What's new

Turkey to field new fighter by 2023, but slips utility helicopter choice

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Turkey to field new fighter by 2023, but slips utility helicopter choice

The Turkish air force could introduce an indigenous twin-engined fighter around 2023, according to the nation's Undersecretary of Defence Industries (SSM) procurement agency.

Plans for the "Turkish type fighter" were unveiled in Ankara on 15 December, with local company Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) named as general co-ordinator for the programme.

The SSM has allocated $20 million for an initial two-year design phase to be conducted by TAI, with the company to also be responsible for sourcing engines from a foreign supplier.

Under the SSM's plans, the new fighter would be available for service around 2023 as a replacement for the air force's McDonnell Douglas F-4s (below) and Lockheed Martin F-16 Block 30s. It would operate alongside the service's planned future fleet of 100 conventional take-off and landing F-35A Joint Strike Fighters, plus its later-model F-16s.

getAsset.aspx

Defence minister Vecdi Gonul says Ankara is aware of South Korea's plans to field a new fighter through its own KF-X programme. "It is not clear at the moment, but we will make cooperation about the next-generation fighter," he says. Korea Aerospace Industries is still seeking international partners for its KF-X development, with Indonesia also having expressed interest.

If confirmed, the decision would represent bad news for other fighter manufacturers, such as the Eurofighter consortium, which has long viewed Turkey as a potential future buyer for its multirole Typhoon.

Meanwhile, the SSM has again slipped a selection decision in the Turkish armed forces' 109-aircraft general utility helicopter contest.

SSM sources say the price of the rival AgustaWestland AW149 and Sikorsky S-70 Black Hawk bids were too high and that new negotiations will delay a decision until the agency's next procurement meeting in March 2011.

Boeing 747 and Airbus A380 Aircraft News from Flightglobal

Most likely investment in Project KF-X

I think Turkey will probably work on a Variant of KF-X which meet the indigenous Requirements, similar like that what India will do with PAK-FA Project.

Really the helicopter bid will move into 2011 ? Was it so hard to pick one of the two ? They were offering seriously nice deals.

I think Turkey will probably work on a Variant of KF-X which meet the indigenous Requirements, similar like that what India will do with PAK-FA Project.

Similar to what Pakistan has done with JFT.

India has done nothing with PAK-FA, other than false claims.

Ohh seriously when will it ended,I mean the Pak-Fa program.:what:
Dude Pak-Fa is still in developing face we can only say something about it after it's completion so please wait for it.

Keep thinking that if it makes you happy... either way India is still getting 50 PAK-FAs and FGFAs later. :wave:

Ohh seriously when will it ended,I mean the Pak-Fa program.:what:
Dude Pak-Fa is still in developing face we can only say something about it after it's completion so please wait for it.

No point, lets not derail the thread. The thread is about Turkey's airforce. Not a dick measuring competition.

So i take it our Block 30s will not be part of the CCIP program since they will be replaced. 40-50 Aircraft would probably be needed to replace both the block 30s and any left over F-4s. Granted the F-35 doesn't replace them all. Maybe some terminators would be kept in service longer. I was hoping we could replace them by 2020 but i guess the F-16CCIPs and F-35 will work till then.

Turkey to build ‘national, original’ fighter aircraft

Turkey's top defense procurement committee decided late Wednesday that Ankara would develop and manufacture its next air-to-air fighter aircraft, either by itself or in cooperation with another country, Defense Minister Vecdi Gönül said.

Gönül told reporters after a meeting of the Defense Industry Executive Committee that the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries, Turkey's procurement agency, would start talks with Turkish Aerospace Industries, the country's main aerospace company, for a "conceptual design" of a fighter aircraft and a jet trainer to be built after the year 2020.

"This … effectively is a decision for the making of Turkey's first fighter aircraft," he said.

Committee members include Gönül, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Chief of the General Staff Gen. Işık Koşaner and procurement chief Murad Bayar.

Gönül also said Turkey has rejected an offer by the Eurofighter consortium for the sale of Eurofighter Typhoon fighters. "The Eurofighter is off Turkey's agenda," he said.

The minister said Turkey may cooperate with South Korea, but implied that this is a small possibility. "We can manufacture the new fighter aircraft with them, we don't rule this out. But the decision we have taken now calls for the production of a totally national and original aircraft," he said.

The Eurofighter consortium, the Italian government and Italian companies had recently stepped up efforts for joint development and sale to Turkey of up to 60 jets. Italian Deputy Defense Minister Guido Crosetti in October said Rome wanted to develop a fighter aircraft with Turkey.

Seeking equal partnership

Separately, Turkish and South Korean officials earlier have said that Turkey, South Korea and Indonesia jointly may develop the South Korean-led KF-X fighter aircraft.

But Turkey is now stepping back from this option. "What we need is a true and equal partnership for the development of a fighter. The problem is that South Korea is not likely to agree to an equal partnership," a senior Turkish procurement told the Hürriyet Daily News & Economic Review, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Turkey already has selected the U.S.-led F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Lightning II as one of its next-generation fighter aircraft types. It plans to buy about 100 F-35 aircraft worth nearly $15 billion. Many Turkish companies are members of the Joint Strike Fighter consortium of nine Western countries, and are producing parts for the aircraft. Turkey also will receive 30 modern F-16 Block 50 fighters from Lockheed Martin as a stopgap solution until F-35 deliveries begin around 2015.

Minister Gönül said Turkey's newly designed fighter aircraft "would be a next-generation type, would replace the [U.S.-made] F-4Es and would function well with the F-16 and the F-35." He therefore confirmed that the new aircraft mostly would be meant for air-to-air fighting.

Meanwhile, a much expected selection of the military's next utility helicopter type did not come at the Defense Industry Executive Committee meeting. AgustaWestland and Sikorsky Aircraft are vying for the joint manufacture of 109 helicopters, worth up to $4 billion.

"The offers … were insufficient," Gönül said. "Talks with both companies will continue, but we think that they should reduce their prices."

good luck to turks...with the already established industry they should be able to do a commendable job... hope they will cross the finish line by sticking to the date... we should be able to see AMCA and there fighter at the same time..

That seems to be the most practical first time approach to me. The Korean programme also has the backing of Indonesian hand which could possibly make your involvement as a trilateral agreement between the three countries in terms of knowledge, cost, benefit and risk sharing.

I do not think going alone at such a project especially after years of reliance on American imports would be possible in a span of 10 to 13 years time. The Korean programme has a lot of potential owing to the strong industrial base of South Korea and Turkey's own strong industrial base would only add positive effect to the programme.

as far as i understand from what vecdi gönül has said that we wont involve kf-x project..i suppose we will go on our own with a technical asisstance..vecdi gönül said that the JSF project will be the last multi-national project we involved..

Back
Top Bottom