What's new

Traditional clothing from the Arab world.

i have read about salwar kameezs on wiki and nowhere does it mention it belongs to any arab country.it says salwar kameez originated in iran and then brought to india and pak.i am pretty sure the women in salwars might be following some pakistani fashion or might have been inspired by bollywood.

First of all no Arabs know what the hell a Shalwar is. Secondly that is one of the many regional varieties of a Arab Omani traditional dress. Whatever it resembles other similar dresses from other parts of the world is completely irrelevant. Arab/Semitic clothes has influenced many non-Arab countries since ancient times. Especially Arab ones in the Islamic world.

Here is the link from the origin of the picture:

National Dress - Women

Now this is not about Indian dresses so please leave that alone. This is an Arab dress. End of discussion. We Arabs have a wealth of colorful dresses and very diverse since the Arab world is HUGE. Alone on the Arabian Peninsula we have a big, big diversity. Yemen is famous for this. Each region, town, hell even tribe, has it's own distinct clothes depending on the occasion. You might not believe that but I showed it more than well in this thread.

I don't see the need for now 2 Indian members to claim Arab dresses as Indian. What is the point other than trolling and showing ignorance?

This thread was my try of showing the many colorful and diverse traditional Arab dresses from KSA, Yemen and in general other parts of the Arabian Peninsula and the Arab world but in return I was met with trolling posts, off-topic posts, post of no value and now this on the last 2 pages. All which destroys a thread and make us start these pointless discussions.

Look Pakistani tribal clothes :unsure:

when did arabs started wearing shalwars?.. as far as i know arabs wear long gowns we call them jhabla in punjabi.. like those arab kings we see on TV.

2djrl2.jpg

I was thinking were i saw those sort of clothes and yes that's what Baluch women and people of some area of Hormozgan province in south Iran wear traditionally .
but al-hasani said those picture are from Oman and I must say the amount of cultural influence in omman and northern shore of Persian gulf and sea of Oman is to the extent that many times it would be hard to differentiate them if you are not knowing which one is which beforehand .

and @al-Hasani Shalwar is pant or trousers which is ancient Iranian tribes clothes (our ancestors needed it for riding horses) and Kameez is a style of Shalwar which is specially wore in Pakistan and Baluchistan of Iran and Afghanistan . if you look at the pant that those women wear you'll see what is it .

Last edited by a moderator:
2djrl2.jpg

I was thinking were i saw those sort of clothes and yes that's what Baluch women and people of some area of Hormozgan province in south Iran wear traditionally .
but al-hasani said those picture are from Oman and I must say the amount of cultural influence in omman and northern shore of Persian gulf and sea of Oman is to the extent that many times it would be hard to differentiate them if you are not knowing which one is which beforehand .

and @al-Hasani Shalwar is pant or trousers which is ancient Iranian tribes clothes (our ancestors needed it for riding horses) and Kameez is a style of Shalwar which is specially wore in Pakistan and Baluchistan of Iran and Afghanistan . if you look at the pant that those women wear you'll see what is it .

ERRRR....Kameez is the long shirt while shalwar is the pants....

Does not matter what it is. We Arabs and Semitic people have ancient traditional clothes that is not influenced by any other areas only by fellow Semitic population and civilizations which are the oldest in the world.

That is some of the traditional Omani Arab attire and I already gave you a link that proves that. This has nothing to do with Pakistan, India or whatever country.

National Dress - Women

All the countries in the Arab world and especially the Arabian Peninsula have an deeply rooted Semitic and Arabian culture in everything. Omani culture is basically a mixture of Arabian and Yemeni culture, especially the clothes.

Anyway this is a thread about traditional Arab clothing and nothing else.

Does not matter what it is. We Arabs and Semitic people have ancient traditional clothes that is not influenced by any other areas only by fellow Semitic population and civilizations which are the oldest in the world.

That is some of the traditional Omani Arab attire and I already gave you a link that proves that. This has nothing to do with Pakistan, India or whatever country.

National Dress - Women

All the countries in the Arab world and especially the Arabian Peninsula have an deeply rooted Semitic and Arabian culture in everything. Omani culture is basically a mixture of Arabian and Yemeni culture, especially the clothes.

Anyway this is a thread about traditional Arab clothing and nothing else.

you knew there is no doubt that Arabs have clothes that didn't get influenced by other people but certainly those clothes in that picture is not one of them and specially as you mentioned Oman you must knew they have been influenced by northern shore of Persian Gulf and Sea of Oman far far more than the rest of arabic Peninsula . those area is one part of the penisula that was interested far more than the rest by foreign powers and for many years those area were ruled by foreigners and also in older days when there was no UAE it was Oman which was the target of commerce and trade in southern shore of Sea of Oman and strait of Hormoz and it was natural that they get influenced by foreign culture

a2d7jt.jpg

were is it from I have always taught this style belong to Syria

and this one I taught belong to KSA
feow1k.jpg

The other way round actually....We have longer kameez as compared to India...at least since 2011...Before our kameez were also getting shorter like anything...

It depends on the fashion...

BTW, shalwar kameez is usually taken as 1 word meaning the lebaz (attire) where the Shalwar is the pants and the Kameez is the top (shirt) as I said in my previous post...

We were comparing how the clothes looks similar...Not sure WHO started it...But sure enough there is similarities...I am not sure HOW you can deny similarities...NO ONE is trying to take your civilization or roots...We are just showing you that THE CLOTHES HAVE SIMILARITIES ...SIMPLE!

n da short ones r soon cumin again i heard:girl_wink:

No, that is Arab clothing. We can see which civilizations are older and what influenced most. That Omani clothing might have similarities with other peoples clothes, after all Arabic/Semitic clothing has inspired most Islamic clothes in regions outside of the Arab world and headscarfs were first worn in our part of the world (known at least many thousands of years ago) but my point is that the clothing is Omani and Arab and not anything else.

Oman has an Arab and Semitic past, history and culture. Their clothing and culture is most similar to Yemen in almost everything. The only group that this might fit with are the Baluch immigrants but majority of them are not even citizens and they are not locals. I suggest you visit Oman and see for yourself. One of the most traditional Arab countries.

Oman was a soverign country and is the world's oldest Sultanate and even had possessions in East Africa and the Omani Sultan even ruled Zanzibar not long ago. This is why Arab influences are very strong on the Horn of Africa and Eastern Africa (Swahili coast - itself a Arabic word and their language, culture etc. is very influenced by Arabic one and many people have Arab ancestry). Even their language.

Talon: This was not to your post but the 2 Indians before and the off-topic posts.

a2d7jt.jpg

were is it from I have always taught this style belong to Syria

and this one I taught belong to KSA
feow1k.jpg

Oh, there is no KSA style. This depends on the region, LOL. Like saying there is one Chinese style or one Indian style. KSA is a huge country. Depends very much on the region, area, sometimes even city, geography, sect, tribe etc. We have HUNDREDS of traditional clothing as I already told and people can see that in this thread. First is also worn in KSA and most countries on the Peninsula. This is normal Arabian clothing.

Syria has a different style. Not posted one picture from Syria yet. Only country from Levant I have posted is Jordan and then 2 from Iraq (not Levant though) (Iraqi Arab sheikhs and that gathering in Baghdad on the first page of this thread in traditional Arab/Arabian clothes)

Last one is from Yemen. But again similarities are seen and most countries have a diverse clothing that is used by most Arab countries on the Arabian Peninsula, Levant and Iraq. For example the Keffiyeh is worn in all of the Arabian Peninsula (less so in Yemen and Oman), Iraq and Levant.

2djrl2.jpg

its not a pant :laugh: but a shirt long or short dat is wore above da pant or trouser

2dl6tg8.jpg

2rylpy1.jpg

2qmj69x.jpg

9qdzbp.jpg

j6775w.jpg

2i95w86.jpg

@Aeronaut

Will you please delete the off-topic posts and posts of no value that do not display traditional Arab clothing? I did not use my time to show the diversity of the traditional clothing on mainly the Arabian Peninsula and parts of the Levant for the thread to be destroyed by trolling. Much appreciated. Once infected by trolling you know very well what can happen and usually happens on this forum.

RaptorRX707:

Learn the difference between traditional clothing, regional etc. such as all those I posted from KSA, Yemen and other Arab countries and religious one like the niqab which is a religious symbol more than anything else.

Unfortunately the world never gets to see what you described as traditional Arab dresses for women on Arabian woman.

The outfits for women look very colorful.

By the way a,

Prince Talals wife is one fine looking sister
red beans and rice certainly missed her.

Had to troll a litle
!!!

when did arabs started wearing shalwars?.. as far as i know arabs wear long gowns we call them jhabla in punjabi.. like those arab kings we see on TV.

mayb it wz som fashion or dress show where thy presentd different cultures n their dressin style....otherwise i never seen or heard arab women wearin thez dress on daily basis:undecided:

I am sorry, but this thread is not about "Persian" dresses, my friend or any other clothes that is not Arab. Please don't go off-topic or delete/remove your post.

sorry thn it wud becom very borin n short livd thread cuz in arab countries,women n men r wearin same type of clothes frm centuries like women wear black robes,same style just different colors n men thoz white robes wid different head turbans....

so to make it intrestin,include som othr muslim countires too cuz thy have variety...:police:

I am sorry, but this thread is not about "Persian" dresses, my friend or any other clothes that is not Arab. Please don't go off-topic or delete/remove your post.

@Aeronaut

Where are you? Can you please clean this thread up and leave all the posts that are actually relevant and delete all the off-topic, trolling and posts of no value? Let us stick to the topic. I actually used a considerable amount of time to make this thread and I find it rather annoying that it gets hijacked.

Tell people to make separate threads about what they are discussing now. Nobody is stopping them, certainly not me.

Much appreciated.

y r u cryin like a baby:what: ok we wudnt post othr pics of different cultures:blink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom