What's new

Three attacks in Lahore - Attackers killed, Hostages Rescued, Operation Successful!

Witnesses at the scene of Thursday's attack on the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) building in Pakistan's second city of Lahore, in which at least seven people died, say the gunmen were calm and focused.
They armed themselves in a lane near the offices and then walked out firing at the FIA compound.
"I was walking down the road to have breakfast with my friend," said Shaukat Ali. "All of a sudden, a neighbour yelled: 'Run! An attack is taking place!'

I was so close to death that I still cannot believe how I am alive
Sub-inspector Javed Shabbir

I saw a man of mixed complexion with a light beard firing as he ran. He even fired on the mosque as he ran past."
Mr Ali said the man then ran into the FIA building. Shortly afterwards, the sound of firing and explosions filled the air.
"I saw two men I knew were not residents sitting in my street," said Mohammad Tufail.
"They had two big bags with them. I asked them if they were smoking hashish, and they replied affirmatively. I told them not to do that, and then went into my home.
"A little while later I heard the sound of firing outside. When I came out, I saw one of the men with the bags firing at the FIA building from the street corner."
Security check
Not far from the FIA building is a pile of rubble - the remains of the agency's former offices which were destroyed by a suicide car bombing in 2008.

Since the attack, visitors have had to pass through a reception area and security check before they can enter the main building.
It was inside the reception that one of the attackers blew himself up, killing two police officials and several civilians.
One of the police officers carrying out the security checks said he was still in a state of shock after his narrow escape.
"I was so close to death that I still cannot believe how I am alive," Sub-inspector Javed Shabbir said.
"The attacker ran at us throwing grenades and firing indiscriminately. But the security personnel fired back preventing him from reaching the main building.
"He was hit and then blew himself up."
Local anger
Hassan Anwari, a lawyer who lives nearby, said he had seen two young men running very quickly.

Residents say security bases should not be in densely-populated areas
"Another young man of about 19 or 20 was running in the same direction," he said.
"He was firing a sub-machine gun and had a knapsack on his back. Fortunately though, none of those bystanders trying to escape were shot."
Following the attack, local residents said they had long complained about the location of the FIA building, as it had become a frequent target and endangered their families' lives.
"Everybody knows that the terrorists are targeting government installations," said Azmat Lodhi, another local lawyer.
"Their premises should not be located in such densely-populated areas. The offices must be relocated immediately."

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Lahore gunmen 'calm and focused'

The above article is the eye witness report posted on bbc and Pay attention to the highlighted part. Now why would that have to be done. I am not trying to start a debate here just trying to figure out the reason.

Nadeem Piracha

In Pakistan, the audacious has become the norm. The terrorist attack in Lahore today – along with the many that have taken place in the last many years in this unfortunate country – may seem something out of ordinary anywhere else in the world, but not in Pakistan.

Pakistan it seems stopped being part of the ‘normal’ world a long time ago. Nothing’s impossible here when it comes to faith-driven terrorism. Now everyday the terrorists manage to mock and dodge the government and the state, almost at will. Nobody and nothing’s safe.

One can go on criticizing the state’s many intelligence agencies and the government for exhibiting utter ignorance and helplessness in anticipating terrorist acts that have been repeated over and over again using almost exactly the same ways and techniques and impacting the same venerable areas and spots, but I’d rather take a more self-critical view of the whole damn nightmare.

What is it that makes these terrorists so sure and confident about themselves?
It’s simple. We do!

It is the sheer hesitancy that we show towards fully realizing the grave dangers these terrorists hold, and a weird, inexplicable sense and understanding of reality that most Pakistanis look to be suffering from, that gives these terrorists the psychological edge and opening; providing them as convoluted a justification to commit acts of barbarism in the fine name of God, as is our own habit of ending up actually recognizing their many deeds as being either a sympathetic socio-political outcome, or, of course, a wild conspiracy by our many (some largely imagined) enemies lingering on our borders.

The TV channels and drawing-rooms will be abuzz for a day or two discussing the mayhem, but very few Pakistanis actually take the time they get during the lull periods to reflect as to what has happened to their country and its people.

Instead, these lull periods are spent going right back to flexing our pulpy rhetorical muscles and sharpening of our non-existent teeth against our ‘enemies.’

Amazingly, as politicians, TV talk show hosts, clerics, the chattering classes and journalists all get together for a collective show of inspired morning and bemoaning against our ‘corrupt politicians’ and ‘government of beggars,’ we so conveniently forget that at the moment nothing’s as bad or more troublesome an issue in this country as terrorism.

But it is not general apathy or distracted energies of the people that the extremists are feeding on; it is a collective case of denial on the part of an increasing number of Pakistanis that is strengthening these extremists.
First of all, it is a fact that violence-prone extremism was ironically the creation of the CIA, with patronage provided by Arab petro-dollars and the local intelligence agencies such as the ISI. There is not an iota of doubt about the history of these agencies using the concept of jihad as a calling card to gather fighters for the so-called ‘Afghan jihad’ in the 1980s. A string of radical Islamic scholars were used along with the state-owned media and madressahs to fervently indoctrinate a huge number of young Muslims.

More dangerous was the way droplets of this aggressive strain started to trickle down to shape the sociology and politics of Pakistanis who are not extremists. That’s why, for example, today, if you mention names like Musharraf, Zardari. Altaf Hussain or Nawaz Sharif, one won’t be surprised to see a number of Pakistanis leap into to action, getting into an animated mode, criticising and lambasting corrupt politicians and power-hungry generals. However, the moment you try to discuss a recent episode of suicide bombing, most Pakistanis can then be seen suddenly going into a shell, trying to avoid the topic.

The majority will not condone suicide bombings and terrorism, but they will not condemn it either – or at least the way it should be condemned. No wonder, according to a recent survey, most Pakistanis actually believe terrorism is a secondary problem in their country – rather obnoxious a delusion indeed.

And that’s dangerous. Some Pakistanis would avoid discussing the issue altogether, actually believing that maybe criticising the ‘holy warriors’ (no matter how violent they may be), is like criticising Islam, while some would gladly become navel-gazing apologists of such acts, pointing their finger at the every ready list of imagined enemies who want to ‘destabilise Pakistan.’

Whom should we blame, seems to be the question on their mind. The thinking is that blaming the extremists is perhaps equal to agreeing with Zardari and the US. It is this narrow, egocentric mentality, coupled with echoes of years and years of indoctrination of a contradictory and xenophobic strain of Islam that has left a bulk of Pakistanis apathetically suffering from and subdued by matters such as extremism and terrorism.

What Musharraf represented or what this present government is all about in the form of the establishment comes with a historical and visible baggage. It is thus a target that can be clearly seen, pinpointed and attacked, whereas extremism remains an elusive enemy. Some would even go to the extent of negating its very existence, in spite of the ubiquitous sights of blood, bodies and limbs quivering on blackened streets.

So, it is not general apathy or distracted energies of the people that the extremists are feeding on; it is a collective case of denial on the part of a number of Pakistanis that is strengthening the extremists. A denial made worse by the animated apologists found babbling and foaming incoherent and unsubstantiated drivel across the many TV screens and channels of the nation.

Though it is true the terrorists are not popular with the masses, it is also true that most Pakistanis have yet to perceive the extremists as the kind of enemy that they really are. With ready-made explanations like RAW, CIA and that ‘fellow Muslims are being subjected to state atrocities in the north’ spiel being their best answers to the madness of extremism and terrorism, it is highly unlikely to expect Pakistanis to tackle the issue anytime soon – in spite the fact that maybe it’s already too late.

First of Allah Let's recite Fateha for brave sons of soil who laid down their lives to safe many more.

May Allah give them Ajra-e-Azeem hereafter and condolence for their families.

2ndly,Congrats to all security forces who participated in the operations to get rid of these terrorists.

3rdly, I want to know... When will we learn something specially our agencies and police. Why these schools and FIA building was penetrated same way. Why walls were left unprotected. We all know all over the world such places are secured by putting Bob wires over walls so that entering through walls can be made difficult. Next there were no guard towers build. Elite Training school is a vast complex with huge perimeter there must had some kind of watch towers...It is time these arrangements being made ASAP. We must put some like this on walls on sensitive locations or have something like this

4thly, Anybody thinking that this is happening out of desperation as out beloved and inept interior minister is trying to tell masses after every attack..let me tell you this is part of big plan. Just check the timings of this new wave... Soon a debate is going to trigger that our intelligence setup is very week and need to be revamped..and everybody know what that's mean w.r.t. government's intentions to take control over ISI.

Last but no least... Now it is proven that terrorists from Punjab have string links with TTP and Alqaeda.So it is necessary to cut manpower supplies from South Punjab to SWA and launch operations in Madrasahs in SP before going into SWA by foot.

There is a lot of **** sitting in high places protecting there pets at all cost.

Intelligence failures? Possibly.

Security failures? Not so sure.

Arguably there was a security failure at the Manawan academy, where the attackers got into the training grounds using the exact same method as last time - scaling a rather low boundary wall, which was supposed to have been raised since the last attack, and were able to inflict a number of casualties.

Beyond that, once the attack has not been preempted by intelligence and LEA's, the chances of casualties are pretty high since the terrorists will get at least one shot at the target.

At the FIA building they did not make it past the reception area - so successfully thwarted, and at the Elite Police Academy they were gunned down with no loss of innocent life, so again thwarted.

Manawan is the failure here. Had the walls been raised to where scaling them was no so easy, the terrorists would have had to use the entrances, and likely would have been stopped without the loss of life we saw. And even with that security failure, the loss of life was minimized, so it was not a completely successful attack from the terrorists perspective either.

is it true that aqeel/dr usman was arrested previously as well after the srilankan bus attack, and then released?

there are so many rumors from the silly urdu media, it is hard to say what is true anymore.

There is a lot of **** sitting in high places protecting there pets at all cost.

Do you have any idea who these terrorist-sympathizing scumbags within the military could be?

I would think the support for TTP and other jihadis within the Army must've been marginalized considering the terrorist scumbags were desperate enough to target GHQ. However, there still might be a few dangerous rats within the ranks.

http://img94.imageshack.us/i/ostrichheadsand2.gif/
NO NO NO NO its NOt Talibans its India we will stick with that till its our turn :hitwall::hitwall:

Blaming India does not do any good..you are keeping a blind eye on the real problem..The Taliban is a pain in the *** not only for Pakistan but also the entire world..its about time to eliminate them all..The Pakistan army is fully capable of doing that..my condolences for those who died for their country and hope that their lives did not gone in vein ...

R.I.P to the fallen

this is just getting ridiculous kill all these b@stards they want to die for their "jihad" so badly pak army will be glad to oblige them.

NO NO NO NO its NOt Talibans its India we will stick with that till its our turn :hitwall::hitwall:

They are Taliban no.
They are TTP.... no doubt.
They have indian and US wepons..... no doubt.
They come from Afghanistan..... no doubt.
They go back to Afghanistan....no doubt.

Taliban is a pain in the *** not only for Pakistan but also the entire world..
Taliban and Al-Qaeeda are friendly to india and US. They are only enimies of Pakistan.

its about time to eliminate them all..The Pakistan army is fully capable of doing that..
What about recent indian buildup on borders and your history of invading Pakistan in such situations?

Back
Top Bottom