What's new

Turkey aiming for nuclear weapons ?

-SINAN-

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Ankara ‘adds’ uranium clause in nuclear deal with Tokyo

Ankara demanded allowance for uranium enrichment and plutonium extraction in a nuclear export deal inked with Tokyo, a Japanese daily quoted as a Japanese Foreign Ministry official as saying.

A clause, which was added in the nuclear agreement signed by the two nations, upon Turkey’s demand prompted concerns over a possible proliferation of nuclear weapons.

The clause at issue allows Turkey to enrich uranium and extract plutonium, potentially creating nuclear material for weapons, Japanese daily Asahi Shimbun reported on Jan. 8.

A senior Japanese Foreign Ministry official claimed the clause was added at the request of Turkey, the daily also reported.

A joint venture involving Japan’s Mitsubishi Heavy Industries has won an order to construct Turkey’s second nuclear plant in the Black Sea province of Sinop.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who was in Japan since Jan. 5, and his Japanese counterpart, Shinzo Abe, had signed a $22 billion deal on the nuclear plant project.

The pact paves the way for exporting Japan’s enrichment and spent nuclear fuel reprocessing technologies and is expected to be discussed at the Japanese Parliament soon before voting on its approval.

The deal was on the agenda during a meeting between the Turkish and Japanese prime ministers on Jan. 7 in Tokyo, as they have agreed to accelerate the process.

Japanese exports and anti-nuclear opposition members voice concerns over Japan’s first nuclear export after the Fukushima disaster, claiming allowing Turkey’s enrichment and extraction activities would contradict Japan’s stance against nuclear weapons.

ENERGY - Ankara ‘adds’ uranium clause in nuclear deal with Tokyo

turkey is member of NATO. they why they seperately need nuclear weapons??

Some recent related news.

First Turkish uranium mine granted operation licences
Licences have been granted for the development of Turkey's first uranium mine. Anatolia Energy plans to start work at the Temrezli project so that production can begin in 2016

First Turkish mine granted operation licences

Rolls-Royce To Help Turkey Develop Nuclear Supply Chains

The MoU provides a roadmap for developing a nuclear qualified supply chain capable of delivering equipment and services to the new reactors planned to be built in Turkey.

Rolls-Royce to support Turkey's plans for civil nuclear power - Rolls-Royce

Turkey’s nuke hopes warrant homegrown atomic education
Around 200 Turkish students have studied nuclear power technology in Russia until now, however Turkey is in need of devising its own nuclear education ¬curriculum to be able to establish its future plants by itself, said Akkuyu Nuclear Power Plant Vice President Rauf Kasumov yesterday.

A total of 600 students will study nuclear power technology in Russia.

ENERGY - Turkey’s nuke hopes warrant homegrown atomic education

A total of 600 students will study nuclear power technology in Russia.
I think you guys need to change the plan a bit, since Russian's technology is not the best ;)
Chernobyl disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unless you are looking for having a sooner nuclear blast :lol::lol::lol:
PS. In contrast to for example Iran, You guys can receive the technology from reliable technology owners and send students to Japan, Europe or USA. I don't get it why your government does not do so.:-)

Last edited:
I think you guys need to change the plan a bit, since Russian's technology is not the best ;)
PS. In contrast to for example Iran, You guys can receive the technology from reliable technology owners and send students to Japan, Europe or USA. I don't get it why your government does not do so.:-)

This could be the answer mate. ;)

The Turkish-Japanese technology university will be based in Istanbul.

Japan is currently building a nuclear power plant in the Black Sea city of Sinop, which is expected to become operational in 2023, the 100th anniversary of the founding of the modern Turkish republic.

Turkey, Japan to set up university | Science & Technology | World Bulletin

Lets be realistic here; 1- Turkey doesnt need Nuclear Weapons
2- Turkey wont go for Nukes unless it wants to destroy the bridges with The West
3- Once in a while we see such reports...Dont fall for it

Lets be realistic here; 1- Turkey doesnt need Nuclear Weapons
2- Turkey wont go for Nukes unless it wants to destroy the bridges with The West
3- Once in a while we see such reports...Dont fall for it

Mate, from what i read from, i can conclude that.

1-)We will mine and use Uranium in our reactors.

2- )We are getting know-how for for building Nuclear reactor parts. On a short notice we were all ready building reactor parts but we are getting know how this time. Türkiye Almanya'ya 'teknoloji' sattı | EKONOMİ | DW.DE | 28.02.2012

3-) We will have qualified Nuclear Engineers in a few years.

Nuclear Engineer:
Current research in the industry is directed at producing economical, proliferation-resistant reactor designs with passive safety features. They also study a myriad of other issues such as nuclear fuels and nuclear fuel cycles, advanced reactor designs, and nuclear weapon design and maintenance

4-) We will have the Know-How of uranium enrichment and plutonium extraction.

I'm not suggesting anything or making assumptions. Just connect the dots.

Chernobyl disaster has nothing to do with the study of nuclear power. It was an electrical failure which caused the malfunction.

Mate, from what i read from, i can conclude that.

1-)We will mine and use Uranium in our reactors.

2- )We are getting know-how for for building Nuclear reactor parts. On a short notice we were all ready building reactor parts but we are getting know how this time. Türkiye Almanya'ya 'teknoloji' sattı | EKONOMİ | DW.DE | 28.02.2012

3-) We will have qualified Nuclear Engineers in a few years.
Nuclear Engineer: Current research in the industry is directed at producing economical, proliferation-resistant reactor designs with passive safety features. They also study a myriad of other issues such as nuclear fuels and nuclear fuel cycles, advanced reactor designs, and nuclear weapon design and maintenance

4-) We will have the Know-How of uranium enrichment and plutonium extraction.

I'm not suggesting anything or making assumptions. Just connect the dots.

I think all of these plans can be very good in the long term. Turkey can reach West European living standards such as GDP per capita, ... in the next 15-20 years. at that time, by following these plans, you would have all the means and power and technology to decide to go for making nukes or not. In that condition, West won't be able to oppose Turkey. Another scenario is having a policy like Japan. Japan can make nukes in 48 hours, but they don't do it for obvious reasons, so, they maintain their ability for producing nukes in the case of special events.

I think all of these plans can be very good in the long term. Turkey can reach West European living standards such as GDP per capita, ... in the next 15-20 years. at that time, by following these plans, you would have all the means and power and technology to decide to go for making nukes or not. In that condition, West won't be able to oppose Turkey. Another scenario is having a policy like Japan. Japan can make nukes in 48 hours, but they don't do it for obvious reasons, so, they maintain their ability for producing nukes in the case of special events.

I honestly, don't believe we will go for Nukes... but it seems like we will have the necessary tools to build if everything goes in according to plan, like in your Japan example.

Chernobyl disaster has nothing to do with the study of nuclear power. It was an electrical failure which caused the malfunction.
Buddy, I am an electrical engineer myself, but I don't know what they mean by "Electrical Failure". All important Electrical Circuits, have some "Protecting Circuits", for these cases. honestly, It seems an excuse, and over simplification of the case for me ;)
IMO, Based on the very close system of USSR, they have not tell the true and complete story and made some excuses ;)

Most Turks don't want Nuclear in their Country is what I heard from Bacheshir students.

The neighborhood Turkey's in, not the brightest of places to go Nuclear. igtg type more later

In the report they said there was a current surge. Of course, it was their own report so they could have lied. But you do know Germany was the first country to develop nukes? And CIA brought them over to the US to work for them.

Buddy, I am an electrical engineer myself, but I don't know what they mean by "Electrical Failure". All important Electrical Circuits, have some "Protecting Circuits", for these cases. honestly, It seems an excuse, and over simplification of the case for me ;)
IMO, Based on the very close system of USSR, they have not tell the true and complete story and made some excuses ;)

There have been nuclear disasters in the US as well as in Japan, so what does it have to do with technology?, if you count the number of nuclear reactors in Russia and their reliability over very long periods of time, you, will understand that human error is mostly the cause of those disasters , apart from natural causes like powerful earthquakes or even a tsunami.

Back
Top Bottom