What's new

Turkic World Photos/News/Discussions.

Btw Ahiska are living in Germany ? have you been to Turkey before ? if you're living in Germay how is your relation with Turks at there ?

Both are Oghuz tongues, so they should be pretty close, especially in terms of vocabulary. But the two has developed separately over centuries so there is a lot of different features, this applies even between Azerbaijani and Anatolian Turkish, although the two started to develop separately only by 15th century. The separate development of Turkmen (eastern Oghuz) and western Oghuz had already taken place at an even earlier period.

Last edited:
How does Ahiska Turkish sound like to you?

To me, it sounds like Turkish with a little Russian influence on it.

to whom are you replying? me or asq-1918? please quote while replying or it gets messy in such discussions :D

Telkon still waiting bro... please enlighten me. :)

Both are Oghuz tongues, so they should be pretty close, especially in terms of vocabulary. But the two has developed separately over centuries so there is a lot of different features, this applies even between Azerbaijani and Anatolian Turkish, although the two started to develop separately only by 15th century. The separate development of Turkmen from western Oghuz tongue was even earlier.

ASQ, mate same question to you.

How Oghuz Turks related with other Turks like Kırgız, Kazak, Uygur etc... ?

Kazakhstan President Wants to Drop the ‘Stan’

The leader of Kazakhstan said Thursday that his country should lose the last four letters of its name.

President Nursultan Nazarbayev cited country’s oil wealth as a reason why it should be seen as distinctive from the rest of the Central Asian”‘stans,” Reuters reports. Those include Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, countries that are largely poverty-stricken.

Kazakhstan has seen a large level of investment from foreign corporations since it emerged from the ruins of the Soviet Union more than two decades ago, but Kazakh officials say the country still gets little attention from the rest of the world. Nazarbayev said that the country of 17 million could be renamed ‘Kazakh Ali,’ meaning “the Land of the Kazakhs,” as a way to seem more appealing to potential foreign visitors.

“Foreigners show interest in Mongolia, whose population is just two million people, but whose name lacks the ‘stan’ ending,” the president’s press service quoted him as saying. Nazarbayev said the idea is something “we definitely need to discuss with the people.”

Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev Seeks Country Name Change | TIME.com
The funny thing in Turkey we call all Balkan states "stan" at the end of the name. For example "Yunani-stan", "Serbi-stan", etc

You can change your own name, but other people will call you what they are familiar with.

Language and some historical ,cultural and genetical connection.

Nope.. like how do they fit in ?

oguz-boylari.jpg

Who is our shared ancestor, etc..

How can we know dude ? do we know who is the shared ancestor of Germanic or Slavic people ? :) that was long long time ago, all we know we have some connection, like being from same village :D

Mate, I mean it's confusing a bit...

Like Azeris and Turkish are Oghuz Turks. So Kırgız and Kazak Turks are originated from the same family ?

Btw Ahiska are living in Germany ? have you been to Turkey before ? if you're living in Germay how is your relation with Turks at there ?
I never met Ashika but I met couple of Kazakh, Turkmen, Uzbek and I have to say they were all very nice people, I got along very well with them, and we had a lot of topics to talk about but Kazakh I liked the most. They are most pan-Turkist and seek for closeness. I was always reading that Kazakhstan was seeking close relationship with Turkey but I found out that on personal level this is also the case. I wish this counted for all Turkic states.

Well there are some kinds of misunderstandings sometime.
Because since i came from Kazakhstan they ask if im Russian or sometimes think im a convert but its not really a problem.
The bigger thing is how many have the direct opposite of my view (most Turks i know identify more with religion then nationality)
The most Turks here come from Zonguldak also they are quite weird sometimes (speak about weird things)

I never met Ashika but I met couple of Kazakh, Turkmen, Uzbek and I have to say they were all very nice people, I got along very well with them, and we had a lot of topics to talk about but Kazakh I liked the most. They are most pan-Turkist and seek for closeness. I was always reading that Kazakhstan was seeking close relationship with Turkey but I found out that on personal level this is also the case. I wish this counted for all Turkic states.
We Ahiska are quite rare in Germany my family came with Russians to Germany (i would say no more then 600 Ahiskas live in Germany)

Turkmenistan to Build Another Expensive Thing It Doesn't Need
February 7, 2014 - 11:38am, by Myles G. Smith

Turkmenistan appears poised to build the one white elephant it's overlooked during a 15-year building spree—a subway system under the streets of its deserted capital city.

President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov mooted the idea during a meeting with Ukrainian construction magnate Vladimir Petruk in Ashgabat this week. During the meeting, Berdymukhamedov reportedly asked Petruk to study the issue. "Due to the rapid growth of the capital city and increase in its population, the esteemed president drew attention to the need to build a metro," state television announced on February 4.

I can't help but take a bit of credit for the concept, which I used to suggest in jest to anyone who would listen when I lived in Ashgabat. In jest, because Ashgabat's low population, sprawl, earthquakes, and lack of traffic make a subway an imprudent investment.

Petruk apparently raised the idea back in 2005 with Berdymukhamedov's predecessor, Saparmurat Niyazov. The plans went nowhere that time, perhaps for good reason.

Estimates of Ashgabat's population generally hover between 700,000 and one million. During the Soviet era, one million was the minimum number required for Moscow’s planners to consider building a metro in a city.

While the Guinness Book of World Records says Ashgabat hosts the world's highest concentration of white marble-clad buildings, its concentration of actual residents is notoriously low, to the point where many districts feel empty. Large new apartment buildings are spaced far apart, with some units sitting empty years after completion. Massive parks, curious cultural objects – such as the world’s largest indoor ferris wheel – and vast emptiness separate residential districts in new parts of the city.

A subway system requires a high-population density to be efficient. Ashgabat's wide roads were designed to suit buses and personal cars. Yet traffic is rare except when the president's security team closes a road hours in advance of his motorcade, causing the odd traffic jam. Ashgabat’s buses are reasonably efficient and cheap, as are unlicensed taxis, thanks to highly subsidized fuel.

Ashgabat residents are also justifiably leery of spending time in newly constructed objects, thrown up lately with suspect standards. They would be forgiven for hesitating to travel under a city where mass graves for the 100,000-odd victims of the 1948 earthquake are still auspicious urban landmarks.

Kazakhstan poses a model for failure that Turkmenistan might heed. Almaty's metro, which opened in 2011, took over 20 years to build, doesn't connect enough neighborhoods to be useful yet, and loses riders to skepticism about construction standards. Despite Almaty’s notorious traffic and much higher density, metro ridership is still low.

Perhaps Ashgabat’s metro could become a link between numerous underused boondoggle projects: A new $2 billion airport will replace Ashgabat's sleepy existing terminal in 2016, and its $5 billionOlympic City, complete with monorail loop, is scheduled for completion in time to host the obscure Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in 2017.

Of course, while we indulge in snickering at Turkmenistan’s many spendthrift decisions, profligate government waste is no joke for residents who cannot get decent medical care and whose children are conscripted to pick cotton.

Back
Top Bottom