What's new

The USAF's Much Maligned A-10 Warthogs Are Deploying To Fight ISIS

Iraci forces had to face big numbers, huge technology gap, long range elimination of their CCC, destruction of bridges, energy supply, airfields etc etc Even if they had huge balls... It would not make much difference.

If you had send in A10 in normal situation against Iraci that could defend then there was no A10 victory.

Iraci forces had to face big numbers, huge technology gap, long range elimination of their CCC, destruction of bridges, energy supply, airfields etc etc Even if they had huge balls... It would not make much difference.

If you had send in A10 in normal situation against Iraci that could defend then there was no A10 victory.

Bhai sahib

noone sends A-10 in "normal situation".

They only go in during combat and in a full package of planes and ground support.

Bhai sahib

noone sends A-10 in "normal situation".

They only go in during combat and in a full package of planes and ground support.

That is why I said that A10 is nice but in an equal war it would have a difficult role. You can have the same situation with a Cesna with someone with a sniper in it. In normal condition it would be stupid. But if the USA just had everything destroyed by Tomahawks, and there would be dozens of F15's, F16's and F22 doing the cover... Well, the Cesna would be a superb plane according to that format. That doesn't make the Cesna objectively a top weapon platform that did superb job in that war by killing a high value asset...

Now this is a fighter that does not shy by showing its goodies under the belt

That is why I said that A10 is nice but in an equal war it would have a difficult role. You can have the same situation with a Cesna with someone with a sniper in it. In normal condition it would be stupid. But if the USA just had everything destroyed by Tomahawks, and there would be dozens of F15's, F16's and F22 doing the cover... Well, the Cesna would be a superb plane according to that format. That doesn't make the Cesna objectively a top weapon platform that did superb job in that war by killing a high value asset...

I get that bhai.

But please do not compare cesna with A-10. Please!

I agree. I love the A10. But I cannot understand the fact that humanity uses uranium bullets that cause cancer to everyone that is near the area where the bullets are used. Besides that one needs to be honest about a system and look at is as a value in a normal situation.

Anyway. Great the heat that Pakistan an India received a nobel peace price today. We are one. The children deserve a better future. Those two are examples that are worth to listen to. I feel proud that both are in one team.

1962c23f2b3ada4193fb891393bfef44.jpg

maligning them is pretty retarded...they have a very specific and designated role, for ground attack/CAS missions....i'd say given their track record @ Gulf War Part I they did a damn good job

whoever talks about retiring or maligning them is intellectually stupid

its mostly higher ups who are fixated on high-altitude strategic bombing, deployment of smart weapons fired at vast distances from the target

And what if a Cessna receive AA fire from somewhere even after bombardment of the contested area's majority of air defenses? Even after long-range bombardment, it doesn't guarantee that all threats to aircraft had been eliminated.

That is the reason why the A-10 has good armor, along with a great weapons package.

You forget the A10 was designed to fight Russian armor rolling over Western Europe. The Russians would have had fighters up and organic AA in their units. US doctrine and A-10 design were such that they could handle that.

US Military Doctrine since the Cold War

USAF is doomed from its own decisions. USAF should give away A-10s to Japan-Korea-Taiwan and offer them with upgrade and spares. I am sure these countries would love to use it against Chinese-N.Korean small boats and other vessels.

Iraqi army was large in numbers, small in balls.

Large in numbers, mostly untrained conscripts.

The air force and trained forces ( republican guards ) did put up a fight but there was no long standing against 33 countries including world powers, superior tech, superior training and better funding.

GW1 was mostly desert warfare, so tell me what FaujHistorian would do in the desert with an AK-47 facing Apaches & A-10's, what will your 'big balls' do in that situation.

At the distance involved in CAS, the A-10's RCS is irrelevant. Helos are much worse in terms of RCS anyway, and they are incorporated into the Army's battle doctrines. The A-10 would make a great addition to the Army's air assets. Let the Army completely own CAS. I am an Air Force guy and I have no problems saying that.

Considering modern day warfare,

Don't you think it would make economic and military sense to bring back prop craft ?

the enemy almost never will have an air force, or anti aircraft weapons to speak of.

Thus, assigning prop air craft to comb larger area with slow speed, agility and dirt cheap maintenance may make more sense.

Drones do all the above very well; however countries that do not possess expensive satellite linked real time networks
will have to opt for prop air crafts.

The ony real competion of A 10 was IL 102, but it never entered service.

really ?

Sukhoi Su-25 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom