What's new

The Quran learning made mandatory for university students in Punjab

98% of Pakistanis (and Muslims in general) have not read the Quran in a language they understand. Still they somehow think they are Muslim!
And because the Quran never got a chance to reform their mind, Muslims today are some of the most backward, mindless people on earth.

Read the Quran. There is no excuse - it takes 2 weeks to finish it cover to cover and its actual size is the size of the average novel we read!

Forcing it though is not the solution. Is this basic ethic really so hard to understand?

@Cliftonite @Alternatiiv @jamahir
Folks, the discussion became a little bit heated and I said things that were rude and not polite. I am sorry for that.

You are welcome, bhai. :tup:

98% of Pakistanis (and Muslims in general) have not read the Quran in a language they understand. Still they somehow think they are Muslim!
And because the Quran never got a chance to reform their mind, Muslims today are some of the most backward, mindless people on earth.

Read the Quran. There is no excuse - it takes 2 weeks to finish it cover to cover and its actual size is the size of the average novel we read!

I have the English translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali and it is 1800+ pages long. I have read only the first few pages. Need to get a correct frame of mind to do it. May take a year.

I have the English translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali and it is 1800+ pages long. I have read only the first few pages. Need to get a correct frame of mind to do it. May take a year.

Its got Arabic, then English, and is written with tons of "foot notes". I have seen most of the major translations and distribute translations for free. In normal font, without doubling everything in Arabic, and without foot notes, its the size of a novel and can be finished in 2 weeks, comfortably.

I not only distribute free Qurans, I've read it cover to cover numerous times.

Forcing it though is not the solution. Is this basic ethic really so hard to understand?

I am sure non-Muslim, atheists who believe in evolution, and others are not going to be forced. Nobody is forced. If you want to get an education from these institutions and claim you are a Muslim, you should have no objections reading the Quran.

Seems all the hidden atheists and assorted hypocrites are coming out of the woodwork.

Its got Arabic, then English, and is written with tons of "foot notes".

Yes, and that is the challenge.

I have seen most of the major translations and distribute translations for free. In normal font, without doubling everything in Arabic, and without foot notes, its the size of a novel and can be finished in 2 weeks, comfortably.

I see.

Students will not be awarded degrees if they do not study the Quran with Urdu translation

Published: June 15, 2020 11:42 Ashfaq Ahmed, Assistant Editor
1_16a0805706f.1428347_2131585858_16a0805706f_medium.jpg

Chaudry Mohammad Sarwar, left, Governor of Punjab, has issued a notification to make the Quran learning mandatory for the university students in Punjab province of Pakistan. File Photo Image Credit: Gulf News/archive
Also in this package
Dubai: In a surprise move, Governor of the Punjab Province of Pakistan Chaudhry Mohammad Sarwar has made the teaching of the Quran with translation mandatory in all universities in the province.

Governor Sarwar has issued the notification on Sunday making it mandatory for all the students in the universities (except non-Muslims) to learn the Quran with Urdu translation. The notification states that a student will not be awarded a degree if he or she does not study the Quran — the holy book of Muslims — with the Urdu translation.

“We have decided to make it compuslory to for the university students to learning the Quran with translation. It is a unanimous decisions of vice-chancellors of all the univerities in the province,” Governor Sarwar tweeted in Urdu.

lg.php

lg.php

lg.php

Notification
Governor Sarwar issued the notification in his capacity as the Chancellor of all the universities in the province. In Pakistan, Governor of a province also acts as Chancellor of universities in the province and has the authority to make decisions related to courses and regulations in any university in a province.

“Lecturers in all universities of Punjab will teach the Quran with translation to all students,” said the notification. It added that the holy Book would be taught in addition to Islamic studies, which is already being taught at universities.

Governor Sarwar said that success in the world and the hereafter can only be achieved through proper implementation on the guidelines of the Holy Quran, Geo TV reported.

According to the notification of the committee, the Quran course may have equivalent to one credit hour per year as the relevant university feels appropriate.

The notification says that the assessment of the Quran course must require each candidate to pass/fail. The student may be further assigned a grade as in any other credit subject, if University feels necessary/appropriate. ”As a substitute, the non-Muslim students may be offered the subject of Ethics.

Vice Chancellors agree
In April, the Punjab governor had formed a seven-member committee of vice-chancellors to submit recommendations on how to make the teaching of the Quran with translation compulsory in all universities in the province. All the vice-chancellors agreed to the proposal of the governor.

He told the media on Sunday that the learning of the Quran with translation has been made mandatory because the Book is a complete code of life and its better understanding with translation would help improve the lives of people.

Jamaat-e-Islami influence
Most universities in Punjab have great influence of students from Islami-Jamiat Talaba-- an Islamic students outfit of famus religious group Jamaat-e-Islami. It has been there long-standing demand to include Islamic studies and the Quran teachings in the univeristies.

In Pakistan, Muslims children start learning the Quran as they start attending the primary school. However, they are taught the Quran only in Arabic without translation.

"The Quran learning with translation should be made mandatory in the primary school instead of making the university students attend the Quran classes. It seems the Governor Punjab has taken the decision to win support of the Islamic groups which are quite strong in the province, said a top official.

https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/pak...-for-university-students-in-punjab-1.72051304
Focusing too much on religion is the primary reason why most Muslim countries are still underdeveloped. Religious education is important but it should not be too extreme.

Pakistan has a poor education system, healthcare and technological base. Pakistan need scientists, doctors and engineers to develop their nation. Imams and Maulanas cannot develop Pakistan or any muslim country.

Pakistan should follow Turkey. Turkey is a country which stresses more on science, technology and medicine.

@Yaseen1 and @Pakistani Fighter you guys are talking like a typical village Imam.

Its got Arabic, then English, and is written with tons of "foot notes". I have seen most of the major translations and distribute translations for free. In normal font, without doubling everything in Arabic, and without foot notes, its the size of a novel and can be finished in 2 weeks, comfortably.

I am sure non-Muslim, atheists who believe in evolution, and others are not going to be forced. Nobody is forced. If you want to get an education from these institutions and claim you are a Muslim, you should have no objections reading the Quran.

Seems all the hidden atheists and assorted hypocrites are coming out of the woodwork.

Muslims are forced. Now you're also going to decide who is Muslim and who isn't? If someone refuses to accept Quran as a compulsory corse because it has absolutely zero relevance to his Science degree, he is a non Muslim... because some Bengali says so.

Lmao.

Wonder why atheists have to hide in the first place. Oh, yes, probably because maniacs like you threaten to behead them otherwise. Get real.

Why do you need to rule a society ? Unless you mean a progressive political system that should govern a society.

these students are future politicians of our society, Quran is best book for understanding how to Govern and create a functioning society .

Students will not be awarded degrees if they do not study the Quran with Urdu translation

Chaudry Mohammad Sarwar, left, Governor of Punjab, has issued a notification to make the Quran learning mandatory for the university students in Punjab province of Pakistan. File Photo Image Credit: Gulf News/archive
Also in this package
Dubai: In a surprise move, Governor of the Punjab Province of Pakistan Chaudhry Mohammad Sarwar has made the teaching of the Quran with translation mandatory in all universities in the province.

Governor Sarwar has issued the notification on Sunday making it mandatory for all the students in the universities (except non-Muslims) to learn the Quran with Urdu translation. The notification states that a student will not be awarded a degree if he or she does not study the Quran — the holy book of Muslims — with the Urdu translation.

“We have decided to make it compuslory to for the university students to learning the Quran with translation. It is a unanimous decisions of vice-chancellors of all the univerities in the province,” Governor Sarwar tweeted in Urdu.

Notification
Governor Sarwar issued the notification in his capacity as the Chancellor of all the universities in the province. In Pakistan, Governor of a province also acts as Chancellor of universities in the province and has the authority to make decisions related to courses and regulations in any university in a province.

“Lecturers in all universities of Punjab will teach the Quran with translation to all students,” said the notification. It added that the holy Book would be taught in addition to Islamic studies, which is already being taught at universities.

Governor Sarwar said that success in the world and the hereafter can only be achieved through proper implementation on the guidelines of the Holy Quran, Geo TV reported.

According to the notification of the committee, the Quran course may have equivalent to one credit hour per year as the relevant university feels appropriate.

The notification says that the assessment of the Quran course must require each candidate to pass/fail. The student may be further assigned a grade as in any other credit subject, if University feels necessary/appropriate. ”As a substitute, the non-Muslim students may be offered the subject of Ethics.

Vice Chancellors agree
In April, the Punjab governor had formed a seven-member committee of vice-chancellors to submit recommendations on how to make the teaching of the Quran with translation compulsory in all universities in the province. All the vice-chancellors agreed to the proposal of the governor.

He told the media on Sunday that the learning of the Quran with translation has been made mandatory because the Book is a complete code of life and its better understanding with translation would help improve the lives of people.

Most universities in Punjab have great influence of students from Islami-Jamiat Talaba-- an Islamic students outfit of famus religious group Jamaat-e-Islami. It has been there long-standing demand to include Islamic studies and the Quran teachings in the univeristies.

In Pakistan, Muslims children start learning the Quran as they start attending the primary school. However, they are taught the Quran only in Arabic without translation.

"The Quran learning with translation should be made mandatory in the primary school instead of making the university students attend the Quran classes. It seems the Governor Punjab has taken the decision to win support of the Islamic groups which are quite strong in the province, said a top official.

https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/pak...-for-university-students-in-punjab-1.72051304
Very good news.

Why are non Muslims exempt? Education should be for everyone.

I wish something similar was done in India too.

Also in this package

lg.php

lg.php

lg.php

Notification

Vice Chancellors agree

Good, we have been asking this for a long time. We need to teach proper Islam, so that improper teachers outside will not be able to sway our people due to their ignorance.

Quran should be taught in schools and at home from the very beginning of a human life. And alhamdulillah people do that and will continue doing that. There is no compulsion in our religion BUT why don't you understand that ISLAM is the FOUNDATION of Pakistan? Pakistan is not Turkey that was founded by an Islam-hating secularist. I agree that there is no real need for a Quran curriculum for an engineering degree and most politicians have nothing to do with Islam and want to score some points in the awaam. Yes, I understand and I also say that Pakistan is far away from a good Islamic role model. That said: you and @Cliftonite hate on Islam and describe it as the main reason for everything bad happening on earth. And this I cannot stand. As Muslim and as Pakistani.

Stop taking knowledge from Mullahs. Organized Religious Structures are degeneration and an alien concept to Islamic education. You know what the USP of my beloved Prophet (PBUH) was? YOU DON'T NEED an Intermediator. Quran is understandable and easy to follow. The religion is easy. But if you think Semi-Hindu rituals of our Sufi-Dufis or self-flaggelation or suicide bombing can be found in the religion of Islam, than you are seriously mistaken. You are biased against Islam and see in it something evil.

I am critizising people hating on Islam. Why am I a victim now? Pakistan is an Islamic country not the
Atheist-Agno-Semi-Hindu-Wannabe-White-Republic of Coconutstan.

What's wrong in learning how the foundations of our country work? Pakistan is a Muslim country and I think the Christians, Ahmadis and Hindus living in Pakistan know that too. Social studies here in Germany were based on the Western European Model there was no extra curriculum for us Muslims. So?

To answer your question. The Quran is not meant to help you in studying a specific topic (it can though and it does!), Quran is the last message of Allah preaching Tawheed in the first place. And as I mentioned earlier: knowing facts, knowing how to use a formula or googling stuff is not education. If you want people only knowing facts you will have a depressed society without soul.

Thank you! The Prophet (PBUH) strived for excellence and he is my main driver and role model. But these leftist wannabe-enlightend people think that Islam is evil and we should become Semi-Atheist-Hindus.

Great post brother. Your input has been invaluable.

If anyone starts passing labels like fundamentalist or Islamist, simply report them.

There is no reason to discuss posters, let's just talk about the topic.

Pakistan is an Islamic state and a few people cannot accept it.

It is the closest to modern communism / socialism among all older religions. Please read my linked thread.

Mazdakism is the closest. Allama Iqbal used to refer to your communism/socialism as a new form of mazdakism.

Pakistan's history and mindset makes your ideology very unappealing.

In India maybe you may have some closeness to these concepts, but not us.

That is the translation with the full tafsir. It is a bit difficult to read for everyday reading, as it is cross-referenced with relevant hadith and Islamic concepts.

I recommend Muhammad Muhsin Khan, who likes to use Arabic words with the use parentheses to include all diverse meanings of those terms. It is also pocket sized and a fast read.

The best solution is to learn Standard Arabic and read Quran in its original language. You may still have to look up root words to find the meanings of uncommon words, but you can get a better gist of the Quran.

Actually learning العربیہ الفصحی should be mandatory in Pakistan and start from a young age. It will solve this issue of Mullahism and religious illiteracy.

Thanks for your post brother. Are you living in the West or in BD?

There is actually space for evolutionists in Islam, we should get them benefit of the doubt. I have seen many science supremacists change into religious Muslims later in life. It is the nature of our age.

Nice but Should be implemented in schools and end the madarsa culture.

Every Pakistani should have a basic knowledge of Islam, even Non-Muslims. We should empower them to be able to debate with Muslims if they want to defend themselves in court. Our state is Islamic, not going to change.

This is a nice first step. I would love to help design the syllabus for this endeavor. I wonder who is doing that.

I have some experience in this field, although it is not my day job.

Totally agree with this!

Parents spend thousands of rupees per year to teach children Quran but zero focus on translation.

Younger generation needs to understand Quran. Plain and simple. Just translation alone is a very good start to put many on the straight path. Reading Quran with translation alone will make a huge difference for the students.

A lot of firqay created nonsense will be nullified as well. Brelvi and Deobandi firqay are going to freak out soon enough.

Government should make it a law that all Quran in mosques and madrassahs should be with translation! All without should be removed.

Mazdakism is the closest. Allama Iqbal used to refer to your communism/socialism as a new form of mazdakism.

I will read up on it.

That is the translation with the full tafsir. It is a bit difficult to read for everyday reading, as it is cross-referenced with relevant hadith and Islamic concepts.

I see.

I recommend Muhammad Muhsin Khan, who likes to use Arabic words with the use parentheses to include all diverse meanings of those terms. It is also pocket sized and a fast read.

OK.

The best solution is to learn Standard Arabic and read Quran in its original language. You may still have to look up root words to find the meanings of uncommon words, but you can get a better gist of the Quran.

Then that is more or less a long term goal.

OK, logging-off now. :wave:

Totally agree with this!

Parents spend thousands of rupees per year to teach children Quran but zero focus on translation.

Younger generation needs to understand Quran. Plain and simple. Just translation alone is a very good start to put many on the straight path. Reading Quran with translation alone will make a huge difference for the students.

A lot of firqay created nonsense will be nullified as well. Brelvi and Deobandi firqay are going to freak out soon enough.

Government should make it a law that all Quran in mosques and madrassahs should be with translation! All without should be removed.

Originally, I was one of the people that recommended this to the PTI think tank back in 2012. I'm glad my input somehow helped. Alhamdulillah.

Back
Top Bottom