What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

I fear from this design. I do appreciate all the engineers who designed but it seems like there's 0 taste of strategy.

Afterburners of the missiles at that VLS stationed at the back of the deck will harm the PESA radar's scanner which is just in front of it. It's truly not a good idea.

Maybe a cold start can help?!

Maybe a cold start can help?!

U kiddin lol

VLS_MK41_Missile_Launch.gif

As you see, not only the missile afterburner but also the exhaust and flame venting will also damage the PESA radar. They are too close to each other. In fact that was what I tried to mention in Turkish up there. (Neptn)

U kiddin lol

As you see, not only the missile afterburner but also the exhaust and flame venting will also damage the PESA radar. They are too close to each other. In fact that was what I tried to mention in Turkish up there. (Neptn)

Neptune can start of launch be like this ?..

U kiddin lol

Dude, this example don't show a cold start. It's a warm start.

Neptune can start of launch be like this ?..

Navy is going for Mk41s till death, I would also.

The main objective of Mk41 system is to provide rapid fire launching capability which fires the missile before the launch.

Dude, this example don't show a cold start. It's a warm start.
Read my reply to xxxkul :)

(Neptune)

Navy is going for Mk41s till death, I would also.

The main objective of Mk41 system is to provide rapid fire launching capability which fires the missile before the launch.

Read my reply to xxxkul :)

(Neptune)

Hello ! :wave:

Am I talking to Mr.Neptune or Mrs.Neptune ? :unsure:

I fear from this design. I do appreciate all the engineers who designed but it seems like there's 0 taste of strategy.

Afterburners of the missiles at that VLS stationed at the back of the deck will harm the PESA radar's scanner which is just in front of it. It's truly not a good idea.

And most importantly, having all the firepower at the Position A (nose side platforms of a ship) is another fail. There seem to be 5x 16-cell Mk41 VLS'. Having 80 missiles (at least 30 of them will be LACMs), a RIM-116 RAM, 127mm cannon and it's ammo will be at the Position A. It means hell amount of weight at the front.

I don't think they will go for that design in excat. DZKK will ask them to reposition the armament.

(neptune)

When milgem designs revealed firstly in mid 90s, the design was so different by years with requirements to be fulfilled, design changed and became longer, lower RCS and so on.
About missiles,i dont think it will have an effect on "stability" since ,stability of ships checked by transverse motions ( Roll motion, and Heel) and its not about where is the weight on longtidunal, but its about where is the weight on vertical position.
but if its what you mean the accelaration increases on fore part, and that makes unstable movements in wave for launching missiles, beside the deck flood or ineffcient volume beneath deck is also considered for this .
A missile could be 1-1.5 tonnes, 80 of them is 120 tonnes at last and this isnt a game changer for stability by moving place some meters. but its a matter for deck area utilization .
Also let me note this, this kind of fast ships has their center of buoancy aft than mid, instead of front .even having payload in there might be an advantage .most of critical weight concentrated on aft, helo deck, helo, engines (mostly in mid, near aft ) mission bays and so on, also structure is the same, center of structural members' centroid shifts to aft, due to more usage of material in there, this is why there is a trimming tank on front of ship( its mostly on fore ) to stabilize ship when its halfly loaded .

Let me add this, there are accelaration restrictions as standards of naval ship design known STANAG, or sometimes NATO standards, as the ship is getting longer, the accelarations may increase in fore ( assume radial acc. is same, length is increased ) this might need to shift to guns to aft) because the acc. is higher than limit on fore, and no way to stop this acc. it happens always ,many things are related with each other, and affecting in vice-versa.

stability-ship.gif

this is a basic illustration for stability, (copyright tutorvista )

Last edited:
Why do you want Korkut? Just because its ours? I don't think navy will ever go for it when there is a superior CIWS like RAM out there.
i think there is need for CIWS still, like ship is carrying a fore gun even there are too many missiles to handle same business, there isnt all targets are valuable to be hit by RAM missile, if we consider last era's swarm tactics even in naval operation (small and too many with caotics moves ) ciws will be more usefull . Sure RAM is needed for valuable targets too.

i think there is need for CIWS still, like ship is carrying a fore gun even there are too many missiles to handle same business, there isnt all targets are valuable to be hit by RAM missile, if we consider last era's swarm tactics even in naval operation (small and too many with caotics moves ) ciws will be more usefull . Sure RAM is needed for valuable targets too.
I also think that there are still missiles that CIWS will be more beneficial. Thats why most of the German and American ships have it. Especially with the latest ammunition that can be programmed, the ship will be way safer.

Some recent news i heard about Large Cavitation Tunnel , will be built in one of our institutes,
the project is going ahead and it seems conceptual design phase is done, agreed a company for establishing. and foreseen date for its completion talked as 2018 ( might be not active service date )
Its kind of a test tunnel, where propellers can be tested, also scaled model of ships , or even missiles and planes in supersonic range might be done. i assume this will lead more projects in these aspects.
this will be the first LARGE water tunnel built in Turkey, and its a system owned by developed and some developing countries (excluding exUSSR and influenced countries)
( i have got these informations from Msc thesis , graduation thesis and some reliable people i talked from corresponding institute ,currently details are kept as secret by SSM )

I also thought that ship will be able to carry very few missiles if you compare it thousands of CIWS munition... Also when it's needed CIWS can be used against ships and land targets, right ?..

Last edited:
Please elaborate what SSM and RAM and VLS stand for ? @Kaan

SSM: Savunma Sanayi Müsteşarlığı: Undersecretariat for Defence Industries

RAM: Rolling Airframe Missile

VLS: Vertical Launching System

Back
Top Bottom