What's new

The USAF's Much Maligned A-10 Warthogs Are Deploying To Fight ISIS

Considering modern day warfare,

Don't you think it would make economic and military sense to bring back prop craft ?

the enemy almost never will have an air force, or anti aircraft weapons to speak of.

Thus, assigning prop air craft to comb larger area with slow speed, agility and dirt cheap maintenance may make more sense.

Drones do all the above very well; however countries that do not possess expensive satellite linked real time networks
will have to opt for prop air crafts.

really ?

Sukhoi Su-25 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The real counterpart of A 10 would be IL 102.

It was canceled and Su 25 got go ahead.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...2oCwAg&usg=AFQjCNFe4cz-LRwT2tvDdqFet651K_YrWw

Don't you think it would make economic and military sense to bring back prop craft ?

the enemy almost never will have an air force, or anti aircraft weapons to speak of.

Thus, assigning prop air craft to comb larger area with slow speed, agility and dirt cheap maintenance may make more sense.

Drones do all the above very well; however countries that do not possess expensive satellite linked real time networks
Nothing personal, but I have a problem with your conception of what is 'modern day' warfare.

The reality is that you should arm for peers, not for non-peers, and that works both ways for us and our potential enemies. That means you pick the country that can kick your azs and build your military upon that possibility. If you cannot, either on your own or by purchase from others, then you must always live in perpetual worry that one day you might end up like Kuwait, who purchased its defense.

Nothing personal, but I have a problem with your conception of what is 'modern day' warfare.

The reality is that you should arm for peers, not for non-peers, and that works both ways for us and our potential enemies. That means you pick the country that can kick your azs and build your military upon that possibility. If you cannot, either on your own or by purchase from others, then you must always live in perpetual worry that one day you might end up like Kuwait, who purchased its defense.

Wrong choice of words maybe;

Modern day air warfare since WW2 has been dominated by the jet engine, whereby emphasis was to penetrate enemy airspace as fast as possible and deliver the initial blows too fast, and too high.

However in my opinion, the current threat from south asia to western africa is from indigenous movements; small to meidum rouge groups which are high in numbers and spread in civil areas.

Thus, my argument that it is too expensive to employ Jet AC to constantly keep flying and keep taking small targets out ( truck, APC, or compunds ).

My point is proven by the fact that drones are being employed already; however countries who do not have long range real time networks can not make full use of drones.

I am not negating the usefulness of jets, they will remain and form the spearhead of fast, deep hit and run operations before slower, numerous and cheaper may take over for combing land for pockets of resistance.

Large in numbers, mostly untrained conscripts.

The air force and trained forces ( republican guards ) did put up a fight but there was no long standing against 33 countries including world powers, superior tech, superior training and better funding.

GW1 was mostly desert warfare, so tell me what FaujHistorian would do in the desert with an AK-47 facing Apaches & A-10's, what will your 'big balls' do in that situation.

Big balls only help if associated with a boy with big brain.

if Sad-damn had big brain, he would not have attacked Kuwait.

And even if he had made a mistake, he should have pulled out of there when asked by international community.

Nothing against ordinary iraqi soldiers. Those poor fellas were just following orders.

Wrong orders off course.

Well said.

This is why Afghan AF is being equiped with prop-aircrafts.

I also say that Pakistan should not use F-16 and JF-17 against Talib-iches.

Just put WW-2 style guns on cessnas and give the these Islamist warrriors hell on 24 hours basis.

And if you do find on occasions some powerful AA weapons somewhere, then send in A-10s, F-16 etc. for short burst missions.

but most of the war against IS or other Islamists can be easily fought using cessnas with the following

1. night vision ability (similar to drones)
2. block of air to ground missiles
3. good ole aricraft mounted gun

Two pilots in each for 1 hour each on the "driving wheel" alternating flying duty.

these small puppies can be kept in the air by any small country AF with minimal cost compared to using jet fighter bombers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom