What's new

Turkey's Altay MBT project hit by engine technology transfer issues

Cookie Monster

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1684899_-_main.jpg

Tümosan has cancelled a contract with AVL List to help develop a local engine for Turkey's Altay MBT, after the imposition of technology transfer restrictions by Austria. Source: Otokar

Turkey's plans to build its Altay main battle tank (MBT) have hit a snag after Tümosan, the planned engine provider, cancelled a key technical support contract with Austria's AVL List GmbH.

The cancellation comes after Austria's parliament unanimously adopted a non-binding motion that imposed an arms embargo against Turkey in November 2016. As a result conditions were placed on the transfer of technology to Turkey. Austria made the move in response to Turkey's increasing violation of human rights since the failed military coup attempt in July 2016.

Tümosan has been tasked by the Turkish Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM) with developing a local engine for the Altay MBT. The company brought in Austrian firm AVL List in 2015 to provide technology transfer and support in the development and integration of engines into the Altay tank. Due to the imposition of conditions on technology transfer, Tümosan cancelled the contract with AVL List on 17 January.

"Due to the adoption by the Austrian government [of measures] to insist on export licences that include conditions that interfere in Turkey's domestic politics … the contract as recorded and revenue guarantee given by the company will be cancelled," Tümosan stated in a document published on Turkey's Public Disclosure Platform (KAP) on 17 January.

"It has been understood that there will be serious hurdles that (the company) will face in the transfer of technologies concerning critical sub-components because of sanctions being imposed against Turkey recently in particular by the European Union countries," it added.

The statement noted that instead, "Tümosan will go ahead with local suppliers as much as possible in the development of the engines".

Source: http://www.janes.com/article/67104/...ject-hit-by-engine-technology-transfer-issues

I am sure Turkey can achive Independence in this sector , only matter of time
I was not even aware Austria was helping Turkey in this Area

Lot of other sellers out there China / Germany etc for Tank Power plant but quite sure Turkey can develop one indegneously

Tank engines are not that difficult to develop or rare to find commodity. If Austria does not, another country will offer.

I am sure Turkey can achive Independence in this sector , only matter of time
I was not even aware Austria was helping Turkey in this Area

Lot of other sellers out there China / Germany etc for Tank Power plant but quite sure Turkey can develop one indegneously
China and Germany don't really work as that would just be an import of engine. Austria was supposed to be helping them develop an indigenous engine but they have backed out. Turkey definitely has the capability to develop one on its own it might take a bit longer though.

Reverse Engineer it , if it is matter of national security

During world war most of the tech was reverse engineered

But I was wondering since Pakistan operates the Al Khalid Tank and Turkey also have ambitions of a Tank , which seem to need an engine , makes sense to collaborate on Engine speed things up

Last edited:
Reverse Engineer it , if it is matter of national security

During world war most of the tech was reverse engineered

But I was wondering since Pakistan operates the Al Khalid Tank and Turkey also have ambitions of a Tank , which seem to need an engine , makes sense to collaborate on Engine speed things up

1200 HP engine to replace a 1500 HP engine?Al Khalid is a 46T Tank while Altay is a 65T Tank.

A reduction of 100-200 HP will only degrade performance to certain point won't impact bottom line
During a close battle , the Tanks are normally moving at modest pace / speed

God damn Europeans! I say Hello tur-xit . leave EU and Nato.

Put a russian tank engine in there.

Back
Top Bottom