What's new

Turkish Armed Forces Multimedia Center

What do you think about the M60's without any upgrades? How long do you think we will keep those?

Well, M-48/60 have to retire asap. They'll retire them as soon as Altay enters the service. 1-2 years later (the start of serial production for Altay) they'll be phased out.

All variants of M60 and M48 are useless in my opinion no matter how heavily they are upgrade, with an exception for Israeli Sabra upgraded ones only.

It's not disaster actually. Altay is a 65+ ton monster. It's one of the heaviest new generation tanks. Turkey and it's neighbours have different kind of environments. We can not, no army can go with a type of tank only. While Altay has better armor, Leo2NGs have more firepower and they are more flexible&mobile. No army would prefer to operate one type of tanks only.

It could be a logistical nightmare, if you use three kind of MBT. As far as I know, most modern army use one kind of MBT. Of course, they dont have all the same level, but all are same MBT. I dont say you must use one type of tank (MBT, Light tank, medium tank), but not three types of same tanks. Spare part, munition, maintenance etc can bring many problems. Thats for sure.

To the Altay Tank, as far as I know it will use a 120 mm 55 caliber smoothbore gun, like turkish Leopard NG.

Well, M-48/60 have to retire asap. They'll retire them as soon as Altay enters the service. 1-2 years later (the start of serial production for Altay) they'll be phased out.

All variants of M60 and M48 are useless in my opinion no matter how heavily they are upgrade, with an exception for Israeli Sabra upgraded ones only.
Is it possible to convert them into self propelled 105mm howitzer? Just change the fire control system and a few other things right? I mean why not?

wikipedia:
  • The M60 series has instrumentation that allows indirect fire as ad-hoc artillery if needed by virtue of having a compass on board.

Is it possible to convert them into self propelled 105mm howitzer? Just change the fire control system and a few other things right? I mean why not?

wikipedia:
  • The M60 series has instrumentation that allows indirect fire as ad-hoc artillery if needed by virtue of having a compass on board.

sure it is, but considering maintainance costs and more, it's not worth it, they probably will be hidden in a depot somewhere in Anatolia as reserve equipment.

wikipedia:
Why keep the M60s as "artillery" when you have your own developed dedicated systems, aka Firtina.

Don't get me wrong the M60 is still capable of taking on most of our neighbours tanks.

wikipedia:
Research Fatih howitzer project.

bsn05.jpg

On a facebook page someone posted this picture and said "They are Mehmetçik -1"
As i know Mehmetçik -1 and MPT are 2 different infantry rifles and If i'm not wrong Mehmetçik -1 is 5.56 and MPT is 7.62

Any opinion ?

1622012_10152016667518723_441160054_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom