What's new

Turkey's Altay MBT project hit by engine technology transfer issues

Pff if Erbakan was alive he would say HADI ORDAN to Austria!

Ukraine isn't a realistic option for Turkey given the recent Turkish-Russian rapprochement and how Ukraine itself is torn between the EU (that's effectively sanctioning us) and Russia.

Our choices are:
  • Delay Altay serial production by 4-5 years until a fully domestic 1500HP is ready.
  • Settle for an inferior 900HP engine; severely limiting Altay's performance characteristics.
  • Buy the engines off-the-shelf -- Accept risk of cost increases, re-export restrictions, spare parts restrictions, operational zone restrictions, modification restrictions.
  • Go for an alternate provider of technology, preferably outside of the Eurozone -- Will still delay serial production by at least 1 year
  • Jointly develop a brand new engine with another country -- Also a 4-5 year investment but with a smaller upfront R&D and unit cost.

The prototypes are all equipped with MTU engines. Changing the engine would effect all subcomponents and also software . There is no risk to use MTU engines in the first 500 batch. MTU is RollyRoyce Group and Turkey signed with UK an almost limitless defence agreement, which won't restrict exports of TF-X (with EJ-2000 +).
We can assume that this agreement is also valid for RollsRoyce tank engines (MTU).
RollsRoyce is an UK company and only UK could restrict exports or TOT.
Merkava is also equipped with MTU engines. French Leclerc is equipped with Finish company Wärtsilä engines.

The prototypes are all equipped with MTU engines. Changing the engine would effect all subcomponents and also software . There is no risk to use MTU engines in the first 500 batch. MTU is RollyRoyce Group and Turkey signed with UK an almost limitless defence agreement, which won't restrict exports of TF-X (with EJ-2000 +).
We can assume that this agreement is also valid for RollsRoyce tank engines (MTU).
RollsRoyce is an UK company and only UK could restrict exports or TOT.
Merkava is also equipped with MTU engines. French Leclerc is equipped with Finish company Wärtsilä engines.

Are you talking about MTU Friedrichshafen or MTU Aero Engines?

Was AVL list even capable of designing a tank engine? All they do is developing lightweight civilian engines.

Pakistan was not going to buy Altay anyway. 65 Tonnes tank isn't suitable for Pakistani roads & bridges, otherwise we could have easily bought Abrams in Zia tenure. Pakistan would only be interested in sub-systems used in Altay.

Not to mention the Altay uses a 120mm tank gun compared to the 125mm tanks guns we're used to. Such a shame. But our Turkish brothers sure do have some skills, the Altay mbt is one awesome looking tank!

Yes, ARMATA T-14 has a 125mm gun and will have upgrade to 152mm Gun in a few years. It will pulverize all NATO shity tanks out there.

Yes, ARMATA T-14 has a 125mm gun and will have upgrade to 152mm Gun in a few years. It will pulverize all NATO shity tanks out there.

Tell me, what will happen if you're on battlefield with no more 152mm coming to you (whatever the reason is, supply line cut or else) and that you can only find 125mm around you (enemy or else)??

ARMATA T-14 will carry enough 152mm Shells to vaporize a whole NATO tank batallion. Every hit a kill..

Tunesia is FUBAR
First it's T-U-N-I-S-I-A

Second, if "attacking" or "insulting" is a way to change the subject, then so be it. I don't Rly Care.

Third, I'm not gonna respond on the same ground as you, since a lot of russians come in Tunisia for holidays, and they are decent ppl.

Last... I Love my democratic and Good living country :)

Back
Top Bottom