What's new

Makkah and the hajj in the 1880's, photos of pilgrims from across the world

Great picture's @al-Hasani bro, please keep posting. The old pictures show how Makkah and Hajj was crucial for the unity and interaction of the many nations who are members of the Muslim family of nations, for business, trade, economics and diplomacy. Fortunately today, we can connect via PDF everyday, so I have great hope for the future of the Muslim world (Sunni particularly), even though we are still going through some rough patches today.

You are very welcome brother. The hajj was indeed as important at it is today. You have to remember that the world population just 130 years ago was 6 times lower or so if not seven. So the proportions of pilgrims were more or less the same despite there not being planes, cars etc.

I love the diversity already back then. It is something that has characterized Hijaz since the beginnings of Islam.

Jeddah for example was for a long time and still is the trading hub in the Red Sea and one of the trading hubs in West Asia. It connected the Arabian Peninsula with Africa, remaining Asia and Europe through trade, business, migration etc.

Insha'Allah it will only get better. It has to.

@al-Hasani @Arabian Legend @Yzd Khalifa @BLACKEAGLE - My Mom & Dad went for Hajj this year....they just came back yesterday ! :)

Why the hell did you guys sent Rice & Lamb from the King at Arafat or Minna - Why not Al Baik ? :cray:

The newly appointed President was in Hajj, accompanied by not less than 100K. It is impolite for the Saudis to send Al-Baik to a highly profile mission such as Pakistan's.

And why am I involved in this?:pop:

Why am I involved he asks ? :blink:

You're one of the biggest cheerleaders of the Saudis here & you're surprised when I mention you alongside them ! :unsure:

Oi brothers @Arabian Legend @Yzd Khalifa @al-Hasani - Kick this sorry excuse for a Jordanian Eunuch out of the Kingdom - Cancel his Visa or better yet ask his Kafeel to make an Example out of him ! :)

Why am I involved he asks ? :blink:

You're one of the biggest cheerleaders of the Saudis here & you're surprised when I mention you alongside them ! :unsure:

Oi brothers @Arabian Legend @Yzd Khalifa @al-Hasani - Kick this sorry excuse for a Jordanian Eunuch out of the Kingdom - Cancel his Visa or better yet ask his Kafeel to make an Example out of him ! :)

Do you think I'm a Pakistani? :oops: If I wasn't respected well, I wouldn't have stayed in the first place. The management is wonderful however.:dirol:

Do you think I'm a Pakistani? :oops: If I wasn't respected well, I wouldn't have stayed in the first place. The management is wonderful however.:dirol:

Oh Shut Up You ! :mad:

We Pakistanis are so widespread over there that even the Saudi Mutawaas have learned Broken Urdu or so my Mom & Dad experienced at the Hajj ! :o:

But @al-Hasani @Arabian Legend & @Yzd Khalifa - Love us Pakistanis ! :smitten:

Oh Shut Up You ! :mad:

We Pakistanis are so widespread over there that even the Saudi Mutawaas have learned Broken Urdu or so my Mom & Dad experienced at the Hajj ! :o:

But @al-Hasani @Arabian Legend & @Yzd Khalifa - Love us Pakistanis ! :smitten:

Urdu has a lot of words of Arabic origin and uses an slightly modified Arabic alphabet just like many other languages in the Muslim world do. Arabic is the lingua franca of the Islamic world and always was.

My theory is that the reason why many clerics have a bad understanding of Islam is due to them not understanding Classical Arabic (Quranic). Even some in the Arab world too. By far most of the Islamic sources and literature is written in Arabic.

Arabic is such a rich language that has influenced many languages across the world. Muslim as non-Muslim. Did you for example know that Spanish and Portuguese (both one of the most spoken languages in the "Western/Christian world" have 20-25% of their vocabulary originating from Arabic?:o:

Urdu has a lot of words of Arabic origin and uses an slightly modified Arabic alphabet just like many other languages in the Muslim world do. Arabic is the lingua franca of the Islamic world and always was.

My theory is that the reason why many clerics have a bad understanding of Islam is due to them not understanding Classical Arabic (Quranic). Even some in the Arab world too. By far most of the Islamic sources and literature is written in Arabic.

Arabic is such a rich language that has influenced many languages across the world. Muslim as non-Muslim. Did you for example know that Spanish and Portuguese (both one of the most spoken languages in the "Western/Christian world" have 20-25% of their vocabulary originating from Arabic?:o:

Urdu does indeed has some loan-words from Arabic but many...many more from Persian...heck even our writing style is called Nastaliq & thats the Persian Style of Writing ! :)

And Urdu is our Lingua Franca ! :smokin:

Urdu does indeed has some loan-words from Arabic but many...many more from Persian...heck even our writing style is called Nastaliq & thats the Persian Style of Writing ! :)

And Urdu is our Lingua Franca ! :smokin:

That might be the case but Farsi is full of Arabic loanwords too and uses an Arabic alphabet with only 4 new added letters.

Beat that.:sniper:

Arabic is the lingua franca of the Islamic world. Always was and always will be.:bunny:

I think the gentleman in the video at 1:28 is the Shaibi I met.

That might be the case but Farsi is full of Arabic loanwords too and uses an Arabic alphabet with only 4 new added letters.

Beat that.:sniper:

Arabic is the lingua franca of the Islamic world. Always was and always will be.:bunny:

Arabic - the Lingua Franca of the Islamic World ? :sarcastic:

We Ajmis (non-Arabs) out number you guys by something like 5 to 1 ! :haha:

So its our languages that are the dominant Languages of the Muslim World ! :smokin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom