media as free as Pakistan's. Here everyone can invest money, buy air time, and propagate points of view extremely detrimental to the state and its security. And the best thing is, no accountability and no one will arrest them or ask for explanation.

There is no such thing as 'unwanted freedom' for a nation like turkey. I don't know about pakistan..

There is no such thing as 'unwanted freedom' for a nation like turkey. I don't know about pakistan..

Hmmmn...then having a dig at Mr.Ataturk, Secularism & all that the Turkish Nation stands for isn't going to be particularly problematic ! Abdi, these so-called 'Freedoms' have always been oxymoronic in that they always have some sort of a catch to them...somewhere that you draw the line !

I agree there should always be a limit to this to so this free media words.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom