What's new

The unimaginable power of the Saturn V

MarkusS

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Evryone knows the Saturn V is the most powerful machine ever build. But how powerful she really is?

Take a look at her 5 main engines:

saturn-v-engines-eaff419a2f0b16cb.jpg

Each of those engines has more than 3 times the power of the Space Shuttle main engine.

To get an impression of this beast you must see its gas generator in action. NASA roleld one out of the museum and tested it for data:

The gas generator is installed in each engine and generates the power for the fuel pumps. Thats right, that powerful thing you see there is just the fuel pump engine. The fuel pump alone in each engine has 55.000 horse powers. Thats 10.000 more than the RMS Titanic.

The power of the Saturn V is so gigantic. Even 20 miles away the noise was so loud that windows broke and the ground was shaking. The Saturn V all in all has 190.000.000 horse powers.

Many in germany take great pride in this machine, because she was basicly a complete german And it never failed. construction. I really want be in Flordia in 2017 when the SLS is planned to launch the first time. The SLS is the first rocket that will be equal powerful as teh Saturn V.

If you want see how the first manned flight with the Saturn V went, then watch this video of the Apollo 8 launch.

And idiots are comparing Soyuz with a Shuttle.

it must be Wernher von Braun standing beside the Engine.

it must be Wernher von Braun standing beside the Engine.

Yes it is Wernher von Braun. I know he also has controversial sides but for me he is one of my greatest heroes.

And idiots are comparing Soyuz with a Shuttle.

You can´t compare the Space Shuttle with a Soyuz. The Space Shuttle has 27 million horsepowers.

The Soyuz has 12 million horsepowers.

The Saturn V has 190 million horsepowers. Of course the power of rockets is meassured in thrust but the hp calculation gives a better understanding.

The Space Shuttle can lift 24 tons cargo into LEO (low earth orbit), the Soyuz roughly 6 tons and the Saturn V 120 tons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom